Page 45 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3538394041424344454647484950515255 ... LastLast

Thread: Cars, Coffee and California...

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Roadster7's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,289 Times in 402 Posts
    Yeah, Pete has a way with words. I love reading this thread.

Needless to say, cool wing, cool hood, cool car, cool dude. I'm so glad that wing ended up in the right hands.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Roadster7 For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (03-27-2020)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LagBlu View Post
    I΄ve seen through the posts here - it΄s very nice to read and I like the pictures. They create a good atmosphere of roadster life.
    The project is coming along nicely. The latest parts are beautiful and many know the feeling of surfing through yahoo in the evening,
    seeing old parts and clarifying the shipping after the purchase and eagerly awaiting the package.
    Sometimes it takes years to find the part you were looking for, but you know that the daily search was worth it.

In relation to the side skirts, I wonder why they are always called rs skirts. From 94 onwards, they were regularly available as accessories.

Thank you for the MPS concept book/picture. I wonder what Mazda thought about the ugly rear bumper.
    Danke, appreciate the complements! Since those side skirts came on the Japanese RS model that's why I've always referred to them as such. Didn't realize they were an option more readily available. I wonder if that was Europe only or Japan and North America as well.

Interestingly the MPS concept brochure came from Germany with the mazda.de url on the back page. I'm not sure I dislike the rear bumper as much (some images I've seen of the D-Technique TD-1001R make it look quite decent). I have heard others complaints about the NC-eque wheel arches but I don't mind those either.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadster7 View Post
    Yeah, Pete has a way with words. I love reading this thread.

Needless to say, cool wing, cool hood, cool car, cool dude. I'm so glad that wing ended up in the right hands.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Apologies in advance but right now I can't help myself with taking and sharing pics despite the fact Benny hasn't left the garage since his return. All I've done is removed the tint from the side windows, installed the hood struts and swapped out the rear tow hook (didn't realize getting to the front one with the FM intercooler was going to be so hard). Haven't put the replacement LevRimiter roundels back on or any of the other livery. I also have a set of orange lenses for the turn signals but apparently I have to bake the housings to separate the clear lenses. I haven't even done a test fit of the other trunks but happy to enjoy those tweaks more slowly and savor the process...

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

HarryB (03-27-2020),Ihatecars (03-28-2020),JamieH (03-28-2020),kung fu jesus (04-01-2020),MLambert19 (03-29-2020),Paul B (03-27-2020),Roadster7 (03-28-2020),speedypenguin (03-28-2020),tsingson (04-01-2020),vote4pedro (03-27-2020)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! LagBlu's Avatar
    Drives
    Laguna Blue΄94 Eunos
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrayleather View Post
    Danke, appreciate the complements! Since those side skirts came on the Japanese RS model that's why I've always referred to them as such. Didn't realize they were an option more readily available. I wonder if that was Europe only or Japan and North America as well.

Interestingly the MPS concept brochure came from Germany with the mazda.de url on the back page. I'm not sure I dislike the rear bumper as much (some images I've seen of the D-Technique TD-1001R make it look quite decent). I have heard others complaints about the NC-eque wheel arches but I don't mind those either.
    I looked again and took a picture. If it΄s not ok I΄ll take it out. It is the same in the 94/8, 95/9 and 96/12 shop options.
    As far as I know it was Japan only. At least I don΄t know anything else.

The mps brochure is from the introduction of the mps concept at the auto show IAA 2001 in Frankfurt.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LagBlu For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (03-28-2020)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Roadster7's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,289 Times in 402 Posts
    I can't get enough of this car.

Took the liberty of swapping your lenses for you.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roadster7 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (03-29-2020),MiataQuest (03-30-2020),speedypenguin (03-29-2020)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadster7 View Post
    I can't get enough of this car.

Took the liberty of swapping your lenses for you.
    Damn, that is just the motivation I needed!! It will look slightly different though as the inside lights are the DRL's (had them wired so I can have them on permanently) and the turn signals are on the outside.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    I like the orange a lot ;)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I did a most excellent job of procrastinating on swapping out the orange lens and switching the turn indicator for the running light (after Maksim adeptly convinced me with his rendering that was the right way to do it).

Instead the weekend held some social distancing at our own Cars and Coffee thought it just wasn’t the same without KINOD or other friends from the Roadster tribe.

Updated the passenger quarter window ahead of getting the full livery back on. For some reason I’m having a hard time covering up the clean clean sides, free of all the little dents and blemishes that had been accumulated over the years…

Swapped out the red rear Rokyu Rob tow hook and black Garage Star front for this matching set I scored from CMP

And then tried out the different spoiler options

Made me realize how much I actually love the Mazdaspeed one as well as how spoiled I am.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

druz (03-30-2020),HarryB (03-31-2020),Ihatecars (04-01-2020),JamieH (03-30-2020),Roadster7 (03-31-2020),speedypenguin (03-30-2020),tsingson (04-01-2020)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts
    How did you create the brushed finish on the Mazdaspeed A-Spec aluminum adjustable spoiler blade?
    Mine is painted and I will want to take it back to the aluminum.
    Thanks, and love all your story telling & pictures.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by MiataQuest View Post
    How did you create the brushed finish on the Mazdaspeed A-Spec aluminum adjustable spoiler blade?
    Appreciate the complements, thanks! The A-spec wing came like that when I got it. I only replaced the rusted bolts that held the wing on to the side supports with stainless steel ones.

For the Zoom wing it was a lot of sanding to get the discolouration sorted from the underside.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

MiataQuest (03-31-2020)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone speedypenguin's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Beautiful exterior rejuvenation for Benny!

The gold tow hooks pop nicely with the Star Sharks.
    My Eunos Roadster, Jazz

19. The Following User Says Thank You to speedypenguin For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (03-30-2020)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Apologies for the thread hijack Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by MiataQuest View Post
    Best way to do that would be by (carefully) using some paint stripper to get the paint off. Sand a bit if needed with some 180-grit sandpaper in one direction only. Switch over to 3M (I think red) scrub pads and do the same, just pay attention to the direction. You can practice on a scrap piece of aluminum first to get used to the process. They also sell scrub pad attachments for power tools but you need to be extra careful. I think Vaho did a great job with his door panels using an angle grinder with such an attachment.

Oh, and I very much prefer the Mazdaspeed over the other options too

21. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

MiataQuest (03-31-2020)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Ihatecars's Avatar
    Drives
    91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    I'm not sure how I managed to miss this thread for over 4 years now. Despite even being mentioned after you got the Cafe Roadster sticker. Better late than never I guess?

I've spent the past few days catching up on this thread from the beginning and it was well worth the read. This thread, your roadsters, you, and your family are something special. I really loved your cars before, but I have an appreciating for it all that I didn't have before.

The turn signals on the Barchetta bumper can be heated up in an oven enough to soften the glue. That way you can separate the lens from the housing safety without cutting or breaking.

I also really dig your Mazdaspeed spoiler. Sorta boyish in how large it is, but in the most fun way possible. It works.

and that "issue 1" style Road&Ster sticker is super cool too.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ihatecars For This Useful Post:

HarryB (04-01-2020),LagBlu (04-01-2020)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihatecars View Post
    I'm not sure how I managed to miss this thread for over 4 years now. Despite even being mentioned after you got the Cafe Roadster sticker. Better late than never I guess?

I've spent the past few days catching up on this thread from the beginning and it was well worth the read. This thread, your roadsters, you, and your family are something special. I really loved your cars before, but I have an appreciating for it all that I didn't have before.

The turn signals on the Barchetta bumper can be heated up in an oven enough to soften the glue. That way you can separate the lens from the housing safety without cutting or breaking.

I also really dig your Mazdaspeed spoiler. Sorta boyish in how large it is, but in the most fun way possible. It works.

and that "issue 1" style Road&Ster sticker is super cool too.

Glad you found some entertainment here and didn't tire of all the context . To me the stories of our cars and our journey's is what I've loved most about MRNet and all the Roadster nuts I've been fortunate enough to meet around the world.

I remember you telling me about the oven trick though still nervous about over-cooking them. The fit in the bumper itself has also never been great, any tricks for that?

Totally agree with you on the MS spoiler. I originally got it as a guilty pleasure.. I feel too old to rice out like that but the scale of it still makes me grin every single time I see it.

BTW: I'm still rocking the Cafe Roadster sticker with pride as a happy acknowledgement of the nice surprises this tribe has brought.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

HarryB (04-02-2020),Ihatecars (04-01-2020)

Page 45 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3538394041424344454647484950515255 ... LastLast