Thread: Which long tube headers for LS3 (Corvette)?

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts

Which long tube headers for LS3 (Corvette)?

Platform: 2012 Corvette Grand Sport with LS3, dry sump oil, NPP (dual mode exhaust) and future plans for a centri supercharger.

I know there's a few V8s running around here so just wanted to check with you folks about your opinion on headers. Yes, I'm part of the Corvette forum too but I'm reading all I can here and there.

One debate is whether $750 OBX catted headers are comparable to $1800 catted Kooks. I read a lot of good things about OBX and the price point seems great because I just can't justify spending nearly two grand for bent exhaust tubes. I don't race so I don't need to squeeze that last tenth of horsepower at 7000 RPM, just want a deeper growl and better flow once supercharged.

I've never bought headers for an LS so I'm looking for any input including for things I might not have thought to ask.

No todo que es oro brilla.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! charchri4's Avatar
    Drives
    96 LS1 swapped Miata
    Thanks Given
    I've run OBX stuff on a couple F bodies and had good luck with them. For the money the quality was very good.
    Jim Stainer
    96 Miata powered by an 02 Camaro SS
    95 Miata automatic, all options all stock but if an LFX auto came along cheap...
    http://jimsmiata.blogspot.com/

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! modernbeat's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I don't do business with Kooks any more. Too many small issues and bad customer service. Best fit and longevity (along with best performance) we've gotten is from American Racing Headers.

http://americanracing.reachlocal.net...rs/ProductID/3
    Jason McDaniel

Thanks Given
    I've been reading a lot more and wow, didn't know there was so much to understand about headers, collectors, size of H pipe and relationship between torque and the sizes of pipes.

Apparently, people with OBX are very happy with fit, finish, performance and lingevity. Haven't found anything bad about them but these are folks who generally want to put a set of headers on and call it a day. For supercharging though, it looks unavoidable that I'm back into the premium stuff.

I read lots of positive reviews about Kooks, so so reviews about LG and nothing but things about American Racing. AR is the only one who charges for O2 sensor extension harnesses ($100+) but if you're already into $2200 headers, what's another C note I guess. Still researching though so I'm going to check out Borla and Pfadt's "Tri-Y" idead.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/products_...e_headers.html

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I gotta tell you, through all the car builds over the years, the best experience I can offer if to plan accordingly for the full package you intend to do. Cost-wise, I am getting wiser as I age. I will spend more for quality than facing the proposition of having to go in and re-do something I cut a corner on. The value proposition decreases if I need to spend time to back to fix something because the fit isn't right. If there is a piece I absolutely value, I will often wait to see if I can land it used from someone else who decided to go in another direction.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    I gotta tell you, through all the car builds over the years, the best experience I can offer if to plan accordingly for the full package you intend to do. Cost-wise, I am getting wiser as I age. I will spend more for quality than facing the proposition of having to go in and re-do something I cut a corner on. The value proposition decreases if I need to spend time to back to fix something because the fit isn't right. If there is a piece I absolutely value, I will often wait to see if I can land it used from someone else who decided to go in another direction.

^^^ This ^^^ Quality Parts over Cheap price parts FTW

Thanks Given
    I'm tending to agree and what's ironic is that I'm usually the first to offer the same advice to others. Well crap. There goes my soundbar with subwoofer. I'm going to go for either the American Racing or Pfadt as soon as I see some dyno results. I posted the same on Gearheads and one opinion was why bother with headers if I'm just going to choke them off with cats but my response was that modern, high-flow cats are not an obstacle and that I don't want a fume headache at every red light.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Catless on a daily driver is a bad idea.

I would suggest maybe doing the sound system while waiting for the dyno and other results. As a DD, priorities to me begin with stuff I will enjoy everyday.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Jeg's offers free shipping on everything. Buy from jeg's man, they have good stuff for your vette.