Thread: AFM delete but retain stock airbox

Idling - Listen to it purr... finnthehuman's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 White MX-5
    Thanks Given

AFM delete but retain stock airbox

Hi there,

I am currently installing the Ms Labs MS2 megasquirt ECU and I am replacing the flappy AFM with an AIT sensor instead.

My aim is to retain as a stock looking engine bay as possible, I also do not like open air filters due to the fact they are inheriently near to the exhaust manifold and can inhale warm air.

My plan is to retain the stock airbox whilst removing the AFM.

I plan to achive this by using a 1.8 airbox top as it flows better than the Square inlet on the 1.6 box and then manufacture a replacement pipe in the stock 1.8 MAF sensors place. This will have a welded bung on top to allow for insertion of the AIT sensor. The stock airbox will then be plummed into the bulkhead to hopefully enjoy some of the cooler higher velocity air in the same vein as the randall intake.

My question is, has anyone else completed this? If so, what were your methods and do you have any pictures?

Thus far it is proving difficult to make the pipe stay inside the 1.8 airbox top as there is little for it to be bolted onto due to the way the MAF fits in. My current frame of mind is to have a machine shop make a replica of the 1.8 maf from alloy but without the restrictive inside parts.

Any help is appreciated.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    93 LE. 90 Miata Challenge
    Thanks Given
    I built one of these about 3-4 years ago.
    Drew it up in SolidWorks and printed it out on the 3d printer using ABS. The build area was too small, so I made it in 2 parts and epoxied it together. It's for the 1.6 airbox, for my 1.6L running MS3. It's held up just fine.

Attached Images Attached Images

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vortexblue For This Useful Post:

91BRG (04-10-2015),BlitzWing (04-26-2015),finnthehuman (04-09-2015),fwdtamiya (04-09-2015),Malibu Q (04-09-2015)

Drives
    1990 White MX-5
    Thanks Given
    wow vortexblue that looks amazing! that is essentially what I am trying to do, just with the stock top piece.

Would you consider selling the STL file so that I could have one printed here? (a one use license rather than sell the design)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Sorry I haven't been back in a bit.

I would consider it; I sent a PM to you. The file is in 1 piece; whomever is printing it for you will need to have the ability to split the STL to fit the build area. The Stratasys software I used on the above print made that wobbly line to get a good 'puzzle fit'.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 433 Posts
    Instead of doing the IAT/MAP route for speed density tuning, why not simply use a hot wire MAF from a NA8? That is about as stock looking as you can get.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Are there any benefits to switching the IAT/ MAP setup to the MAF other than looks?

I'm running my MS3 it IAT/ MAP and it works ok, but I'm always looking to make things easier/ better...

Drives
    1990 White MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
    Instead of doing the IAT/MAP route for speed density tuning, why not simply use a hot wire MAF from a NA8? That is about as stock looking as you can get.
    Thank you for the replies.

I remember reading online I beleive someone tested the flow and the 1.8 MAF was actually more restrictive than the the 1.6 flappy AFM.

I am looking for as good a flow as possible really.

Drives
    1990 White MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by vortexblue View Post
    Are there any benefits to switching the IAT/ MAP setup to the MAF other than looks?

I'm running my MS3 it IAT/ MAP and it works ok, but I'm always looking to make things easier/ better...
    I am doing it due to the restrictive AFM/MAF as I want improved airflow, which is also why I am looking to change the top of the airbox as the 1.6 square outlet is smaller than the 1.8's round, but it is impossible to attach a joiner pipe to this box as it does not protrude enough.

This website details some of the restriction in the 1.6 intake tract. (it suggests that the afm accounts for 29% of the restriction)

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=110680

I can't find any literature to support my claims of a restrictive 1.8 MAF but I do remember one.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finnthehuman View Post
    I remember reading online I beleive someone tested the flow and the 1.8 MAF was actually more restrictive than the the 1.6 flappy AFM.
    The 1.6 AFM is the most restrictive. The 1.8 MAF is not a significant restriction for most folks below ~300hp. The MAF is more accurate than MAP/IAT. There is a reason that all modern OEMs use a MAF. Some people say it's a little bit easier to tune MAP/IAT than MAF but at the end of the day it's simply a matter of personal preference. Everyone has different skills and priorities and goals. I have no direct experience with tuning MS with MAF so you'll need to do your own research there.

Is one really better than the other: MAF/MAP based tuning

Just how restrictive is the MAF??

Drives
    1990 White MX-5
    Thanks Given
    thanks for all the replies. took me a while to get the car back in the road after graduating and moving.

my solution was to just fit a 1.8 airbox lid and a straight pipe to replace the maf. i also did the randall intake whilst i was there.