Thread: Replace a 1.6 B6-ZE (NB) with a 1.8 BP (NA)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1998 NB BRG
    Thanks Given

Replace a 1.6 B6-ZE (NB) with a 1.8 BP (NA)

Hi to all,
    I am the happy owner of a 1998 MX5 (NB).
    My engine a 1.6 B6-ZE is almost dead and I will change it, I am currently looking for the exact model but I have been offered by a friend (for almost free) a 1.8 BP from his NA model.

The 1.8BP is in good condition and very cheap, but I do not know if it could be a replacement for my 1.6 NB.

Does anyone have experience/knowledge on the possibility of such replacement? The ECU will have to remain the one from the 1.6 NB.

Thank you all
    Antonis.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone RustRat's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given
    Doable. Needs the BP ecu too. (Βάλε πλεξούδα κομπλέ, αδερφέ)

Drives
    1998 NB BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thank you RustRat,

the idea is under examination due to the no-cost engine existence. Will search for complete set of ECU and wiring.

(Ευχαριστώ φίλε, ψάχνω συγχρόνως και για καμιά φθηνή 1.6, ίδωμεν, έτσι και αλλιώς 2ο αυτοκίνητο για βόλτες το έχω, μπορώ να περιμένω)

A.
    Last edited by akrassas; 05-28-2015 at 01:00 AM.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power George's Avatar
    Drives
    '98 Evolution orange NB6
    Thanks Given
    don't forget about the immobiliser. If the NA was fitted with one, you'll need that as well as the ignition lockand key because it's all connected

Drives
    1998 NB BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanks George,
    BTW has anyone read the "Performance Projects" and the 'high Performance" books by Tanner?

In there there is a very specific project swapping a 1.6 B6ZE(RS) with a 1.8 BP while keeping the original ECU from the 1.6. They only "difference" is that the BP engine has one more sensor that the ones that the 1.6 ECU is using, so you simply don't use it at all. There are also some other fitting adjustments but they are minor.

Based on that, I am trying to find the differences (if any) between the NA's B6ZE(RS) engine and the NB's B6ZE engine, mainly in the their sensor set, pulley shape (issues with the alternator) etc.

Unless they are exactly the same (the European version of B6ZE(RS?) (110hp)was used till 2001).
    Anyone?
    Last edited by akrassas; 05-28-2015 at 05:50 PM.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    It is very easy to adapt a 1.8 engine into a 1.6 using the 1.6 electronics. All you have to do is adapt the 1.6 sensors into the 1.8 engine JUST make sure you keep your existing alternator the one in your car now, otherwise you will fry the ECU.

Flying Miata sells a kit to adapt the 1.6 coil packs in the 1.8 block and some other components to block the EGR sensors; with regard to the Throttle Body *you have a 1.8 NB so it should be a direct fit* if not you can purchase an spacer (check Flyin' Miata) or simply remove the intake manifold, take it to a machine shop and ask them to weld the lower threaded holes and tap with new ones to adapt the 1.6 TB.

Also the 1.8 BP engines are fitted VVT, VICS, cam angle sensors and crank angle sensors. You don't need to pay attention to those unless you want to upgrade the ECU or they are components of your factory harness. The only other issue I foresee is to how retrofit your existing OEM cam angle sensor in the 1.8 engine. The corresponding connector wires related to the cam angle sensor may be too short due to the fact 1.8 the cam angle sensor location is on the driver's side of the valve cover. You have two choices cut and extend the harness or do it the Baller way, do a wire tuck and see if you can extend the wires without cutting them.

Good luck

EDIT: Below find pics of my old 1.8 Protege Turbo engine with 1.6 electronics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hyper; 05-29-2015 at 11:11 AM.

Drives
    1998 NB BRG
    Thanks Given
    Hyper you are brilliant

Than you very much.

Antonis

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by akrassas View Post
    Hyper you are brilliant

Than you very much.

Antonis
    Thanks for the compliment, I am just a regular guy who has done the swap several times, my only request and question to you is regarding the cam angle sensor in the 1.6 European NB model. Can you put a picture of it?? I want to see it. Thanks!