Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Life in the slow lane or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the trip

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Andy's Avatar
    Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    8/9/15

On Friday I took the wire wheels with good tires to my preferred tire place and had them swapped over to my 15 inch bug wheels. That is not my ideal solution, but I could not take the wire wheels any more. They were a pain to take on and off because of the adapter that the previous owner had on to make them fit. Now I have wheels that fit the car better. I now need to source 4 original hub caps. After I mounted the relatively new and good tires to the bug wheels I drove the bus to a local car show. There were quite a few other buses in attendance as well and I chatted with a few people. We exchanged some contact info and recommendations on places locally to get parts.

Today, I cleaned and oiled my air filter oil bath, adjusted my valves replaced my valve cover gaskets, changed my oil, and cleaned out the oil mesh screen. The bus started up much faster after I did all of these things than it previously has. I also found out that the previous owner had installed a pertronix ignitor inside my distributor. Now I don't have to spend the money to buy one.

I am still waiting for my package from bus depot. With my new parts I will feel much more comfortable driving the bus around. Hopefully it is here before Saturday. There is a local VW club that is having a drive to the everglades that I wanted to go to.

Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    8/14/15

I wanted to change my transmission fluid but I ran into the snag of finding a 17mm hex bit socket. Thankfully harborfreight had a full set from 4mm to 17mm in stock so I snagged that and got to work. There was so much grim on my transmission that I had to take a brass brush with some engine de-greaser and brake parts cleaner to clean off the section with the bolts for the tranny fluid. I initially ran into a problem with the bolts being seized so I did the best I could. I was able to free them with my Milwaukee small impact wrench. It doesn't do more than 200 ftlbs or so but it was able to get the job done of removing those stuck bolts. I pumped in some nice fresh 85w90 GL4 from NAPA (I think it was Stalube) and the transmission now shifts a bit better. The fluid in there wasn't that bad to begin wit but it gave me peace of mind.

8/15/15
    The next morning I gathered my things to meet our local VW group to go for a nice drive to Everglades City. Nothing says testing out a new vehicle than going on its real maiden voyage to the Everglades. We had no issues going there except for the rain. I found out the hard way that my bus does not have working wipers. Thankfully rainx really helped in seeing with rainy weather. We met up with some cool people.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy For This Useful Post:

WASABI (08-18-2015)

Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    8/19/15

So I had some fun last night. It was about 6:30 I just finished working on fine tuning my drum brake adjustments when I went for a small ride. My mom called me asking if I wanted to meet her and my dad for dinner. Sure sounds like a good idea to me. I made it about 4 miles from home and my generator belt slipped off. I did not know instantly but what I did hear was my engine decided that idle was no full floored. I think when the generator belt slipped off it bent the linkage for the throttle. I did not know that the generator belt even popped off because I pulled over instantly. I slid the belt back on and attempted to make my way back home. The bus was stuck floored and I didn't have my tools because they were now in the garage from the brake adjustment I just did.

Stopping at stoplights was interesting to say the least. I had to turn the bus off and coast to the lights. It made it pretty ok most of the way home but at about a mile away when I passed the last stop light I needed to pass the damn belt completely destroyed itself.

Thankfully I had an extra belt with me but that did me no use since I did not have any of my tools on hand. After fiddling for about a half hour trying to get the new belt on by hand I gave up and walked home. Mind you I was wearing Jeans and flip flops. When I got home and gathered my tools my dad happened to show up back at the house from dinner. He gave me a lift to the bus and I swapped the belt on the spot with my cordless impact. The belt is currently too loose right now but it made it home that last mile and a half.

Here is the video of me diagnosing if my throttle cable is what snapped initially. Sorry for the vertical video. All I could do was prop the phone up by itself and hop in the car and check. I was by myself at the time.

Last edited by Andy; 08-20-2015 at 07:30 AM.

Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    Updates

Sometime maybe 8/30/15

I received my new carburetor from Volkzbitz. I decided that for simplicity sake I would go with a 30 pict 1 with the power circuit. I removed my old carb and it was nasty nasty. The bottom butterfly valve looked incredibly chewed up.

This is the beauty I received.

I then went to town on cleaning my engine bay. I admitted that it was a lost cause. However, when I finally get around to pulling my engine I will clean the area with a brush and cleaners with a big pan to collect all the nastyness. This photo is after I spent 3 hours cleaning my engine bay and fixing a few wires that were burnt from an engine fire right before I took ownership of the bus.

I also ordered a replacement shore hookup panel so that I could cover the big gaping hole I had on the side of my bus.

Now I need to order some new horsehair material for my seats and some new seat covers. My dad and I are favoring a vinyl beige/tan color for the back of the seats and a tan cloth material for the insert part. We also found a guy that is a few hours away that has a side cabinet, original sink/refrigerator from a 71 camper and a much better condition pop top. We plan on buying his stuff and making my bus more water tight.

9/4/15

I received my new drag link and tie-rods that I ordered online. I adjusted them and they went on fine. With the drag link off I was able to better examine my steering box and it looks like my output shaft has too much play in and out and also up and down. I think that my box is toast and that I need to get it rebuilt. Here is a video of the play it has. All of that play translates to nasty clunking when I turn the steering wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0-ML4Zuaq0

Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    9/16/15

Out with the old and in with the new, seat belts that is. Next up on my list are replacement seats covers. I scored these seatbelt a from cip1 for about $125 shipped. I am very happy that I was able to find a pair of tan seatbelts.

Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    9/17/15

Today was fun. I purchased some new spark plugs and wires for the bus. After gapping all the plugs I removed the old spark plugs. What I found worried me some. The old spark plugs had a fitting on the top that appeared to be a screw as opposed to a nipple like fitting that I am use to seeing on cars. Upon looking at the new Bosch plugs I bought I realized that the new wires seemed to only accommodate plugs with a similar threaded fitting. I was worried some and did some frantic googling assuming the worst and thinking I bought the wrong plugs. It turned out that I needed to get a pair of pliers and just twist off the connector that I am familiar with and underneath is the screwed connector. Phew crisis #1 averted.

Then comes the fun of actually removing all the plugs. They looked ok ish but appeared to have been running rich. They looked about what I expected them to look like except spark plugs #3. Boy did it look nasty.

After swapping out all the plugs and wires I cranked the bus up. It started and ran for maybe 3 seconds and then died. Weird, I tried again and it ran for about 3 more seconds and died. I re checked all of my wires and sure enough they were all on the correct plugs and correct on the distributor. I asked my dad for assistance and he came outside to see what he could do. His first question was, "Is there any gas?" Of course there is gas, I thought. Just to entertain my old man's idea I popped off the gas cap and peeked in with my flash light. I didn't see any fuel, but it should have had enough. Just earlier that week I was driving around a bit and parked the bus in the driveway. Well to entertain his idea we went and bought about a gallon of gas in our small container. Poured it in the bus and after a few attempts to start it started right up. I guess my old man was right and I think i need to put my faulty gas gauge situation higher up on my list.

I am assuming that there was very little left in my tank and parking on the incline of my driveway made all the gas tilt toward the front of the tank away form the fuel pumps pickup and over the course of a week the fuel went back to the tank from the carb causing my lack of fuel issue.

No issue now, my bus runs great.

Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    I have been inactive in the last few months with keeping you guys up to date on my bus adventures. School got hectic, bus stuff got hectic. I had one week where I had to rip out my entire interior, re skin the front seats, do general maintenance on the bus, put it back together, take an exam that Saturday morning at 9 am and then hit the road to make the 200 mile or so drive to Pasco County in my bus. What a crazy week that was. Anyway here is what happened.

Sometime late September:
    I met up with a nice guy from the samba.com that happened to have an original wood cabinet similar to my existing one but it significantly better condition. He also had a pop top that was in better condition where the wood frame wasn't destroyed and he also had a very rare and original westy sink/refrigerator.

Sometime in October.
    There is a wonder guy in our VW club that makes reproduction westy interior panels out of a similar wood. I was able to get an entire set for my bus and I bought a nice stain from Homedepot to match it as close to the original color as I could.

Sometime late October.

I went to home depot and bought some snap click flooring and a saw and went to town. I think the interior floors came out nice.

The week of Early November:

I completely gutted the interior of the bus to go to town and cutting all the wood flooring and put them together. that was a mission and a half. Then when I was satisfied with that I stained the wood panel that goes between the bus and the rear bench so that the interior didn't look so bad. That was installed as well.

The front seats were completely stripped down to the bare metal. This is where my new angle grinder with a wire brush attachment came in handy. I went to town and removed all sorts of surface corrosion from the seat frames and painted them black again with a nice rust encapsulating paint so they shouldn't rust again. Then I re assembled with seats. I initially only assembled the seats 90%. I just ran out of time to finish the remainder of making them look better and correctly fastened. That will have to be a different weekend. I did replace my steering box with a replacement unit and steering is significantly improved. Yay I have steering.

November 7th

I woke up bright and early and took my accounting exam. I was rather pleased with my score and off I went with my dad on our journey to the Pasco Bug Jam 2015. The trip was long, the interior rattled, the rpms were high and the speed was low. I think we maxed out at about 68 mph on the trip. We were getting right up to the skyway that goes into Tampa Bay and I wanted to be able to carry my speed and not cause a slow down. Boy was I wrong. For a mile before the bridge the pedal was to the metal. Max speed was 68 mph. By the time we reached the top of the bridge we were now at 52 mph.

The drive was interesting. It started to rain and we didn't have working wipers (but what old vw really does). Thankfully rainx really does work so we were able to drive safely. We made it to our destination and we were at the show the next morning bright and early.

The show was great and we setup our folding picnic table and had a good time.

As we were starting our engines to leave the show my buddy's bus wouldn't start. We spent a good hour diagnosing the issue and it ended up being bad points. He is now using a pertronix electronic points system. On the way back home my speedometer cable decided that it wanted to die and not work anymore (I think it fell out of the wheel hub) so the whole way home we didn't know how fast or how far we were going. Normally that doesn't sound like an issue but I also dont have a working gas gauge. I was using my odometer to figure out when I needed to fill up and now I had neither a working gas gauge nor an odometer. Fun times were had.

We made it home safe not much else has happened since. School and work started to get crazy and my grandma's health decided to take a not so great turn so that has been taking up a lot of time as well.

All in all the trip was great and we were able to put the bus mostly together in time for it.

For my birthday my friend decided to make a painting for me. She knows I like turtles and that I have an old bus. It was spectacular.

Next up on the list of things to do is get the front nose and air scoop areas fixed from the rust and holes that are there from the previous owner, fix the horn, get the speedometer fixed and hopefully the gas gauge too (but that requires removing the engine), get BFG All terrain for my original 14 inch wheels I have on the side of my house, and last but not least to replace the shocks on the bus. Then it should be road trip worthy.

Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    2/20/16

I was at a friends house and we are working on the front nose where the spot light and CB antennas were.

Late at night photos. It looks worse during the day but now I don't have holes on the front of my bus. Yay.

Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    3/15/16
    Spring break started for me. With that I wanted to make some headway.

day #1. Pulled the motor to fix my oil leak.

I ended up replacing my oil cooler seals as well as pulling the gas tank and replacing the fuel sender.

WOOHOO!!! I now have a working fuel gauge. That worked tremendously well on my trip to Lakeland.

Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    4/4/16 I removed the pop top and started to clean it up. My replacement top showed that it was previously painted a beige color once before and it was flaking. I tried to use the pressure cleaner to get the top mostly clean but it didn't work very well. I used my dual action polisher with an interface pad and some sand paper (mostly 120 grit) and I was able to remove the the flaky paint and some problems with the top. Both the pop top and the rear pop top sanded down very well. The rear pop top had some issues with some cracks in the fiberglass. I ran down to Westmarine and bought their marine rx that applies similarly to bondo but it is to reinforce fiberglass cracks and stuff. I figured if it was good enough for boats then it was mostly good enough for the rear pop top. It worked well and I sanded down what protruded. I also filled in all the holes on the rear pop top that the previous owner thought were a good idea to put in to screw in a weird piece of edging. That did more damage than good for the roof and pop top but now the holes are filled in. I also bought some aluminum bar stock and drilled holes in it and placed it underneath all the holes where the cross bars attach. That should help reinforce the pop top and spread the load a little bit better. The rear pop top was sagging a little bit from years of pressure on one spot in particular. I also sanded and cleaned up the metal footman loops as well as the luggage rack bars.

Here are a few pictures of the process of sanding, fixing, and painting the pop tops. I rushed the painting a little bit and I was not able to get a second coat on before I had to head out for a vw meet / camping trip in daytona. I will be removing both tops again to sand the paint down and apply a second coat as well as sanding it down again to make it nice and uniform.

Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    4/8/16

We left for the camping trip and headed to daytona. I pushed the bus a little bit too hard and at the first gas station we stopped at we had a pretty massive oil leak. Just a month ago I had the engine out and I replaced the oil cooler seals. I thought they seated well and I drove with the new seals for about 14 hours total mostly highway and had no issue bit I think me driving 69 mph as opposed to the typical 64 made them leak with increased oil pressure.

I topped off the oil and limped the rest of the way to the camp site and we leaked a negligible amount of oil. The rest of the way there we drove around 60mph.

At the campsite we had a blast and I was able to setup my new hammock.

Overall we had a great time and the bus made it back safe and sound. Now that summer is coming closer we will be going to town on the bus and getting it ready for North Carolina this summer.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Always liked these buses. Many good times had in high school with my buddy's bus that we got into trouble with. Also I have like 100 different 1/64 scale versions lol. Such a cool vehicle, digging all the progress.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts
    Here is what I would recommend for the oil cooler.

Try to find a someone that has parts for a dual port Super Beetle engine.
    These engines had the oil cooler moved back behind the fan shroud to allow better cooling to cylinders #3 & #4.
    (The oil cooler you have now restricts the flow of air to #3 & #4 cylinders and also heats the air)
    After the air passed through the Super Beetle oil cooler it is directed out the rear of the engine shrouding.
    At the same time the Super Beetle oil cooler has better construction and has a larger cooling surface. These rarely leaked.

If you see the dual port Super Beetle engine all together you will understand. Look behind the fan housing to see the extra ducting.

So you will need the following parts to do the conversion:
    * Super Beetle fan shroud and generator fan assembly
    * Oil cooler and adapter off the dual port Super Beetle
    * Rear sheet metal shroud off the dual port Super Beetle
    * Oil cooler adapter seals to install at the engine case. (To go from small oil holes to large oil holes) This is usually aftermarket but I also believe there is a VW part number available for this seal.

I would run Mobil-1 15W-50 in the summer.

In the 70's I had a VW repair shop. We did this modification for type II customers on a regular basis when we did an engine rebuild. It really helped the engines live during freeway driving.

Side note: That oil puddle looks like it is aligned with the center of the engine. You may want to run the engine and see if it is coming from the rear main seal.
    Last edited by MiataQuest; 04-12-2016 at 10:29 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiataQuest For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (04-13-2016),tsingson (05-23-2016)

Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    I currently do have a small leak coming from the rear main seal that I was aware of and will be addressing when I pull the motor again. It was never as bad as that picture looks. I have contemplated going with the dog house style fan shroud and oil cooler but at the moment I already have all the parts for the non dog house. While at the daytona car show I was able to find an original non dog house oil cooler for $60. I am mainly interested in getting the bus running reliably and leak free for the moment but I will certainly be looking out for all the required tin and fan shrouding with oil cooler to get better cooling. I am dabbling with the idea of running dual kadron carbs in the future and going dual port. I will be collecting parts are the project progresses but right now I just want to have it working well.

I am running Rotella 15w40 because of the extra zinc that it has. We were thinking in the next few years getting a crate engine (not from Gex) dual port 1776 with dual kadrons.

The next big upgrade (rather than fixing things) is looking to be disc brakes for the front wheels.

Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    I spent the last 2 weeks grinding, sanding, priming, painting, and clear coating my bus wheels so that I could mount my fresh new tires. It is very difficult to find proper C rated tires in all terrain so I had to go with the general grabbers that were a bit bigger than I wanted in 27*8.5r14.

Old wheel and tire combo on the front. New on the rear.

The new tires drive very nicely now. They are much easier to turn at a dead stop and they handle a bit better. I am pretty happy with them except that they rub a little when I am at full lock. That will be addressed.

I was able to take the bus camping down in the Florida keys with some friends. Good times were had.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (05-24-2016)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast