Thread: Strut Bar Or Not?

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mazdarati1's Avatar
    Drives
    With a blinker on
    Thanks Given

Strut Bar Or Not?

How about some advice?
    I've been considering a strut bar to possibly reduce the 65 shimmy. Will it work? The reason I'm
    on the fence is because my car doesn't shake too bad, and it handles quite nicely...and I've read
    that a strut bar, can make her push, don't want that. The set-up is stock except for +one tires and
    wheels, and she handles very nice as I said, so is a bar worth while other then the "bling factor" and
    which would you recommend? Thanks in advance! Mazdarati1

MiMi.jpg

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Structural bracing is always nice to stiffen the chassis but unless you're tracking the car, the strut bar is mostly bling unless used in conjunction with frame rails, door bars, roll bar and so on. I really like a little tasteful bling like strut bars (yes, I know Miatas have shocks) so it's up to you.

As for the vibration, the only thing that will fix that is a more thorough wheel balance like a Hunter balance. A shock tower brace isn't going to make vibration go away but merely transfer that energy to another area, perhaps even make it worse.

No todo que es oro brilla.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Andy's Avatar
    Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    I installed a fm shock tower brace on my car and I noticed less nvh. I also have a double hoop rollbar that also mounts to the floor board and frame rails. If it is cheap enough go for it.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    i cannot read whatever you typed do to your avatar, hard to read with your high beams on.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    She definitely could use better bracing.

No todo que es oro brilla.

Drives
    With a blinker on
    Thanks Given

thanks

Thanks for your input, say what color are her eyes? Oh hell....who cares?
    Seriously, your opinions are appreciated.

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Bracing won't fix the shimmy. That's all tire balance and wheel mounting. A brace might move the shimmy up a few mph, but it won't fix it.

also, wowvatar.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

tsingson (05-03-2015)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Soledad's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Silverstone, '08 'Niseko' Icy Blue Metallic
    Thanks Given
    Here's the thing about STBs - on a Miata, they're largely unnecessary. It will however, significantly reduce cowl shake provided you get your hands on one that is built properly. By that, I mean that there should be no points that can pivot, the bar that crosses over the engine must be rigid and have as few bends as possible, and must connect rigidly to the mounts. The mounts themselves must circumnavigate the entire point where it mounts to the shock tower, if that makes any sense. See pic below of a chintzy STB and one that is made correctly.

The other thing is that if you were to place your car on a lift and raise it up, you can actually see the shock towers tilt outward as the weight of the car is lifted off its wheels. I have seen this with my own two eyes. Place a well made STB on there and that won't happen. Mazda must have figured this out at some point because factory installed STBs started turning up on Miatas with the NB chassis.

Mmm, beefy..jpg
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. - Mark Twain

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soledad For This Useful Post:

BoBo (05-08-2015),kung fu jesus (05-06-2015),mazdarati1 (05-06-2015),Paul B (05-06-2015),The Driver (10-17-2016),tsingson (05-08-2015)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BoBo's Avatar
    Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    A Hardtop and good balancing will greatly reduce NVH & shimmy. Drive a roadster with a (H.T.) and you will notice. If you really want a tower bar get FM shock tower brace. I have one with master cylinder brace and it definitely reduces flex while improving the brake feel. Plus our cars are old it's time to add those bracing.

I don't have any shimmy issues on my 96 but did on my old 92. Added Bracing definitely helps.
    Last edited by BoBo; 05-06-2015 at 06:23 PM.
    08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Tuned/Track Prepared
    04 Z4 2.5 M Sport Package
    01 SLK 230 Kompressor AMG Sport Package

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BoBo For This Useful Post:

mazdarati1 (05-06-2015),Paul B (05-06-2015),The Driver (10-17-2016),tsingson (05-08-2015)

Drives
    With a blinker on
    Thanks Given
    Thanks one and all for your advice. I was shopping tanabe shock tower brace at $125.00 on Ebay. As luck would have it, a Craig's list ad had the exact one I needed for $40.00! It was installed once, but the guy had to rig his intake to run it, because he had an aftermarket unit installed. He wasn't happy with the way his intake was working and choose to take the bar off. So, I've installed and tested today, and I'm impressed. The car handles the rough city streets better, less bouncing and rattling. The 65 shimmy is reduced on most surfaces. I'd read that you should elevate the front to install the bar so I did. All together, pretty happy with the results,
    Mazdarati1

038.jpg040.jpg041.jpg

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mazdarati1 For This Useful Post:

BoBo (05-08-2015)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by BoBo View Post
    A Hardtop and good balancing will greatly reduce NVH & shimmy. Drive a roadster with a (H.T.) and you will notice. If you really want a tower bar get FM shock tower brace. I have one with master cylinder brace and it definitely reduces flex while improving the brake feel. Plus our cars are old it's time to add those bracing.

I don't have any shimmy issues on my 96 but did on my old 92. Added Bracing definitely helps.
    My 96 feels and drives way better with both the FM STB and master cylinder brace.
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I've noticed a difference with the shock tower brace on my 96.