Page 33 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2326272829303132333435363738394043 ... LastLast

Thread: Cars, Coffee and California...

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    The rain let up briefly so we opportunistically pulled off for some group photos.

Vu’s stunning NB on MTE37’s on loan from Kevin.

We were on the coastal route to Laguna Beach but Gabele suggested we take a detour and roll into Cars and Coffee in San Clemente. The rain impacted the overall attendance but always fun to show up in numbers.

A couple people had to get on with their day but the rest of us made our way down for a final stop and pizza at Pizza Port. Another reco from Gabele, quite possibly the best pizza I’ve had in California.

And with that it was time to head home through the downpour that had returned. Such a great group of people. Really appreciate Kevin for organizing, Vu for egging him on, of course to Nico for all the amazing photos and Gabele who got MVP for the Cars and Coffee suggestion and picking our lunch spot. Hundreds of miles covered in less than 24 hours and awesome to welcome some new faces. The March cruise is planned for Santa Barbara but we’re talking about just having a standing date every month for an early Saturday cruise. Cannot wait for the next one. And with that, since Priority delivered the extra pieces I needed to finish my washer tank relocation, some new nuts from Downstar to replace the rusty ones on my front suspension bay its time to get on with the day…

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (01-13-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (01-13-2019),HarryB (01-13-2019),MiataQuest (01-13-2019),Roadster7 (01-13-2019),speedypenguin (01-13-2019)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    These photos are amazing!!! Nico did a great job on them!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (02-08-2019)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    California is still a thing?

No todo que es oro brilla.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MX5Wisher's Avatar
    Drives
    Fast as I can
    Thanks Given
    Are they too quiet? No louder than 95db I hear? Or don't...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MX5Wisher For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,352 Posts

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Martin For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (02-07-2019),MiataQuest (02-08-2019),oldgrayleather (02-08-2019),revlimiter (02-08-2019),Slampen (02-07-2019),speedypenguin (02-09-2019),vote4pedro (02-08-2019)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    thank you Pete!! I have tried like 5 times to get featured.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MaRcOp01o For This Useful Post:

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Very awesome! If anyone deserves such a feature it is you Pete! A very touching and inspiring story that we all know you would trade any day to have Dan back. Beyond that you are clearly a caring and thoughtful person and am glad to have come to know you through your great stories! Stay humble my friend.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 02-07-2019 at 10:20 PM.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (02-08-2019),oldgrayleather (02-08-2019),Slampen (02-09-2019),vote4pedro (02-08-2019)

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Of course the one feature I miss on instagram is this one. Thanks for posting it!!!!!!! stupid instagram algorithm! ugh.

Congrats on getting your story posted Pete!! So awesome.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

HarryB (02-09-2019),oldgrayleather (02-08-2019)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Had a funny discussion with Roadster7 about the GV top test fit that helped me realize why I so disliked it. PTSD clear and simple. It brought back the horrors of my failed attempt at adding a Martini inspired livery to Benny that just did not work. I’ve done my best to put it out of my mind. “Didn’t happen Pete" he said. I'll buy that. Thanks Maksim!

Been gone too long and missing this place and too many KINOD’s and generally feeling like all work and no play has been making this Jack a dull boy. Work had completely run me down and then I had a last minute trip to the UK with only a 48 hour turnaround which I wasn’t looking forward to. While I was waiting at LAX for my flight to be called, I got an email from Mazda USA’s PR firm saying they needed my permission if they were to post some pics and my Miata story as part of their 30th anniversary efforts. I had just enough time to send an email back to confirm before boarding. Certainly brightened my mood before lift-off with something to look forward to when I touched down 11 hours and nearly 4,500 miles later at LHR. Very clearly they wanted to play up the wholesome family angle and thankfully all three boys got included so wouldn’t have to deal with any sibling rivalry when I got home . Many of you know how passionate I am about the incredible gift that came from the hardship of losing my brother. Of picking up my first NA as a tribute and then discovering this incredible community. Some of you are like family to me and the warmth and depth of so many interactions has really touched me. And then. And then! Finally getting some oxygen and coming back to my build thread to see in my overdue absence Martin kindly caught me up and the rest y’all weighed in. Its like coming home again! ��

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MaRcOp01o View Post
    thank you Pete!! I have tried like 5 times to get featured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    Very awesome! If anyone deserves such a feature it is you Pete! A very touching and inspiring story that we all know you would trade any day to have Dan back. Beyond that you are clearly a caring and thoughtful person and am glad to have come to know you through your great stories! Stay humble my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
    Of course the one feature I miss on instagram is this one. Thanks for posting it!!!!!!! stupid instagram algorithm! ugh.

Congrats on getting your story posted Pete!! So awesome.
    Unfortunately while I was in the UK I had no time to connect with any Roadster friends or even enough notice to let them know I was coming (sorry James). London was on the brink of snow which throws a wrench in things and even though it didn’t materialize and screw up the flight plans it was bloody cold indeed (my inner Canadian recoils in horror at the notion that anything that isn’t double digits below zero is considered cold but Southern California has thinned my blood).

Since I always save an old HyperRev or Road&Ster for my long haul flights that helped make the return journey a little more enjoyable. There’s always something I discover that I never knew before. Like this.. didn’t ever remember seeing this version of the PitCrew seemingly dating back to before they landed on their much popularized and polarizing nose.

Anyways, over the last few weeks and in between work’s crunch I’d been trying to steal away a few moments here and there to tackle a few small but overdue projects...

I did finally replace the rusted nuts with a couple shiny set of Downstar’s with their flanges. For some reason only took a before picture but atleast that shows the state they were in.

I also replaced both worn and faded door top seals with new ones that I think came from IL Motorsports (no pics but trust me, its nice to look a fresh trim). And then II got the Dremel out to sort out the A pillar covers to install the Beatrush side latches that fit with the hardtop. They too had been sitting in a drawer for an inexcusably long time. Since I’ve really been enjoying running the hardtop also wanted to ensure the fitment was as solid as possible so replaced the rubber seals under the brackets to go along with the new OEM metal plates that replaced the worn originals. So much snug-ness!

And after two years (TWO YEARS!) of owning a Cappuccino washer bottle and then taking far too long to assemble the required hardware I finally got to it.
    p/n for those that want to order directly..

Decided while I was at it the Mazda Tribute washer nozzle upgrade was also worth it and although I don’t need to use them often here, the spray patter is a huge improvement. Just a little fiddly connecting the new tubing to the shorter stems.

Despite all the warnings, not a single clip holding the small tube to the underside of the hood broke,. Instead the connectors had completely deteriorated so swapped in some shiny new ones

Ah, now just a little bit tidier in there.

And then to wrap things up I added a couple more decals to each side to carry on the vintage racekor vibe accompanying the side winkers.

And now its Friday. And my first KINOD in far too long. And then a cruise that Kevin organized with a little impetus from Nico since in fact Sunday is the actual 30th anniversary of the 1989 Chicago auto show launch of the NA. So yes, we will be celebrating. Mrs. R is even going to join though as passenger. I’d originally hoped she and eldest son would all drive with the two other boys co-piloting but guess I’ll just keep working on that one ��

Happy Friday to each and everyone (except you Harry, Peter, Slampen and others, it’s already Saturday).
    Last edited by oldgrayleather; 02-08-2019 at 11:04 PM.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (02-08-2019),HarryB (02-09-2019),MiataQuest (02-09-2019),Roadster7 (02-09-2019),Slampen (02-09-2019),speedypenguin (02-09-2019)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Roadster7's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,289 Times in 402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrayleather View Post
    I always save an old HyperRev or Road&Ster for my long haul flights that helped make the return journey a little more enjoyable.
    This thread is modern day Road&Ster material for me. Updates here are meant to be read sitting down, with a cup of tea. ❤️

Quote Originally Posted by oldgrayleather View Post
    Had a funny discussion with Roadster7 about the GV top test fit that helped me realize why I so disliked it. PTSD clear and simple. It brought back the horrors of my failed attempt at adding a Martini inspired livery to Benny that just did not work. I’ve done my best to put it out of my mind. “Didn’t happen Pete" he said. I'll buy that. Thanks Maksim!
    You're taking this car in a crazy, wonderful direction, but you don't need me to tell you that. It wouldn't be the way it is now if it hadn't gone through that phase.

Hopefully I'll make it out of that phase myself someday. Haha...ha...
    Last edited by Roadster7; 02-09-2019 at 01:08 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Roadster7 For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (02-09-2019)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Congrats on the feature Peter, it was well deserved and (surprisingly for a feature) very well written! Also, great decision on the GV top, looking forward to see that on Benny!! Regarding stickers; I am usually against them, they look cheap and cheesy, however Benny pulls them off so damn nicely I love them!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadster7 View Post
    This thread is modern day Road&Ster material for me. Updates here are meant to be read sitting down, with a cup of tea. ❤️

You're taking this car in a crazy, wonderful direction, but you don't need me to tell you that. It wouldn't be the way it is now if it hadn't gone through that phase.

Hopefully I'll make it out of that phase myself someday. Haha...ha...
    You are too kind my friend and equally too hard on yourself. Live and learn is a great mantra. I have no issues making a mistake, just don't ever like making the same mistake twice .

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    Congrats on the feature Peter, it was well deserved and (surprisingly for a feature) very well written! Also, great decision on the GV top, looking forward to see that on Benny!! Regarding stickers; I am usually against them, they look cheap and cheesy, however Benny pulls them off so damn nicely I love them!
    I actually decided against the GV top. It was incredibly light but the fitment wasn't perfect and all the windows would have had to be replaced. As much as I was intrigued it wasn't for me and I haven't caught the fastback bug. It would take a Mazdaspeed top for me to change up from what I have now.

On the sticker's its funny. I have never put one on a car in my entire life. Never felt there was anything

With Benny it started with wanting to share some associations. First was MR.net, Cafe Roadster, Corns, a JCCS tribute and of course RevLimiter. Then came the roundels to break up the expanse of blue and suggest the track orientation. Maksim had a pair of those amazing Okomoto decals and generously offered them up. I really love them and the throw back to the 70's/ 80's Japanese race series so while I was toying with the idea of "enhancing" the winkers he again gave me some encouragement to give it a try. Like the martini livery always knew that they didn't have to be permanent but for now I'm loving them. xo

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

HarryB (02-09-2019),MiataQuest (02-09-2019),Roadster7 (02-09-2019),Slampen (02-09-2019)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    KINOD last night was fantastic besides the “cold”. Always so great to reconnect with the crew. There's one other Roadster community update from last week that blew me away. Thursday night I got home late to find a box waiting for me. A really big box. From Bankok?!

Inside was an equally huge chunk of Styrofoam. And a lovely note from Goff

Goff is from Thailand and has a superb Esqueletto NB with some exquisite attention to detail inside and out and under the hood. Haven’t managed to convince him to post in MR.net but you can find him on IG (zerodegree_zerodegree). He’s also an architect/ designer. For the 30th anniversary club meet in Thailand he also designed their event materials. I’d shared my immense appreciation of his exceptional work talent and asked if I could buy a poster. He refused to accept any money but asked for my address. It would have been amazing to have him go to the trouble of posting it in a tube but he went whole hog and had it framed. So now, another reminder of this wonderful tribe sits proudly on our fireplace mantle next to WilliWonga’s wife’s artwork that I gave Mrs. R as a Christmas present.

Sometimes the value of being reminded there are wonderfully kind people in the world is such a gift. And that even if you need Google translate to communicate with them we can find those connections.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

HarryB (02-09-2019),MiataQuest (02-09-2019),MLambert19 (02-09-2019),Roadster7 (02-09-2019),speedypenguin (02-09-2019)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Silly me. Then I guess that I would have the same issues, as I consider the OEM barely adequate in terms of quality. Goff is good people; I almost managed to meet with him last Christmas when I was in Bangkok. Car scene in Thailand is amazing BTW, people love modifying cars in general, and being relatively close to Japan (and driving on the "right" side) you get to see a lot of little gems.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (02-10-2019)

Page 33 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2326272829303132333435363738394043 ... LastLast