Quote Originally Posted by NCGreasemonkey View Post

And once you go black shift boot...
    You never go tan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone RustRat's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given
    I like the shift boot, Chad. Sorry that you were disappointed with the Zoom console, it's one of my favorite parts and it's been on my to-buy list for a long time. Now you have me thinking.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RustRat For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (11-03-2016)

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 527 Posts
    Love the color you chose for the 949 brace. Lots of little details to catch the eye when a person looks it over.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (11-03-2016)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Nice.
    Thanks Rick!

Quote Originally Posted by RustRat View Post
    I like the shift boot, Chad. Sorry that you were disappointed with the Zoom console, it's one of my favorite parts and it's been on my to-buy list for a long time. Now you have me thinking.
    Appreciate it Peter! If i didn't, seemingly, remove the center console on a regular basis it wouldn't bother me that much. Definitely disappointing considering the other (fuel lid, side mirrors and rear view mirror) fit great.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    Love the color you chose for the 949 brace. Lots of little details to catch the eye when a person looks it over.
    Thank you, Mike! Unfortunately with the Warhorse diffuser in place the 949 Racing rear subframe brace isn't visible like before. Still no reason not to make it look goiod.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    11-02-16: Received my custom ARTech resonated(w/ a 2.5"x4"x14" Magnaflow straight thru muffler) test pipe as well as some gaskets since the cause of the odd sound between 3k-4k RPMS was as bad gasket. Here is the faulty gasket(bottom), good gasket(top left) and a new gasket(top right):

Here is the new ARTech resonated test pipe(top/left) and ARTech high flow catalytic converter(bottom/right):

I then installed the ARTech resonated test pipe and checked all the clearances and installed the midpipe with the new gasket for the rear vband connection. I had also notched the PPF last week but didn't post the pics so here they are:

Upon start up it didn't seem much louder with the resonated test pipe and even revving it, it didn't seem much louder. Was pretty sure the new gasket took care of the exhaust leak because there was no moisture on the bottom of the rear vband as there had been on start up since I had started trouble shooting the noise.

Took Warbird on a 'test flight' and thankfully the odd noise was gone! While the exhaust seemed to be louder with the resonated test pipe, it didn't sound like it was much louder. There was a slight increase in fumes, obviously, but nothing that bothered me.

Unfortunately there was no perceived increase in burble/pops, nor could I get it to produce any 'fireballs'. Not sure if after it gets a good layer of carbon it will burble/pop more or if it will take installing the ms3 and cams to achieve the 'noises' I desire.

According to Abe aka ARTech the difference in restriction with the high flow cat vs test pipe is minimal and even the difference in sound/loudness wouldn't be a lot, although he said he never did any testing with instrumentation for numbers. Abe did say the difference between a test pipe and resonated test pipe on a 3'' exhaust was only 3db difference. Also Abe confirmed his PPF was NOT notched or modified so maybe the pics just had shadows that made it appear that way, oh well.

I actually borrowed a friends GoPro to make comparison videos but I think I will wait to put a few hundred miles on the resonated test pipe before I do. If in time the resonated test pipe doesn't deliver the desired noises then I will put the high flow cat back on until I installed the ms3(and Tomei cams) and then swap them out.
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (11-04-2016),NCGreasemonkey (11-03-2016),Paul B (11-07-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    You have video and you no post. Me no happy.
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mx54life's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    So clean.....I love your pics Chad.
    Life is short drive a Miata

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mx54life For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (11-04-2016)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    You have video and you no post. Me no happy.
    I think there is a misunderstanding, Rick, since I have yet to make a video of the exhaust. I borrowed the GoPro to do so but want to 'break in' the resonated test pipe first.

Quote Originally Posted by mx54life View Post
    So clean.....I love your pics Chad.
    Thanks Ed! The camera gets the credit I'm afraid.

Abe and I have concluded that the lack of pops and minimal burbble is more than likely due to the size of the Magnaflow muffler(5"×11"×22"). Abe has the same size on his miata in a single inlet/outlet but 3" instead of 2.5" like mine and Abe said his has minimal burbble and no pops and his is turbocharged.

In hind site I kind of wish I had gone with his standard 5"×8"×18" Magnaflow muffler but then it MAY have been louder than I would have liked. Again I think the megasquirt and Tomei cams will provide the exhaust noises I desire. This video of a na6 with Stage II Obx cams (256°/256°) convinced me Warbird needed cams: https://youtu.be/yT6FaJolKCE

Granted the Tomei cams I have are 252/256 and obviously the exhaust attributes to the sound but I'm sure it will sound great!
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 11-04-2016 at 11:42 PM.

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    12-01-16: Not much going on with Warbird, mostly because I have been unemployed since the beginning of August. Hopefully have that issue taken care of shortly.

I have been working on replicating Warbird's wiper arms w/ 'speed holes' for a fellow enthusiast that made such a request. I decided to buy 10 sets and see what would happen. Well it was much more difficult to replicate than I expected.

Making the holes centered, semi evenly spaced, etc and then doing them all similarly. Unfortunately I still don't have it down and only 3 sets survived the process that were acceptable. I had each set powder coated in a different finish(matte black, matte clear and gloss clear) to show what I will more than likely do. I wouldn't call this a business venture, just trying to share something that other enthusiast have expressed intrigue with.

Unfortunately they didn't get to them right away and being raw metal they oxidized some and of course that is seen on the clear coated ones but not very bad but it doesn't matte since I decided to not sell these and only use them as 'demo' pieces. Obviously once I get the process down and have ones that meet my standards then I will do a batch and see how it goes from there.

Here they are in gloss clear, matte black and matte clear...

...matte clear....

....matte black...

...and gloss clear, my current favorite finish...

...and a side by side comparison of the gloss clear(top) and matte clear(bottom)...

...I liked the gloss clear so much I decided to install on Warbird so out with the original in matte clear....

...and the new gloss clear installed...

...it is pretty subtle difference, especially in pictures, but I really like the gloss clear. Believe it or not I actually have at least 2 hours into EACH wiper arm from removing the springs, refinishing/shaving them, drilling holes and reinstalling the springs. Obviously that time WILL go down as I get the process optimized but I suspect in the end I will still have at least 1 hour into each wiper arm.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (12-01-2016),RustRat (12-02-2016),tsingson (12-01-2016)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone RustRat's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post

but not very bad but it doesn't matte since I decided to not sell these and only use them as 'demo' pieces.
    Pun intended?

Sorry I didn't reply to your comment on Insta, I saw it some days later, for some reason.

It's obvious this things have a lot of effort put into them. You'll eventually figure it out, to make them more efficiently. Maybe you should print a pattern on paper and trace it on the wiper arms?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RustRat For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (12-05-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    This is how I did mine, paper pattern, then use a center punch to punch the actual wiper at the right spots before drilling. Speeds up the process significantly. BTW how did you remove/reinstalled the springs Chad?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (12-05-2016),tsingson (12-05-2016)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! riefdaddy's Avatar
    Drives
    94 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    If you are going to make more, create a wood template. That way your holes will always be centered and evenly spaced.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to riefdaddy For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (12-05-2016),tsingson (12-05-2016)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by RustRat View Post
    It's obvious this things have a lot of effort put into them. You'll eventually figure it out, to make them more efficiently. Maybe you should print a pattern on paper and trace it on the wiper arms?
    Glad it is obvious because I did, lol. I hope so because I would like to make a batch as people express interest. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    This is how I did mine, paper pattern, then use a center punch to punch the actual wiper at the right spots before drilling. Speeds up the process significantly. BTW how did you remove/reinstalled the springs Chad?
    ^Great minds think a like. I used some sort of 'specialty pliers' that my friend had. If i can't find some I will to buy his.

Quote Originally Posted by riefdaddy View Post
    If you are going to make more, create a wood template. That way your holes will always be centered and evenly spaced.
    Another good idea! Have thought of a bunch of different ways, now just to try dome more and see which works the best.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

JamieH (12-05-2016),tsingson (12-05-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    Just for thought. Mainly you need centering and spacing. Correct?

Piece of hardwood to fit the back side of the arm. Hey you removed the spring. For a guide for a very small bit. Easy centering. From there just remove the wood and step up the small drill sizes until you get close to a step drill and flip it for those. Step drill it from the front. When the step drops thru you will get a chamfer on the edge from the next step that can be sanded, filed or roto-buffed. Perfect aero touch.

No patents on my idea. If you like it run with it. If you make millions you owe me lunch! And I like Porter and Lobster. LOL

Peace Chad!
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

24. The Following User Says Thank You to NCGreasemonkey For This Useful Post:

HarryB (12-10-2016)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Well it is unfortunate but circumstances dictate that I part out Warbird. Once reverted to stock I will sell and not sure what will be next. Will start pulling parts this week and will start a for sale thread in the next few days.

I want to thank everyone who has helped and or supported me in the past 3+ years of being in the best enthusiast community I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I plan to get another miata, just not sure if it will be now. This is much more difficult than I thought it would be but I have to what I have to do.

Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23262728293031323334353637 LastLast