Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sc problems

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BlitzWing's Avatar
    Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    currently I've just taken the belt off and I can drive it minus boost, PS and AC but its bad, really bad. They have agreed to a refund but they seem to be dragging their feet when its coming to an agreement. I want most if not all my money since nothing is as promised and what they have done is poor quality or just dangerous. They offered £250 of the original £600 they wanted to keep some to cover the dyno time but I dont see why I should pay for a dyno run on the car when it was clearly not ready and after the 2nd visit is not even accurate. Sadly this is looking like a legal battle in the making. They also told me they fired the mechanic as if that would mean I'd drop the case. I really dont care that they fired the guy I'm still without a working car.

I will keep the MS installed but once I get the money back its off to another shop to do the job right. currently its just sitting on the drive I've not even turned it over in 2 weeks now.

I did a much bigger "review" over on a UK board needless to say these pics are just the highlights in whats been a shity few weeks. But hey the TDR tensioner has shipped.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

BlitzWing (02-22-2015)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    I have no idea how the law works in England but it seems like you should have some recourse if you don't get your money back. This is crazy incompetence and most Yanks reading this don't know that £600 is $920!

No todo que es oro brilla.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

BlitzWing (02-22-2015)

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    Garage are still screwing with me. A 3rd person said to be representing them as given me an offer of £200 thats £50 less then before saying I refused to give them a 2nd chance (actually it would of been a 3rd at this point) saying it was my fault for collecting it too soon despite the fact I contacted them and arranged a time etc etc. they seem to forget that everything has been taken down in e-mails and photos taken etc. They also put the missing parts down to me not giving them time to box it up and clean the car... still does not explain how parts still went missing and how they magically moved from a locked trunk to their work desks.

But on a lighter note I fitted my TDR tensioner on Saturday its almost spot on but I need to align the SC. its flat against the PS pulley and looks flat with a ruler when I rest it on the thermostat housing however when cranking over it seems to skip a rib. I have a feeling that the reduction pulley sticks out a little too far so I need to push the SC back about 5mm give or take. I'd do it today but sadly being England its gray and raining and I have no way to work on it in the dry.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlitzWing For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (02-22-2015)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Sometimes the best work is the stuff you learn to do yourself, regardless of the learning curve. Good stuff, keep moving forward!

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    the offending belt

the gap between the pulley and the SC looks a bit bigger then normal but nothing that could not be dialed out I guess. Any clues on the make or spec? I was given it with the kit so I've got no clue.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mx54life's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Sometimes the best work is the stuff you learn to do yourself, regardless of the learning curve. Good stuff, keep moving forward!
    ^^^I can attest to that.

Now I have the same SC set-up as yours. Do you have PS and AC? Your belt looks too long, I have AC only and I use 300 mm belt. Also u need to place a couple of washers on the front side of the SC mount to straighten it up. I will take pics when I get home later. IMO MS is an over kill for an M45. Get one of those non-adjustable black box pretty in expensive got one for $60. One that has a vacuum sensor. They 're programmed moderately for probably a 160-170 hp rating and trust me the driveability is awesome. Reliability is uncompromised. The real advantage of the non-programmable is that you can reach a decent result and then u will have time to enjoy and drive the car and more importantly improve your driving skills. Now the programmable stuff is good if you "truly" know what you want. And truly ready to take on the next "weak link" that you will discover ha enough I am revealing my age lol. But yeah as KFJ hinted you are now on the next level so take it on son and enjoy the beast upon you called miata.

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    Oh a few of those photos are after I took the tension out of the belt to correct it. its a gates 4pk1280 it fits fine but maybe for the next one I'll go a size down.

I've got a few spare washers to make into shims going to try one in the morning before I go to work if the weather is nice and I've got the time. The nuts and bolts side seems to be just about done. I've got a few local fans who have offered to help most rocking the same SC and MS2 the only difference being they are both NB's so its not going to be quite as easy but some simple comparing should show whats going wrong.

I still have the black boxes that the original owner had given me but with the MS installed with the wideband and IAT I dont want to have to swap it all back to make less power when just a good afternoon with a tuner could put it all right.
    Last edited by BlitzWing; 02-22-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    tried fiddling with the bracket today but its already maxed out. For the time being I've added a 2nd shim and once the battery is charged I''l give it another go tomorrow. The bracket was repaired after a crack so I have a feeling whats why I might need more then 1 shim (however the past owner told he he only used one but then again I also have an after market manifold to deal with he didn't). Also with the forward bolt out its natural resting spot was at least 2 or 3 mm from the engine so maybe it was a bit off. If not I will do a run to the parts store and get a cheaper shorter belt just to test the idea. I also need to sort out some sort of MAF delete but that can wait I guess.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BlitzWing For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (02-28-2015)

Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    I needed to use two shims and if you don't have Power Steering but have AC try the 300 mm belt. It gave me a perfect fit with the TDR SC pulley kit that I think you also have.

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    sadly got both AC and PS. I'm currently trying to use the gates 4pk1280 might step down to 1240 as I have a ton of room to play with

Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    My bad it is not the 300 mm but rather "500 mm" belt known here stateside as 4pk1270........I am visual so here is a pics of it installed with the TDR pulley kit and just AC no PS. I reckon even with the PS you would have enough/plenty adjustment slack left. Since the pulleys are not fully stretched out or compressed yet.

BTW here are the two shims I was referring to over the front bolt of the SC bracket and it will straighten the belt placement in relation to the rest of the pulleys. Without this shims I had belt grinding, rubber powder all over.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mx54life For This Useful Post:

BlitzWing (03-01-2015)

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    thanks for the photos. I noticed your pulley sits a ton closer to the SC then mine. Maybe that's down to the early cone design but that gave me the idea to double check the pulley they fitted.

So I'll cut to the chase. the pulley they fitted is backwards. I tried to compensate by moving the SC back but it was maxxed out even now. I did add another shim but I'm quite sure it did nothing.

First photo to show I'm pointing the original pulley the right way (notice the JR logo)

Ok now lets lay it on top of the reduction pulley. Easy to see at this angle that the longer nose needs to be pointing out while

now lets lay a ruler over them both to get them aligned. you can see that the original pulley is in the perfect spot.

I did some basic measurements and they seem to be the same width and the short nose's are about the same length meaning just flipping the pulley would solve the problem
    Last edited by BlitzWing; 03-01-2015 at 12:33 PM.

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    Got the old pulley on now and the belt is fine with no skipping! reduction pulley would fit but I'd need to make a 1mm shim of some sort to get it in the sweet spot. Bad news? I've got a nasty leak I cant pin point the origin but its pooling under the engine. All the hoses are dry so I'm suspecting the pump or the gasket around the Thermostat housing connecting to the block. I'm tempted to say its the housing as the same garage who did my SC did the housing the 2nd time and I'm willing to put money on it that rather then using a new gasket they used some of that instant gasket goo. They used it for a fair few other areas including the seal around the thermostats house and the dummy throttle body and Idle control valve. Also the pump and inlet pipe were new last year and have not shown me any problems till now.

Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    Is this a 1.6 or 1.8? Oil leak?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast