Thread: Racing beat elbow intake review:

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BoBo's Avatar
    Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given

Racing beat elbow intake review:

This is a nice item that's a bit overpriced. The total order was $268.11, shipped to my door. I'm pretty sure I can make one for about $25 out of Home Depot stuff, but I wanted a clean looking CARB approved intake that's guaranteed to produce some HP.
    Installation was easy and simple. It took me about 30-45 min to install the intake. The instructions RB provided were good. It made my engine roomier and easier to clean. Delivery was lightning quick and came in a nice little box.

Performance-wise, on a full tank of gas I only felt the engine breathing better around 3500 + rpm's to redline. It's nothing dramatic like a turbo, however, it's better than the stock intake setup. With a half tank of gas or less the performance gain is more obvious as long as you take it up to 5600+rpm.

I like the sound effects, the hissing on idle, and the throaty sound on WOT. I had the RacingBeat intake on my 92 miata, many years ago, and I felt more HP kick having the same intake on the bigger 1.8L . Would I buy this again for the same price? Yes

Last edited by BoBo; 08-24-2015 at 03:26 AM.
    08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Tuned/Track Prepared
    04 Z4 2.5 M Sport Package
    01 SLK 230 Kompressor AMG Sport Package

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BoBo For This Useful Post:

91BRG (08-24-2015),Antonio (06-26-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (08-24-2015),Slampen (08-24-2015)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Product reviews are VERY important, imho, so thanks for the review.

I agree on the price and even when buying a 180* aluminum pipe, couplers and filter you are looking at only around $70+ shipped to your door. So i definitely think Racing Beat should consider trying to do something about the price but as you pointed out the whole CARB approval probably has a lot to do with the price.

I think i will follow babydriver's diy rb intake but use a aluminum 180* instead of the silicone since it's a little cheaper and a spectre filter instead of k&n for the same reason, however im considering doing a 3" velocity stack which will need a 6" inlet filter but haven't decided if i will do it now or wait till i had to the dyno for a stock intake vs diy rb intake vs diy rb intake with velocity stack.

I am confident that moving the intake further from the exhaust will lower iat's and help prevent heat soak which especially bad in stop and go traffic. My air temp sensor is usually 25*F above ambient driving and will get 50*F+ at stop lights with the temperature sensor below the stock filter and nearest to the driver side wheel well. Sorry wasn't trying to take over the thread.

Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    ^It would be nice if the RB intake only cost $150+tax and shipping. Have you thought about a diy Randal setup? That might be something to think about. I was thinking about getting the RB headers as well to round out the RacingBeat collection. However, it's not CARB approved even though I passed the sniffer test a few years ago on my 94. The smog guy didn't even care about the visual part. Jackson Racing is a good contender but after reading the reviews on how it cracks through time, I don't know. That kind of money can be used for over-sized pistons.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    I think $150+ s/h would be fair. I have considered a diy randall intake but i have a Cappuccino washer bottle reservoir that would be in the way and more importantly i havent made up my mind on induction path so i'd rather not "commit" to such a setup by cutting a hole in the firewall. I definitely think the diy Randall intake is a great choice. Anyways i don't want to derail the thread. Jealous of intake song you are enjoying!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

BoBo (08-24-2015)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! 91BRG's Avatar
    Drives
    91BRG
    Thanks Given
    the intake looks like it would benefit from a ducted headlight lid, would you consider one of those?
    I'm thinking of putting one on mine (I don't have the same intake, my filter is in the top right corner - but even then I can feel the heatsoak depending on the conditions)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    CARB approval probably has a EVERYTHING do with the price, they have to pay for that CARB test approval. And similar govt regulatory tests and approvals can cost upwards of $5000 to $20000.

An elbow pipe from the plumbing store wont meet that CARB approval. Which is probably fine for the other states. However, im sure the air nazis will do their best to move CARB compliance into other states as well.

Maybe ask one of the California tuners how much it costs, but im sure its not cheap.

Racing Beat makes quality products, and they have been in the tuning game since well before the 1st miata was even released, as they were focusing on RX7 tuning back then. You wont be disappointed with any of their products, be it intake, exhaust, header, bodykit, etc. its all very high quality made products.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

BoBo (08-24-2015),Greasemonkey2000 (08-24-2015),tsingson (08-24-2015)

Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by 91BRG View Post
    the intake looks like it would benefit from a ducted headlight lid, would you consider one of those?
    I'm thinking of putting one on mine (I don't have the same intake, my filter is in the top right corner - but even then I can feel the heatsoak depending on the conditions)
    Most likely will get the ducted HL. the elbow does get hot. There's a good gap between the hood and the headlamp cover, and I also removed the black plastic divider to improve wind flow. I might get the track dog blanket too.

Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    More importantly I havent made up my mind on induction path so I'd rather not "commit" to such a setup by cutting a hole in the firewall. I definitely think the diy Randall intake is a great choice. Anyways i don't want to derail the thread. Jealous of intake song you are enjoying!
    No worries, I was a bit hesitant too to cut the firewall, so I ended up selling my FM stb and MC brace. I was suppose to go F.I. already but I have pistons and other internals to buy.