Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2730313233343536373839404142434447 ... LastLast

Thread: Cars, Coffee and California...

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    Seriously Pete I agree with you we need to plan it if not next year the following year a Mazda Roadster meet up.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MaRcOp01o For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (05-30-2019)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MaRcOp01o View Post
    Seriously Pete I agree with you we need to plan it if not next year the following year a Mazda Roadster meet up.
    Or both? Haha

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrayleather View Post
    Or both? Haha
    I don't see why not haha. We could all meet up in the USA (Preferably CA) then we all fly out.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MaRcOp01o For This Useful Post:

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone speedypenguin's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Beautiful write-up, Pete. I'm even more convinced to venture to Karuizawa soon. (Next year is an anniversary event? Think there was an MR thread about getting a trip together?)
    My Eunos Roadster, Jazz

7. The Following User Says Thank You to speedypenguin For This Useful Post:

Idling - Listen to it purr... Scat Adams's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 B&T
    Thanks Given
    Some of those Miata's are just flat out gorgeous. Thank you for sharing these pictures
    '95 B&T PEP package

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scat Adams For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (06-06-2019)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Unfortunately I got run down after the Japan trip and ended up spending a couple weeks in bed sleeping 18 hours a day to fight off a nasty virus I'd picked up. Finally back on track now so wanted to get around to sharing an update of the shoot Kevin set up with Nico behind the lens. As you know by now my skills don't lie behind the lens and I haven't figured out how to tackling rolling shots while driving. Have always wanted to get a better sense of what Benny looked like in motion. When Kevin offered up a local early morning shoot i jumped at the chance. We met before sunrise around the corner from my house to fuel up on caffeine and head out. Kevin had done some scouting the previous day and I had a favorite driving road up in Palas Verdes that I thought would provide a nice backdrop. The first stop was a private industrial area and thankfully one of the guys coming in to work let us know he heard on the radio they'd called security so we moved on before any one could ask us to. The shooting at our second stop ended abruptly because, well shooting. Literally. I'd parked and Nico was taking some shots when we heard what sounded like a nail gun. Then another and the sound of a bullet whizzing by made us scatter. We peeled out of there as fast as we could only to see the sign noting "Federally protected land - trespassing prohibited" along with all the other disclaimers. Didn't take enough time to read it in full but guessing somewhere on there might have stated we'd risk being shot at. Now I've lived in SoCal since 2011 but that was the closest I've ever come to what so many friends and family believe is a daily occurrence in LA and one I'd always dismissed. Flipping crazy. We regrouped afterwards with our adrenaline still pumping making sure we still had it in us to keep going. From there Kevin was piloting a CX-5 with Nico braced in the rear with the tail gate up. All in all kinda nuts. Enough time has passed that I question if it all really happened (because its easier to not think of what could have gone wrong) and now just appreciate the amazing picture. Kevin did a write up on his site at Spiritroadusa.com but wanted to share some here...

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Cermivelli (07-10-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (07-08-2019),HarryB (07-08-2019),JamieH (07-07-2019),MiataQuest (07-23-2019),MLambert19 (07-07-2019),revlimiter (07-09-2019),Roadster7 (07-07-2019),Slampen (07-08-2019),speedypenguin (07-09-2019),tsingson (07-07-2019)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    As some of you diecast nuts know, HotWheels has now finally released their Mariner blue NA with roundels. Regardless of the fact that many local friends are convinced otherwise, and that the HotWheels design center is down the road from me, I have no belief that Benny was the inspiration for this build. The design timing would have been around Benny 2.0 (no flares) and despite the offset California plate, KGW-esque spoiler, roll bar, etc. Still not convinced. Now having seen one, the fact it’s a ’91 and has an NA8 dash I am certain it’s not my car. Haha. Regardless I was ecstatic they made a modded Mariner NA with roundels and couldn’t wait to find one. Once I learned of their distribution strategy, the fact you need to understand case lot numbers and figure out when they arrived at the local WalMart or Target or wherever I realized I was too impatient and paid the premium on ebay to get a few!

That was really cool. Such a crazy bridge between my childhood and the cars I loved. The car I love that I’ve had so much fun working on and realizing the link between the two. I owned a car that looked like a flippin HotWheels car. So much crazy. And then? And then! A carepackage came from RevLimiter. Well, from Sharka specifically. Inside was a couple HotWheels including another Mariner (I don’t think its possible I could ever have too many.. and also know too many people I want to share them with). Sharka penned a sweet little note to Benny which meant so much given what an inspiration Sharka has and continues to be.

And then!!!! I looked closer. I blinked a couple times because I thought I was seeing things. But then, no. This Mariner had been further modified. I still can’t believe it. This Mariner has its own set of StarSharks!!!! To coin a dear friend. Wow. Just Wow. So much perfect…

13. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Antonio (07-08-2019),Cermivelli (07-10-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (07-08-2019),HarryB (07-08-2019),JamieH (07-07-2019),MiataQuest (07-23-2019),MLambert19 (07-07-2019),revlimiter (07-09-2019),Roadster7 (07-07-2019),speedypenguin (07-09-2019),tsingson (07-07-2019),vote4pedro (07-07-2019)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Friday June 21st was KINOD’s 13th anniversary. I still wasn’t feeling great but rallied and expected I’d show up for a little while but leave early to ensure I got a good night’s rest. Feeding off the energy of everyone actually gave me the biggest boost I’d had in a while and I ended up only getting home some time around half past one. As usual I didn’t take any pics but it was a great turn out with over 100 cars. I did add some numbers to the roundels for the occasion…

On Sunday Emmi had set up a KINOD drop top day at Apple Valley Speedway (formerly Grange). Four classes: Beginner Grip, Beginner Drift, Intermediate/ Advanced Grip, Intermediate/ Advanced Drift. Dan’s birthday would have been June 22nd so the fact the anniversary meet and a track day were on either side seemed like a fitting was to celebrate him. Eldest son had also just graduated highschool with highest honors so I also figured that a helmet and his first track day would be a way better present than the set of luggage I got .

Frodo had leg surgery and had been house bound for almost a couple months. We had to limit his mobility while he healed so the poor little mutt started out in a 4x4 pen with his shaved leg and the cone of shame. You could tell he felt pathetic and clearly displayed his dismay for every KINOD I went to without him. He had another check in coming up that was intended to give him the green light to exit the pen but I realized we couldn’t leave him at home for 12 hours so his welcome return to KINOD ended up being expanded beyond all the people he knew to a couple long drives, a day with other dogs around and wonderful treats accidentally dropped from people filling their plates from the BBQ.

AVS is in the dessert so there was much need of sunscreen in the 100+ degree heat thus fingerprints everywhere but it was great to see dogo back in such good spirits…

As I think most people feel ahead of their first time on track eldest Son probably had some reservations. What if he was terrible. What if he didn’t like it. What if something broke. Etc, etc. I’d been there before and was sure those feeling would disappear soon into the day. We left our house at 6:30 with Pedro and bolstered the convoy with Bench, JonB and Dusty. Total is about 120 miles but since AVS is such a short track (perfect for Kart, Drift and Miati) the whole thing can be driven in 2nd. It’s a fantastic course for learning about braking, cornering and all the other important techniques. Also, top speed is pretty much limited to 70mph-ish along the front straight. Since we were in different classes and thought it would have been overkill to bring Benny we only went in Berg (plus it meant we’d have lots of quality visiting during the trip there and back).

I’d asked Pedro to take Linden for his first laps to show him the track knowing he’d be hard on it out the gate and has way more skill than I ever will. Son #1 came back a little wide-eyed and I think was surprised that Pedro hadn’t taken it that easy. It’s a massive adjustment to learn that putting your brakes on as if you’re trying to avoid hitting a little old lady crossing the street feels really unnatural but hard (and late) braking is part of getting around a track as quick as possible. I took him around in my session and then co-piloted with him to help give some pointers on braking zones, line, counter steering, etc, etc. Shouldn’t have been surprised that 18 year old reflexes would mean he was a quick study with pretty astonishing improvements from the first laps to the last in his first session. I couldn’t see under his helmet but was pretty sure the grin on his face as we exited to the paddock was sizeable.

Ken (Garagestar) and Forrest kindly captured it on film and by mid-day, any thoughts of leaving early were dispelled. Rick and Muncy cooked up a feast and lunch meant the track was completely open so out he went solo for his third session.

The timing had worked out perfectly as Berg’s tires were already past the wear bars but I knew we had enough to drive to track, a day of sessions and the drive home before new tires would go on the following week,. At his last session, Linden offed and debeaded a rear tire (from drifters, the drop off’s were pretty significant). I wasn’t that surprised and had a similar experience with my first time on track. Getting to better know your and the cars’ limits and a final chance to push it just that little bit harder. No other damage and James was there immediately with a jack and impact driver. I’d put the spare in the trunk but forgot that the Mark2’s lugs weren’t compatible. Garrett lent one from each wheel but Sonny reminded that the spares were only for a really short distance and the 120 mile drive home would have messed the diff. Domo to the rescue with a spare set of wheels since he’d brought extras for drift. Still missing lugs so Pedro gave up four more and brought the extra wheel home since we had no space. I’d said to the KINOD crew not to give this sentimental old fool a hard time for appreciating how great this crew is but the way everyone rallied to help was just another reminder of what a wonderful Tribe this Miata Tribe is! The three of us drove home feeling happy, exhausted and blessed.

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (07-07-2019),Cermivelli (07-10-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (07-08-2019),HarryB (07-08-2019),JamieH (07-07-2019),MiataQuest (07-07-2019),Roadster7 (07-07-2019),speedypenguin (07-09-2019),tsingson (07-07-2019)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Glad you guys didn't get shot. What a story. Pictures turned out great too!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (07-07-2019)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power druz's Avatar
    Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given
    The rolling shots came out great!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to druz For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (07-10-2019),oldgrayleather (07-08-2019)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Slampen's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    Those pictures reminds that photography is a profession.

Nice writing, as always.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Slampen For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (07-09-2019)

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrayleather View Post

And then!!!! I looked closer. I blinked a couple times because I thought I was seeing things. But then, no. This Mariner had been further modified. I still can’t believe it. This Mariner has its own set of StarSharks!!!! To coin a dear friend. Wow. Just Wow. So much perfect…

I still haven't done my own HW Sharka yet!

If I remember right, the mod list includes...
    - Those wheels. They're 3D printed from a shop on Shapeways that has a ton. Done in FUD (frosted ultra detail) and super delicate. Once a tire is mounted on those wheels it won't come off without breaking the plastic. Painted in chrome paint pen and (poorly) detailed in translucent yellow to get the gold stars. That chrome paint pen is insane. If you let it dry a month before handling, it won't ever lose the shine.
    - roundel painted fully white
    - tail lights painted red
    - door handles painted chrome
    - chrome mirror glass paint
    - chrome exhaust
    - and maybe the shift knob?

<3

in closing, I'm jealous of Nico's pix. Those are incredible.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

Cermivelli (07-10-2019),HarryB (07-10-2019),oldgrayleather (07-10-2019),speedypenguin (07-10-2019),tsingson (07-09-2019)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
    I still haven't done my own HW Sharka yet!

If I remember right, the mod list includes...
    - Those wheels. They're 3D printed from a shop on Shapeways that has a ton. Done in FUD (frosted ultra detail) and super delicate. Once a tire is mounted on those wheels it won't come off without breaking the plastic. Painted in chrome paint pen and (poorly) detailed in translucent yellow to get the gold stars. That chrome paint pen is insane. If you let it dry a month before handling, it won't ever lose the shine.
    - roundel painted fully white
    - tail lights painted red
    - door handles painted chrome
    - chrome mirror glass paint
    - chrome exhaust
    - and maybe the shift knob?

<3

in closing, I'm jealous of Nico's pix. Those are incredible.
    Holy schmoly!!!! No, not surprised your kind soul made a custom Benny before your Sharka but as a HotWheels noob I hadn’t even realised all the other details you put into this (wait, are there onions in this room?!). How incredible is that. For HotWheels nuts, what is the best way to display a single car?? I feel like the stock ones are fine carded but this? This needs an even better way to show it off!

PS: If you’re coming through SoCal on the way to MRLS I’m certain Nico and Kevin would LOVE to set up a shoot of Sharka.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (07-10-2019),tsingson (07-10-2019)

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    For my special single cars, I just tack them up on the wall in a protector case. I have a bunch - a collection of left-facing cars that I've acquired with the help of friends, a Koenigsegg signed by Christian himself, numerous rare cars collected here and there... They hang on the walls above my display cases of loose ones.

Yup. On the wall.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

HarryB (07-10-2019),oldgrayleather (07-10-2019)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    The week after our track day and the KINOD anniversary I decided to get the Sunburst out the following Friday to stretch her legs. KINOD is ~45 miles each way but at a very rare time of day where LA traffic is usually reasonable. Every single time I drive this car I’m reminded how great they came out of the factory. I feel so lucky that we have a time capsule like this.

One of the things Pedro shared at AVS was that his Racing Beat intake was one of his favorite mods even if there’s no expectation of a performance boon. I’d picked one up for Benny a few years back but once I decided to Turbo there was no need. Pedro’s reminder was enough for Eldest son and I to agree it should be installed in BRG post haste. Ah, but cruise control. So I ordered Racing Beat’s cruise relocation bracket and after a bunch of wrestling (mostly to get it to meet up with the Arc intake) we were done. We went out for a quick spin to check it out and the sounds in the higher revs were fantastic!!

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (07-23-2019),Roadster7 (07-23-2019),tsingson (07-24-2019)

Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2730313233343536373839404142434447 ... LastLast