Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Customizing Hot Wheels

Drives
    '99 Brilliant Black Turbo
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 698 Posts

Customizing Hot Wheels

Decided to mess with a 510 Wagon just a bit, removed most of the tampos, added some details and a set of real riders, and then put it back in its plastic prison. First time I've opened and resealed a car back in the package, sort of fun.

I've got a lot less horsepower - luckily they are Japanese horses - usually in better shape and more motivated.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RotorNutFD3S For This Useful Post:

atank (01-15-2015),Phatmiata (12-29-2014),tsingson (12-29-2014),WASABI (12-29-2014)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    How did you open it and reseal it??

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

tsingson (12-29-2014)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Pretty easy to do actually:

- Brush acetone on the back of the card with a hobby paint brush. Watch it soak through from the front of the card to check coverage, don't worry, it will evaporate and leave no residue so nothing is getting hurt. Your main goal is to ensure thick and uniform coverage to release the glue and blister. The tip I was given was to release just the sides and bottom of the blister and that makes it easier to reseal later (and it does because everything lines up like it did when factory sealed). You may have to do some trial and error work here to see how much acetone it takes, I accidentally ripped my first attempt in a small spot because while it appeared that the acetone had soaked through there wasn't quite enough yet to release the glue, it takes more instead of less.

- After you've released the blister from the card, use something to keep them from touching until the residue dries. If they touch while everything is still wet they will become stuck together again. I use a popsicle stick on its side.

- To reseal simply take Elmer's clear drying glue and apply a thin, uniform layer to the blister where it meets the card. You'll have to figure out what works for you to hold the blister away from the card while doing this (all while preventing the car from falling out and ripping the top of the blister off the card) but it's doable if you're careful.

- Press the blister to the card and immediately wipe away any excess that shows up, start from one side and work your way around. Then place popsicle sticks on the front and back of the card and use office clips to clamp the blister to the card. The sticks will provide a more even clamping force and prevent the clips from damaging the card. This is pictured below.

- The glue doesn't state a particular drying time, I left it for 30 minutes and that was sufficient. Good luck!

I've got a lot less horsepower - luckily they are Japanese horses - usually in better shape and more motivated.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to RotorNutFD3S For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (12-30-2014),atank (01-15-2015),fwdtamiya (12-29-2014),Hammerhead (12-30-2014),Paul B (10-31-2015),Phatmiata (12-29-2014),TNRooster3 (07-19-2015),tsingson (12-30-2014),WASABI (12-29-2014)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power treeafodo's Avatar
    Drives
    a rustbucket.
    Thanks Given
    Clever! I want to try to modify a couple cars.
    Austin.
    Lexy (Little Hobo) - Transforming from Wreck to Race Car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueiii View Post
    Your priorities seem a bit messed up to me, although that's because I try to get my lap times to decrease.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to treeafodo For This Useful Post:

RotorNutFD3S (12-29-2014),TNRooster3 (07-19-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by treeafodo View Post
    Clever! I want to try to modify a couple cars.
    Go for it! It's a lot of fun! This one was drilled apart to add some detail inside the "cabin" and to swap the wheels but you don't always have to do that.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    what screws are you using? where can I buy them online?

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I'm not. I'm using Loctite Super Glue as it's easier and still very secure. I paint over the super glue once it's dried and it actually looks very clean as long as the glue is applied smoothly. I did a drill/tap/screw with a custom a while back, it does come out nice but not worth it to me as I'm not selling or competing with any of them. If I ever get that serious I would switch to using screws but right now I'm still learning and what I'm making does not come close to what I've seen online and in person.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I moved this into its own thread so we don't loose this info in that 38 page thread

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (12-31-2014),RotorNutFD3S (12-30-2014),tsingson (12-30-2014)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    That's pretty nice. I Might have to try it on some loosies first.

Drives
    1993-LE Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 523 Posts
    I used to do this as a kid when I was big into model building, but I never tried putting them back into the blister.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Sell on Ebay as an error and profit

I doubt that you'd do that but a few people do.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Kinda makes me want to install tiny LED headlights.

No todo que es oro brilla.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

tsingson (01-05-2015)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Paul B's Avatar
    Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 575 Posts

Bigfoot trucks!

I know this is a Roadster forum but I love monster trucks, especially Bigfoot since I was 2 yrs old.

Some of the fans of the Walton Walmart special F150 casting may not like this, but just hours after the truck arrived in the mail, it was stripped of paint and chopped up.

The plan for this is to make it look like the Retro Bigfoot Racer monster truck. Old school looking body on new style chassis. Attachment 13277

I've already chopped off everything in the bed of the F150 and then cut off the support posts and tailgate from the Blue Thunder body.

I will transfer the tailgate and support posts from the Blue Thunder body onto the F150 body. Open up the wheel wells and arches then prime, paint, glue in the windshield and mount it on the Monster Jam chassis. Then print and apply decals.

Attachment 13278

Here are my Bigfoot projects I am working on. The large metal body is getting ready for decals to arrive in the mail. The other old school Ford body I had from when I was a kid and was in bad shape. It's in the works to look like the original Bigfoot 1 or 2 mounted on an older style Monster Jam chassis. The one in the back right was an early 90s Hot Wheels Bigfoot that was beat up and will be going onto a newer Monster Jam chassis.

This customizing thing is a great inexpensive winter hobby when I can't drive or work on the Miata.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (01-15-2015),tsingson (01-15-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Never been a fan of the Walmart truck.

I have a few monster trucks here, Grave Digger, of course, a '57 Chevy, and the rest are all themed trucks, Batman, TMNT, Ironman, Superman, other super heros. My kids love running over stuff with them. They have some of the shoebox size as well.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

Paul B (01-15-2015)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Paul B's Avatar
    Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    Never been a fan of the Walmart truck.

I have a few monster trucks here, Grave Digger, of course, a '57 Chevy, and the rest are all themed trucks, Batman, TMNT, Ironman, Superman, other super heros. My kids love running over stuff with them. They have some of the shoebox size as well.
    Only thing special about the Walmart edition was the RealRider tires. I'll use those for something else. The base, grille and rear bumper was still crappy chrome plastic so I didn't mind drilling it apart immediately. Only the bumpers & grille will be used.

Hot Wheels Monster Jam lineup look nice and abundant. I don't mind sacrificing a few trucks to make Bigfoots. Bigfoot hasn't had nice die cast since the Muscle Machine series almost 10 years ago and those are expensive on Ebay. I'd rather create my own so they match the Monster Jam trucks.

I've been trying to collect (or create) Monster trucks to show my son when he's old enough what I grew up with. Trucks like Bigfoot (all of them), Grave Digger (all of them), USA-1, Excalibur, King Krunch, Virginia Giant, etc. Once he's old enough I'm sure he will find ones that he enjoys. Some of the theme trucks are really cool looking. And I imagine we will have plenty of the larger scale ones too.
    Last edited by Paul B; 01-16-2015 at 07:30 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (01-21-2015)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast