Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    1.8 and coolant so no short nose problems luckly

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mx54life's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    If your leaking coolant that is not good. You definitely need to track down the source. Check the WP. Hoses? Freeze plugs?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mx54life For This Useful Post:

BlitzWing (03-18-2015)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BlitzWing's Avatar
    Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    So with all my other problems one that I think might also be related is that my battery keeps draining I charge it every time I use the car and I only ever run it to test the belt for the last 3 months so while I thought it was running dead due to lack of use and small drains from things like the radio and alarm I suspected the wideband of being behind it. I had my eye on the WB before as I just could not figure out at what point they cut the 0.5v for the signal.

Now I originally thought that they cut into the stereo and used the Blue and red (constant 12v) rather then the Blue and Black (accessory) but upon pulling the tombstone out I'm actually a little confused. I seen the cord for the AEM running down and then up behind my dash I gave it a tug and I noticed these two wires pop out. I give each a tug and they are connected. So now I know the white 0.5v signal wire from the AEM is not connected to anything and possibly the black and red are directly connected to the ignition possibly?

Attached Images Attached Images

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    so turns out my rad had cracked but it was the side facing the condenser so thats good I get to try out the Mishimoto life time warranty. Also got this today in what might be the worst timing so far.

in other news I think my battery pains might be down to my own lack of understanding of the Westco. turns out it needs a week on the trickle charger not 3 days so my over night charging has probably only done about %5 of what I thought it did.

Also my yearly MOT is due on the 8th this gives me a deadline to get it some what drivable.

So the plan is to wire in the wide band once the rad is replaced, see if I can get a tune for this MS2 and then take it to another shop to do a final tune.

Then its going to court. The shop (Blendini Motorsport) are just ignoring my E-mails so I'm putting together a letter to give them a final chance then next month if I hear nothing its off to small claims... I really dont want to do this but the money wasted is just a little too much to just brush off as experience
    Last edited by BlitzWing; 03-18-2015 at 02:59 PM.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Wait...the signal feed for the O2 sensor was not connected to anything except the stock O2 wire? Holy crap, I can't decide if that shop that did the work is negligent or willfully ignorant.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

BlitzWing (03-18-2015)

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    yeah the wide band just has earth and a live form some place under the drivers side dash. the 0.5v aux connection just dangles out and the stock wires are untouched. for context this is the same company who said that it will run totally fine on a MAF till I gave it to them a 2nd time. So thinking about it they expected a car to work normally just off the MAF, ECU temp coolant sensor and CAS. Now at least they plugged in the IAT.

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    So update time. The guy who I was in contact with but then dropped off the face of the earth suddenly got back in contact months later... He's pissed it seems. So despite sending me my missing parts by mail addressed to my user name he's told me he's only just been made aware of my review thread on MX5Nutz. He's not happy. He's claiming I'm breaching data protection laws by quoting E-mails and how if I dont change my tune they will sue me for slander. Oh but he did make me an offer to refund me £250 plus take a 3rd crack at it. Also he informed me that they had been making every effort to be fair and to get this sorted as soon as we could. (yet this has been going on since Dec '14)

I replied quoting the last E-mail I had gotten from someone else at his place telling me its just £200 as a final offer. And telling him how given the massive gaps in time between E-mails and differing offers he can see how wires could be crossed. I listed his offer back to him in clear bullet points just to make sure its all clear what we are both offering... and now its been almost a week and no reply.

But in other news Mishimoto got my new rad to me quickly shame my car is locked up till tuesday.

One thing I did notice and I did say this before is that since the 2nd trip my fuel gauge is at 100% constantly. Now my understanding is that the only way that can happen is if the circuit is getting no resistance. I also traced the wide band under the drivers side dash... I'm wondering did they splice into the wire going to or coming from the fuel gauge? guess its going to have to wait till Wednesday then I'll go to town in the interior and pull it all apart and finally take a look at the tune.
    Last edited by BlitzWing; 04-03-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given

sc problems

Not sure how the law works there, but since you paid for his services, you own that data. Unless you signed a non-disclosure, tell him to pound sand or talk to your attorney. Leave it up until you hear from his, or he refunds you the full amount. Clearly this ass clown sold you a faulty bill of goods/services and his reputation is at stake. No cease and desist? Piss off.

He isn't pissed, he's scared. Rightfully so.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (04-05-2015),BlitzWing (04-06-2015)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    I agree. Given that England has several centuries more experience evolving their common-sense laws than we have, I can't imagine that douchenozzle has any case, especially in the collective opinion of a great forum like MX5nutz.

No todo que es oro brilla.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

BlitzWing (04-06-2015)

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    I know he's talking s**t. I deal with the Data Protection act almost daily. Its more to do with corporations and public agencies selling customer info (like medical data and finance info) then sharing personal emails and neither of us has said or even implied any about an NDA. As for Slander well UK slander laws are so f**ked up and complex that just getting a layer will cost more then what I paid them. Plus I've made sure to document everything so if he did bring the law into this it could not make it to court unless he wanted to loose... badly.

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    So I'm not really the best of logging ECU info but I've took a few screenshots of what Tunerstudio has given me.

In the first photo the AFR is fixed at 12.10 regardless of what the car is doing. keep in mind the wideband was not connected to the ECU in any way when I got it back, I've since connected it via the DB37 connector but the settings have not been changed so its not using it.

spark table

VE table

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Satisaii's Avatar
    Drives
    2020 Polymetal GT
    Thanks Given
    File>Project>Properties, gets a dialog box. Go to settings and make sure that you have the wideband - AFR (Default) selected.

Then go Tools>Unlock Calibrations. Unlock the calibrations (if locked). Burn that.

Tools>Calibrate AFR Table. Choose your sensor from the drop down menu and write it to controller.

Relock the calibrations, power cycle the MS and see if it reads the same as the AEM gauge.

I did this walk through based on my MS3X install. There may be some difference for a MS2.

If the 2 gauges don't read the same you may need to do a custom linear wideband. I have only done one AEM install and it did not work right with the units in the drop down menu.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Satisaii For This Useful Post:

BlitzWing (04-12-2015)

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    I've had a fair bit of luck with it today just toying around. (just wish I had wifi outside as posting this would be quicker).

I've had to use custom linear settings for the wideband: 1.09v = 12.8 and 4.06=18.1 as its a AEM Uego 30-4100.
    I've reset the TPS (that photo above was with my foot off the pedal)
    I've set the CLT settings the same as this site this miata
    I've set the IAT to GM as I believe that was the sensor in my kit (I've PM'd the seller to confirm)
    I'm using a base map sent to me by the guy who built my ECU (reverant who's been a great help so far.)
    the only things I've changed were the redline (slightly sooner at 7k and by default spark cut out was off I've turned it on)

Here is a log of the Idle after its warmed up
    Log

and the current MSQ file
    MSQ

after I set the sensors the idle seemed ok but you can see in the log that AFR is off the charts until I floor it. Also you can see the temp creeping up this could be that the fans need to kick in sooner or more likely its more down to me having the hood closed and the car not moving.

Also the CL idle is green even with that high AFR, however my graph should want the afr to be around 14.7 so despite the VE table being for a SC car it looks like it might be off.

Update I think I've got all the constants right so I'm just going to do a few passes with ve analyze live and see what happens to that AFR
    Last edited by BlitzWing; 04-13-2015 at 02:27 AM.

Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    just thought I'd do a little update. I paid for the full edition of tunerstudio... best idea I've had all year.

I had to play with the AEMs settings a bit more they finally come close to matching the MS2's AFR gauge and with that done I re-tuned my idle and ran VE analyze live a few times for about an hour every night after work. Worked like a charm my afr's are looking great.

Also used the WUE tool as well but might need a few more passes to get that set perfectly but so far its turned cold starts into a much less painful experience.

All in all it's basically turned this car into a smooth sounding, smooth running project again. Still need to get its MOT done so its all legal again but very, very happy with the progress.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BlitzWing For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (04-15-2015)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Gotta love your determination! Nice work!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

BlitzWing (04-16-2015)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast