Thread: Back in action, coming home!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Airbrush1's Avatar
    Drives
    04 mazdaspeed
    Thanks Given

Back in action, coming home!

Well, it’s been a few years (3, 4?) but I’m very likely back in a miata as of next Monday! Took a deposit on the Z06 this evening, and inspection is scheduled on my new to me 97 STO! Really looking forward to a new project!

I’ve been waiting for just the right miata to show up on my radar, and I got a call about a very well priced 97 with only 69000 miles. Not sure what my exact plans are for the car, but I’ll likely be doing some easily reversible mods to begin with (glad I saved my Re Amemiya steering wheel) , and deciding if it’s a long term thing or a stepping stone as I save for a 997.

Here’s a couple photos of the two toys I’ve had since I sold my Mazdaspeed, and a couple of the prospective new addition!
    IMG_6480.jpg
    B5AFA463-E64D-4709-9B79-31CBAEAB9F58.jpg
    IMG_7114.jpg
    IMG_7116.jpg

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Airbrush1 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (08-11-2023),HarryB (08-11-2023),MaRcOp01o (08-17-2023)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    93 Brilliant Black
    Thanks Given
    That 97 looks so clean, even still rocking the tape deck to boot! Nice find! If you don't mind, what's the reasoning for moving from the Z06 back to the Miata? I have my assumptions but I'm always curious about those kind of car moves.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Congrats! And do save for a 997; they are fantastic cars and shooting up in value recently (at least here)

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,353 Posts
    The 97 does look good and the Z06 looks terrific!

But the STO always confused me. Mazda called it Special Touring Option, but then don't give it a Torsen or cruise control. All other NA's with leather got those features. Why not the STO?

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    I might be coming around full circle too. I've gone through a series of cars since my Miata. Still have my Vette but it's an auto and I'd like to get a manual car again before they're gone. Seems hard to find a decent, unmolested Miata lately and prices have been crazy.

No todo que es oro brilla.

Drives
    04 mazdaspeed
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by MixedBreed View Post
    That 97 looks so clean, even still rocking the tape deck to boot! Nice find! If you don't mind, what's the reasoning for moving from the Z06 back to the Miata? I have my assumptions but I'm always curious about those kind of car moves.

This miata will be car #37 in the past 20 years or so, and my 6th miata. I’ve had two Z06’s, a lingenfelter built 427 C5Z, and this car. Both were great, but the cost of even incremental improvements are astronomical, and consumables are wildly expensive . A miata is the only car that both my wife and I point out on the road, and I’ve never stopped shopping them.
    At some point I’ll never be the fastest, or have the biggest automotive pocketbook, so while the Z was fun and a gorgeous car, it’s just not easily moldable to my cosmetic or performance whims (not to mention that ANY fun I have in it quickly puts me in dangerous territory from a speed standpoint, I found myself roll racing a friends M4 at nearly triple highway speed limits)

Drives
    04 mazdaspeed
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    I might be coming around full circle too. I've gone through a series of cars since my Miata. Still have my Vette but it's an auto and I'd like to get a manual car again before they're gone. Seems hard to find a decent, unmolested Miata lately and prices have been crazy.
    This car popped up at work and I couldn’t resist, it’s nearly impossible to find a rust free unmolested miata to molest in the mid Atlantic, and I’ll never get a chance to buy a sub 100k mile miata in this condition at this price again, so I have to.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Airbrush1 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (08-13-2023)