2008 Miata NC
    Thanks Given

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Amer For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (06-17-2015)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch jawolf518's Avatar
    Drives
    Modified 2010 MX5 TRUE RED
    Thanks Given
    Might be a dumb question … but these ok to drive on a DD? There a water issue you need to worry about?
    2010/True Red/Touring/PRHT/JIC-Magic/GWR RS Max PWR HDR & full exhaust/flash tuned by moto-east/DBA slotted rotors/SS brake lines/ hawk HPS brake pads/stubby/NC3 Appearance

Idling - Listen to it purr... Amer's Avatar
    Drives
    2008 Miata NC
    Thanks Given
    I still didn't do it yet ... but it is fine .. if u are extra paranoid like me .. make a plate and attach it or bolt it over the ecu so the water doesn't hit it straight on ...

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! ozbrock's Avatar
    Drives
    2005 Lava Orange MSM
    Thanks Given
    I installed a set of the NA/NB louvers on my MSM. It took me a little while to work up the courage to cut up my hood, but once I did it went rather smoothly. I started out by drilling out the corners with a christmas tree step bit, and then basically connected the dots with an angle grinder with a thin metal cutoff wheel. The next step is smoothing out the edges and matching them up nicely with the template. I started by trying to use an air grinder with a grinding stone but it was pretty much useless. The stone would get clogged with aluminum very quickly, and it was hard to get a clean line. I then tried using a metal rasp, which worked VERY well. It was much easier to control than the air grinder and ended up making some very smooth, pretty much perfect edges. One thing I wish i did differently would have been to mask off more of the surrounding areas of the hood than I did. If I could do it again I would have laid down a couple layers of masking tape at least 6" out in all directions from the cut lines. I did accidentally slip once with the rasp and scratched the paint on my hood.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ozbrock For This Useful Post:

Amer (06-18-2015)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    any more pics? I'd like to see an overall shot and the under-side

Drives
    2008 Miata NC
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by ozbrock View Post
    I installed a set of the NA/NB louvers on my MSM. It took me a little while to work up the courage to cut up my hood, but once I did it went rather smoothly. I started out by drilling out the corners with a christmas tree step bit, and then basically connected the dots with an angle grinder with a thin metal cutoff wheel. The next step is smoothing out the edges and matching them up nicely with the template. I started by trying to use an air grinder with a grinding stone but it was pretty much useless. The stone would get clogged with aluminum very quickly, and it was hard to get a clean line. I then tried using a metal rasp, which worked VERY well. It was much easier to control than the air grinder and ended up making some very smooth, pretty much perfect edges. One thing I wish i did differently would have been to mask off more of the surrounding areas of the hood than I did. If I could do it again I would have laid down a couple layers of masking tape at least 6" out in all directions from the cut lines. I did accidentally slip once with the rasp and scratched the paint on my hood.

I wish I have all the tools, space, time and courage to do it ... I just work like 120 hours a week... I'll let someone do it for me
    Bro... you did it like a Pro...

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon I Am View Post
    any more pics? I'd like to see an overall shot and the under-side
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....l=1#post167877

Drives
    2008 Miata NC
    Thanks Given
    Found a friend to powder coat them for me for $40... I will bend the vents then give it to him to do it for me

Drives
    2008 Miata NC
    Thanks Given
    Anyone have a rough idea about how much is it going to cost to have some one cut it for me ? ?

Drives
    2008 Miata NC
    Thanks Given
    I didn't have the time to install them, if any is interested please let me know