Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given
    Yay, wats!

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Haha, don't get too excited; there's a huge distance between wanting something and actually having it! Jokes aside, I don't see Watanabes happening anytime soon....

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    When I ordered my Revlimiter gauges I had specified them with OEM bulbs, then Adam took some test shots using LEDs and he was so kind to send those along...so I decided to give them a try! Unfortunately one of them was defective, so I installed an OEM bulb and searched for a local shop to buy an appropriate replacement (since PayPal is still blocked for Greek accounts...). Another thing that bugged me was that the LED cluster was too bright, so I had to dim the interior lights; and then the HVAC and switches were too dark. I found a local store stocking all kinds of LED bulbs, so I decided to also buy a few T5 ones to change the HVAC/switches to LEDs as well. Since I removed the cluster, I also changed the ODO screen bulb with a white one, expecting to see it turn white. Well, that was not the case...

Extra hairdresser points to anyone that can name the ODO screen colour! Figured out that I would prefer it red over the OEM orange, so I went back and got a red bulb.

Way better, matches the redline hue really close! Now I gotta redo my needles in a darker red as well....

In the meantime, I also bought some Festoon LEDs for the footwell lamps. OEM vs LED

I think I prefer the warmer OEM light, but I had to keep a constant theme, plus the LED ones are so much brighter, that I decided to keep them for a while. Still need to do the switches and HVAC though.

Since there has been a lot of fuss lately about GarageStar/Ken Auto door bushes, I decided to start by properly adjusting my OEM ones. People, get off your asses and DO IT, it makes a hell of a difference! Also gonna machine some Derlin ones just to try.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Looks great Harry! I LOVE leds! Imo, even a retro inspired build can pull them off if done correctly.

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanks! Well, if I take your car for example, they can definitely work! I intend to keep the retro thing going...at the moment I am thinking on buying a pair of Elise seats and re-trim them in creme leather with a diamond-stitch in the middle, we'll see how that goes. A pair of frame rails and a rollbar are on the way too, hopefully they will be on the car till the end of August.

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Since my OCD level approaches infinite, I was really bugged by the chipped windshield wiper arms, so I re-painted them satin black, came out like new.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    First time in my life I see a 1.6 on NB2. Awesome!!!

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanks! They did come in a 1.6 variant in Europe, but I am sure they never made it into the US market, pretty much like the 1.5 ND. Here they are far more than 1.8s. You are not losing anything though, car screams for more power.

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    So I got the chance to pull out my fog light switches and dimmer switch today, as I wanted to swap their bulbs with LEDs, only to discover that those do not use T5 bulbs as I thought; they use some smaller ones. Does anyone know the type and where I could possibly get white LED replacements?

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Not much going on lately; lots of planning mods, sadly almost none done. Rollbar will delay a couple more weeks, so dicking around with the interior and planning to fab a brake master cylinder brace. Secured a pair of Elise S1 seats as well, but I will get hold of those in the beginning of September, and will need fabbing up mounts, so I do not expect those in the car anytime soon.

Speaking of interior mods, I am thinking of ordering a pair of warm white LED lamps for the map light and footwells, I believe they will suit the classy/retro theme that I have in my mind better than the cool white ones I run now, any suggestions on that?

Crappy cellphone pic to show current status:

The center "tombstone" (radio/ScanGauge) issue/mismatch will be resolved sooner or later, as I plan a rather radical modification (or rather removal/replacement) of those. HVAC will be pulled and bulbs replaced with white LEDs as well (T5's, already got 'em). Now need to find the type of bulbs inside the various switches..maybe I will attempt removing the "condoms" until I find suitable LED replacements, we'll see!
    Last edited by HarryB; 08-18-2015 at 05:55 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (08-18-2015)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Interior lighting looks great! I want to do some more white leds for when the door(s) are open or ignition is on but then red leds for 'flight time'. Keep up the good work Harry!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (08-19-2015)

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Got fed up of searching for led replacements for the switch bulbs, so I went on and removed the orange "condom" from the fog light one, to see if it makes any difference.

OEM on the right, removed condom on the left. So far I like it, might remove the rest tomorrow. Thoughts?

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    No much going on lately; too many ideas, too little time, work is hell. Anyway got to install an Opel/Vauxhall OEM front lip. Almost a direct fit, minor heatgun massage and fits like a glove. Polyurethane and at 20EUR you simply cannot beat it. Also got a chance to give it a good wash, it has been almost a month since the last time! And since it was clean, decided to take couple of photos.

I think I like the lip; car looks more aggressive, yet it looks subtle and OEM. Now looking for wheel spacers... Indicators have been also changed to clear/white at the front and red at the rear (EU cars have orange indicators all around). Also scored some stainless frame rails for a reasonable price (form Chaseroad), which should be here tomorrow, and awaiting shipment of my rollbar soon! Haven't completed the switch illumination mod throughout, as I also have something "unconventional" plans for the center console/tombstone, which I am really excited for!

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    New arrivals!

Elise S1 seats and frame rails (and my hardtop on the background). Super impressed by the seats, far better condition than expected and man they are light!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (09-04-2015)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mx54life's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    The Elise seat's shape does compliment the NB.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast