Page 47 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3740414243444546474849505152535457 ... LastLast

Thread: Cars, Coffee and California...

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    Have been hearing so many similar stories since shelter in place where every day feels like ground hog day for many working from home. Weekends and weekdays blur. Kids' homeschooling feels more like an extended summer break where parents are preserving their sanity by relaxing the usual rules on video game time, bed time, et al. The weekend evening pajamas and the work day pajamas have become pretty much the same thing. So I decided I needed to try something different and took Friday off with the goal of not joining the raft of Webex calls but to tackle something different. "Vacation" is a strange concept when every day feels the same but it actually didn't. I *knew* it was Friday, I knew others were working and I wasn't. I was finally stopping the excuses and procrastination to take on something I'd wanted to do for, well, for a few years...

When I got my Barchetta bumper it came with four clear lenses so after some digging around and help from friends I learned 1) the lenses are the same as old Mini's which Moss also stocks replacements for (p/n 115-534 CDU3374 for the amber ones if anyone is curious) and 2) the lenses can't be removed from the housing easily. Nic informed me the trick was to put them in the oven and bake them off. That sounded risky. Like what if the plastic heated to the exact right temperature to let off chemicals that would poison the whole family?! What if it melted the bases entirely when I haven't yet been able to figure out a suitable replacement?!?! What if I just messed it up entirely? Yep, lots of excuses. Enough of that so I set the toaster oven to 250 (easier to put it right beside the window), timer set for five minutes and waited. When the buzzer went, I opened the door and was horrified at what I saw. The lenses were bubbling and soft to the gloved touch. I think I went too far. The base of one of the lenses had softened and was slightly misshapen. Damn. The first lens could be coaxed away but the second was immovable. Back in it went. 30 second intervals. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat. Finally, the first small victory as I had managed to get them apart!

Next the base that had softened wouldn't accept the bulb housing. After about forty minutes of sanding and testing and tweaking and more testing I finally persuaded it to get back to a more normal state to accept the light fixture! (I was honestly sweating bullets the whole time that it may been irreversible).

The final decision was whether the turn signals should be on the inside or outside. It can be an aesthetic debate but I've seen plenty of examples of cars that look great going either route. The decision was made as a throwback to a functional purpose. What I use as day time running lights also serve as an analogue to the old British practice of requiring dim outside bulbs to denote the width of the car.

It took much longer than it should have but I'm so pleased with such a small modification and probably a little that I finally stopped making excuses...

Now let's see if that motivation extends to the Garagestar frame rails that have been sitting in my garage for nearly four years.

Stay safe and well!

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

druz (04-26-2020),fwdtamiya (04-28-2020),Greasemonkey2000 (04-26-2020),HarryB (04-27-2020),Ihatecars (04-26-2020),JamieH (04-26-2020),MiataQuest (04-26-2020),Roadster7 (04-26-2020),speedypenguin (04-26-2020),tsingson (04-27-2020),ueru (04-30-2020)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Ihatecars's Avatar
    Drives
    91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Dang, your lenses took a considerable amount more work to get separated. Your lenses must have had better adhesive or something, because mine came apart after just a few minutes in the oven at a fairly low temperature.
    Well worth the effort on your part. The amber lenses look really great and makes me think of the Higashi Bankin rotary Kenmari.(which happens uses the same lenses as our bumpers) Good look overall!

The frame rails are worth the effort installing. They really make a noticeable difference with overall rigidity. They're especially noticeable when leaving or entering a driveway.

Hopefully I could provide a little bit more motivation.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    It's honestly a little shocking such a thoroughly and well modded Miata is lacking reinforced frame rails.

Get'er done!

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Definitely like the amber additions! Sorry it didn't go so smoothly.

In my experience with "baking" plastic to separate lenses I went with 200-220F and that was headlights and taillights so I would think something smaller with thinner plastic I wouldn't go over 200F(I'd try 180-190F). Also I think a oven with more area and where the item isn't as close to the heat source would be better, just a thought. A little too late but may help others.

Frame rails are definitely worth the effort and honestly don't think installation is that bad unless your factory rails are mangled. Frame rails and fender braces are the two must have braces for the NA/NB, imo.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (04-27-2020)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Thanks gents, all sound advice on what I'd have done differently on baking the lenses if I were to do it again - lower temp, bigger oven!

Quote Originally Posted by Ihatecars View Post
    The frame rails are worth the effort installing. They really make a noticeable difference with overall rigidity. They're especially noticeable when leaving or entering a driveway.

Hopefully I could provide a little bit more motivation.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieH View Post
    It's honestly a little shocking such a thoroughly and well modded Miata is lacking reinforced frame rails.

Get'er done!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    Frame rails are definitely worth the effort and honestly don't think installation is that bad unless your factory rails are mangled. Frame rails and fender braces are the two must have braces for the NA/NB, imo.
    As many local roadster friends know, my driveway is unforgiving. In fact, my ride height was determined as the lowest it could be to get my car in with limited scrape-age. That and LA's tortuous speed bumps has meant the rails have also seen a lot of action. But then again, I've used those excuses for too long. Maybe rails will actually help the car clear the driveway because there's less flex! Thanks for the push. Every testament on their transforming effects and your encouragement has now motivated me enough to stop procrastinating on this project too! Unfortunately I didn't read these until now so will have to be next weekend ;).

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Roadster7's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,289 Times in 402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieH View Post

Get'er done!
    Get the pitchforks!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Roadster7 For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (04-26-2020)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone speedypenguin's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    We won’t stop till Benny gets frame rails!
    My Eunos Roadster, Jazz

11. The Following User Says Thank You to speedypenguin For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (04-27-2020)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Amber looks good! Piece of advice on the rails installation; use 4 jackstands and lift the car in a flat (or as flat as possible) floor (which is what we should be doing regardless) to avoid twisting the chassis.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (04-27-2020)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Woke up this morning to a prompt from a friend to check out Instagram where I was greeted by an illustration of Benny by Elizaveta Panina (@lizasmantis). She's a Miata owner and design student from Russia (https://www.behance.net/LizavetaPa)

I had no idea she was doing it so pretty fantastic to start my day with this...

15. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Antonio (04-29-2020),fwdtamiya (05-02-2020),Greasemonkey2000 (04-29-2020),HarryB (04-29-2020),Ihatecars (04-29-2020),JamieH (04-29-2020),Martin (04-29-2020),MiataQuest (04-29-2020),newoldm (04-29-2020),Phatmiata (05-09-2020),Roadster7 (04-29-2020),Slampen (05-02-2020),speedypenguin (04-29-2020),ueru (04-30-2020)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Oh my, that looks gorgeous

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (04-29-2020)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    This post is going to be about the lost art of patience, and the virtue of patience. You will likely need a healthy dose of patience to make it through my ramblings (at least there’s still the ability to scroll and just look at the pictures ;).

Going back to last fall, I was blessed by a spectacular JCCS weekend and in particular the many Roadster celebrations and joys of connecting with friends both local and those travelling in from the Pacific North West, Northern California and Florida. I decided I needed to go back and reflect on the fun we had… https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...l=1#post232814

You may remember that Corifto had figured out a way to make it here to join in on the fun. There are two things you need to know about Corey. 1. He has a massive heart and 2. He loves nothing more than making the impossible happen. On this particular trip that actually extended beyond trying to cover my ass by getting the slow cooker going as I hit snooze a second or third time after the 5am wake-up call. It’s taken some self-control to save the rest of that story until now.

In the weeks leading up to the event, Watanabe put out an interesting post on their IG feed that came up in a call with Corey.

Star Sharks were always my dream wheels but nearly rivalled by my love of the iconic shape of Watanabes. They looked so exceptional on Roadsters from Ueru to Woolery to Brian. My hankering for Sharks never went away and compared to the SSR’s they were a completely different approach to style and performance. A perfect complement in fact and a 50% discount could just maybe make the justification a bit easier. Likely a moot point as the likelihood of getting the cars there, setting up and being among the first 5 was a pipe dream. Corey? Of course he took that as a challenge. Once down in Long Beach and past the holding pen, we were directed to our spots while the vendors were still setting up their displays. Corey parked the Sunburst and bolted to where he thought he’d seen Watanabe setting up. I was certain that wouldn’t get anywhere and got to setting up the folding chairs and the canopy for some shade.

I’m not 100% sure Watanabe were completely on board with the “first five” including participants nor were they ready to take any information, etc, etc. To Corey I’m sure those just sounded like excuses and obstacles that could somehow be overcome. I know he showed them a pictures of Benny and probably shared some story or other to convince them I was a legitimate and deserving candidate. Whatever his approach I’m certain he let it be known he wasn’t leaving without a yes and sometime after he returned, handed me a business card and said I should already have an email from Tom.

Seriously, true story.

19. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Antonio (04-30-2020),fwdtamiya (05-02-2020),Greasemonkey2000 (04-29-2020),HarryB (04-30-2020),JamieH (04-29-2020),MLambert19 (04-29-2020),Phatmiata (05-09-2020),Roadster7 (04-30-2020),Satisaii (05-01-2020),speedypenguin (05-01-2020),ueru (04-30-2020)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    One week later, on September 28th in fact, I made my payment to the US distributor that would get this process moving. The expectation was that these would take longer than their standard wheels so should expect four to five months for them to be delivered. How could I complain, I was actually going to have Watanabe’s for Benny!

I checked at the end of January and got some indication it should be fairly soon though no clarity on when. The same thing in February. And in March. At this point I felt it was fair to press for an actual targeted completion date but had no success with that. The only assurances I got were that they would let me know as soon as they were shipped and I should get them approximately a week later. It was the end of April meaning seven full months and I still had no idea what was happening. COVID’s impact on shipping was likely a new wrinkle to navigate. I had to give myself a stern talking to about patience and to put this in context of what was going on int the world around us. So much to be thankful for. Patience. Just needed to be patient.

On Monday afternoon I was waiting for the delivery of an oversized package. I saw the UPS driver walk up to the house, knock on the door, wave and go on his merry way. When I opened the door I was perplexed. Two boxes that were a lot larger than what I was expecting though seemed about the right weight of my other shipment. As it was a local shipment the JDM marking on the box was confusing so opened them up and pulled out two slightly smaller boxes that were inside…

I was baffled. Excited but completely baffled. Wait.. what? How?! The last thing in the world I expected was a surprise delivery.

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (05-02-2020),Greasemonkey2000 (04-29-2020),HarryB (04-30-2020),JamieH (04-29-2020),Roadster7 (04-30-2020),Satisaii (05-01-2020),speedypenguin (05-01-2020),ueru (04-30-2020)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Before even opening the boxes I had to check the specs to ensure there was no disappointment once I got inside…

I couldn’t read the offset but all the other markings stacked up. Type R? Check. 4 x 100? Check. 8.5”? Check (since -13 are the standard offset for 8.5 felt pretty certain that would be correct). Magnesium? Check! Now that was always the dream. In this spec they weigh in at 4.8kg each vs 6.9kg for Aluminum. Unsprung weight saving and all but to translate, 10.6lb vs 15.2 is a pretty massive difference.

Opening the boxes and a chance to inspect all four wheels. I’d never seen the magnesium wheels in real life but had really hoped they would look like this in the flesh. They call it “Mug”. It’s not bronze. Definitely not gold. Not brown. Just Mug I guess. I absolutely love it, even more than I had expected.

16 black Watanabe lug nuts were all there and in the right sizes. Four valve stems and four center caps? Check and check!

23. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (05-02-2020),Greasemonkey2000 (04-29-2020),HarryB (04-30-2020),JamieH (04-29-2020),MLambert19 (04-29-2020),Phatmiata (05-09-2020),Roadster7 (04-30-2020),Satisaii (05-01-2020),speedypenguin (05-01-2020),ueru (04-30-2020)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I had to wait til the next morning to call our local tire shop who were thrilled to have some business and shortly after a number of R888 225/50 and 205/55’s were on their way. They arrived the same day but restricted hours meant I would have to wait until the next morning to get them mounted, (road force) balanced and an alignment. This morning in fact. I could certainly be patient enough to wait another day even if just barely, right?

I was there when they opened their doors at 8am with eldest son bringing the family hauler to carefully transport the new wheels. We left them in safe hands with my preferred alignment specs and a technician that has never once tried to convince me to try something different.

I scheduled a break from meetings around the time they were promised with a little buffer on either side. I knew I would need to take a slightly longer route home before getting back to the calls. I also knew I would want some time to just ogle them. When we got there the contrast against the blue paintwork looked fantastic to me. Benny looked like an entirely different animal. The specs are very very close (only the 5 offset difference between -8 and -13) but the simpler design in darker monochrome vs the polished barrels and the intricacy of the Sharks could not be more different.

When I pulled into the drive I was excited about the very last step. Installing the center caps!! To me they are the perfect finishing touch to Watanabe’s and I love the red accent. And then? They wouldn’t fit. Several attempts and some measuring. It seemed center bore of the Mg’s was 60mm and this style of center cap came in 63 or 70. Rather than be impatient and try to persuade one in with a rubber mallet I felt it was better to leave them as they sat and wait to hear back from the experts. It really didn’t matter though as it was so amazing to see how they transformed the car and maybe only a placebo effect but I could swear they felt lighter during my brief seat time.

Now before anyone asks, the Sharks are not for sale. Actually, will never be for sale. If you really want a set, load up with a healthy dose of patience and keep an eye out. A set of 4x100 will likely come up even if you have to wait few years like I did ��. I have assured my beloved Sharks they will not be forgotten. I even shod them in brand new R888’s at the same time since it was a bit overdue but also as I wanted to show them some love. The polish will be taken out this weekend so I can do good by their barrels.

I’m going to wait to post any updates on Instagram because, well, patience. The immediate gratification crowd can wait. I wanted to share with you first and if you’ve read this far, I appreciate your patience. I hadn’t meant to ramble but something about this journey of fulfilling my roadster ambitions always comes back to this group helping me define them in the first place.

As a final point on patience? I have failed. I didn’t take the time to wash the car. I didn’t drive it somewhere special. I didn’t wait until the centers had been replaced with ones that fit. I was impatient to share my excitement with all of you. I hope you can forgive me.

Love you, xoxo

25. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

benpopham (05-01-2020),fwdtamiya (05-02-2020),Greasemonkey2000 (04-29-2020),HarryB (04-30-2020),JamieH (04-29-2020),LagBlu (05-01-2020),Martin (04-29-2020),MLambert19 (04-29-2020),Roadster7 (04-30-2020),Satisaii (05-01-2020),speedypenguin (05-01-2020),ueru (04-30-2020),Vegard (05-11-2020)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MLambert19's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 LS3 R.I.P. 1990 Donor Chassis in Progress!
    Thanks Given
    Wheel porn! I absolutely LOVE the Wats, Pete! They are the perfect wheel for these cars, and if I could manage a set without flares that worked with my brakes and setup, I'd gladly pay the price.

-Matt

27. The Following User Says Thank You to MLambert19 For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (04-29-2020)

Page 47 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3740414243444546474849505152535457 ... LastLast