Page 1 of 25 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything RDU 2015

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts

Everything RDU 2015

Man oh man, do I have a story for you guys. And the rest of the Miata community really. It'll be forth coming in a week or so. It's how a friend and I spent the end of 2014 and the beginning of 2015. Maybe I'm making it out to be more than it is, but after the experience we had, the trials and tribulations, the joyous triumph in the end, all of the trouble and hijinks, and the car it all revolves around, I feel like it's a story worth writing about. Which is why it'll be a week or so before you read it.

I'm going through and writing it out in it's entirety, trying to sort out the events in the order they happened with as much honesty as possible and making an attempt to get the facts straight. I'll also be collecting the info, pics, and video from my friend to put it all along with what I have. All to tell the story with as much detail as possible.

Basically, we had one hell of a trip to get my friend's dream Miata. I'm sure you want to know just what that is, but I don't want to spoil it. You'll just have to be patient. What I will say is that it has a lot of goodies on it and has seen some shit in it's lifetime. Saying it's been around the block a few times is an understatement. It's not the greatest or fastest car ever, but I feel it's pretty special considering it's past.

That's all for now, don't try to pry any more info, I'm not telling until it's ready. Man, I hope I don't disappoint.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    What the hell is up with the tease, Jamie?

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    I have 2 broke-ass cars right now.

Acura decided not to start in colder weather last month. Figured it was the battery (which was the original) so I bought a new one at that time. problem went away until last week. Every morning, I'll get about half a second's worth of VERY slow turnover before it just quits cranking. From what I've read, it's probably the starter. Looks like it's a matter of pulling the IM off to get access to it. Puts the F.U. in fun...

Miata has almost the exact same issue. It will turn over slowly then grind, then stop turning. I had to push-start the car down a hill this morning. It runs really rough, extra hard vibrating, felt like riding over rumble strips until it was fully warmed up. and the oil smoke has come back with a vengence. I am lucky that there's a huge hill in our neighborhood, and that we live at the top of it.

Looks like this weekend is going to be a cold one for me. Now to decide on which car to fix...

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power JLBMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    Red '93 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Ever since my wifes accident my daughter has been all over my ass about owning a vehicle with no airbags. No passanger so she will not ride with me anywhere. I am to a point were i have been thinking about parting out my miata and getting something else. My budget would be about 7,000 for another car than part out miata for adding to next car. What do you guys think ?

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    You can get into an NB for that or far less. A fair amount of your stuff transfers over. I think Tim *might* be selling his soon.

For safety sake, the NB met tougher crash testing, has dual airbags, more HTSS in the doors for anti-intrusion, etc.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    That sucks, James, but her pov is understandable. Early model NCs are in that price range as well. Selling/parting the car just seems like a colossal pain in the butt. You might want to just stick the car out there at whatever price you think the added mods warrant, and see where it gets you.

Acura starter was not terribly hard, just tedious. It's located under the intake mani, which required pulling the intake/mani, bumper, front core support. A mostly easy 4 hour job. Now to get the Miata sorted out. push-starting is FTL.

When the hell are we going to get together again? It's cold out, but we could at least meet up for dinner and catching up.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    All you gotta do is throw a date out there and we can see who can make it. I'm trying to find someone that can swap wheels on my Expedition with new to me ones I just bought. Some of these places are charging a crap load to do it.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power JLBMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    Red '93 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Well i still have no clue as of now what im going to be doing. But if its purchase of another vehicle it will most likely not be another miata. I am hoping that one day my daughter will be fine with riding with me again.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Pyr0monk3y's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    All you gotta do is throw a date out there and we can see who can make it. I'm trying to find someone that can swap wheels on my Expedition with new to me ones I just bought. Some of these places are charging a crap load to do it.

Swap wheels? As in undo lugnuts, remove old wheels, install new wheels and retorque lugs?

And yes, it's about time for another meet.
    What the hell are you thinking Andy?
    1991 Track Rat
    Build Thread:
    Function>Everything

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Naw. I wish that's all it is. Remove tires from current wheels and place on new wheels. Balance and install.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Any of you heard of INF Motorsports? It appears to be located in the 919 area code, but couldn't find an address. They have a nice online assortment at comparable prices. I reached out to them to see if they had a showroom to try stuff on. Will let you know if I hear back from them. I need a bunch of stuff. They also have Race Tech seats, which are really nice, but not inexpensive.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Naw. I wish that's all it is. Remove tires from current wheels and place on new wheels. Balance and install.
    Should be about $80 to swap tires over. I have done it before, but not for SUV wheels.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by JLBMX5 View Post
    Ever since my wifes accident my daughter has been all over my ass about owning a vehicle with no airbags. No passanger so she will not ride with me anywhere. I am to a point were i have been thinking about parting out my miata and getting something else. My budget would be about 7,000 for another car than part out miata for adding to next car. What do you guys think ?

$7k is a decent range, what features are you looking for, beyond SRS? 94+ is around the time most manufacturers went to dual airbags. Side or curtain SRS began around '98 IIRC, except some premium brands.

RWD, FWD, AWD? Coupe, Sedan, etc?

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Should be about $80 to swap tires over. I have done it before, but not for SUV wheels.
    Just quoted $60 out the door so I will be putting them on this afternoon after work.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (01-13-2015)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (01-14-2015),tsingson (01-13-2015)

Page 1 of 25 1234567811 ... LastLast