Page 39 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2932333435363738394041424344454649 ... LastLast

Thread: Cars, Coffee and California...

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    The top looks the part Pete, congrats on the purchase! Also, really surprised that's quiet as you described. How about the vent, does it work well? Regarding paint matching, I have had a black HT on my car for a year and I was OK with it, until I bought a color-matched one IMO color matched looks more refined and "finished" rather like a work in progress.
    Thanks Harry. . The vent might be useful.. for the passenger - haha. Haven’t actually driven with it long enough to test that yet. I was expecting it would create some noise tho. On color I can decide later as I have another part coming that needs paint. I really love a color matched top but right now there’s some novelty to the black.

Pity to have come all this way and not have the chance to see any EU MRnetters. I did try to convince the clans we should consider Greece or even Italy (Miataland anyone?) but think they may have been on to my Roadster scheming. Haha

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

HarryB (08-08-2019),tsingson (08-08-2019)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Antonio's Avatar
    Drives
    NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Pete, what a nice find ;)
    Maybe someone can explain me the purpose of that air scoop facing the back of the car?
    I agree with Harry, it will look awesome in mariner blue.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Antonio's Avatar
    Drives
    NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrayleather View Post
    Thanks Harry. . The vent might be useful.. for the passenger - haha. Haven’t actually driven with it long enough to test that yet. I was expecting it would create some noise tho. On color I can decide later as I have another part coming that needs paint. I really love a color matched top but right now there’s some novelty to the black.

Pity to have come all this way and not have the chance to see any EU MRnetters. I did try to convince the clans we should consider Greece or even Italy (Miataland anyone?) but think they may have been on to my Roadster scheming. Haha
    Next time I wish you could come and visit Italy. I will plan a gorgeus trip up and down the Dolomites and provide for a roadster for you and Jen.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Antonio For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (08-09-2019)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Sounds like a mr.net trip to Miata Land in the making!
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio View Post
    Pete, what a nice find ;)
    Maybe someone can explain me the purpose of that air scoop facing the back of the car?
    I agree with Harry, it will look awesome in mariner blue.
    Additional venting above the RHD driver on track. They also made a version with no scoop but aside from one on YJA that won’t ship even locally I’ve seen less of those. Same small rear window made of Perspex to help shed all that weight.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Mazdaspeed Hardtop!!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 443 Posts
    Sorry I missed the unveiling Pete.
    Really really nice addition to a really really excellent roadster.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to vote4pedro For This Useful Post:

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power druz's Avatar
    Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given
    I opted for 2 tone for the sporty look, but Benny is more of a finished and polished build so I think color matched would be the way to go. Of course it still looks spectacular now, so no rush

14. The Following User Says Thank You to druz For This Useful Post:

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! benpopham's Avatar
    Drives
    Eunos
    Thanks Given
    Congratulations on the MS hard top Pete, it suits the car so well, love it!

I have always liked the Mazdaspeed tops, but have never seen one come up for sale in the UK, got to keep my eyes pealed for one

16. The Following User Says Thank You to benpopham For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (08-12-2019)

Drives
    FM2 Turbo Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,183 Times in 472 Posts
    Hard top is great Pete. I had one without the vented top and missed out on one here in the UK that did due to lack of funds a few years ago. A great addition to a lovely car.

MadaboutMX5s

**** Tuckin 99 N2 'FM2 Turbo' Eunos Roadster ****
    **** Pitcrew Racing 'IRTB'd' Eunos Roadster ****
    **** 1995 'Stock' Satellite Blue Eunos Roadster R Limited ****
    **** 1993 Eunos Roadster 'JDM' S-Special ****
    **** 1991 'Stock' Eunos Roadster J Limited ****
    **** 1995 'Stock' Chaste White Eunos Roadster R Limited ****
    **** 1994 'Stock' Eunos Roadster RS Limited ****
    **** GReddy Turbo 'Demo' Chaste White Eunos Roadster R Limited ****

Instagram
    Facebook

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Madaboutmx5s For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (08-18-2019)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Madaboutmx5s View Post
    Hard top is great Pete. I had one without the vented top and missed out on one here in the UK that did due to lack of funds a few years ago. A great addition to a lovely car.
    Thanks mate. Super pleased with it even if the venting only really helps the passenger ;).

20. The Following User Says Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Madaboutmx5s (08-18-2019)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Could do like the Honda bois and do a RHD conversion to take advantage of the vent.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (08-18-2019),oldgrayleather (08-19-2019)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I’ve been looking forward to sharing this update for quite some time. Not because I got something new for Benny but because of how it all came together with the help of so many friends I’ve met through the Roadster community.

As some of you will remember, a while back AO had listed a white MazdaSpeed Type II rear spoiler in the For Sale section (yeah, the one with the Dunlop sticker that went to Rick and then next to another forum member). Since I always check in with my better half on any potential mods, at the time I didn’t really much buy-in (aesthetically, far too boy racer for her) so passed it up. I’d been hunting for a Zoom spoiler for a while and wasn’t 100% sure on the MS but ended up regretted letting it go. She later clarified that even though it wasn’t her thing she was totally supportive if that’s how I wanted to “ruin” my car next. Haha.

Then last July, a Mariner blue spoiler showed up on YJA. The usual challenge of local bidding (seller wasn’t willing to sell through an intermediary like buyee and I also didn’t really trust them with the shipping in any case). Kadin connected with Corns Japan and Tomio was more than happy to help. As bidding wrapped up we’d won and it would soon make it’s way to their shop!

Short of containers, shipping options from Japan are the biggest challenge, especially for large parts but as I was due to be in Tokyo in September I could just pick it up then. Tomio and Tomoyo were kind enough to sit on it in the interim. That trip was canceled, the next postponed and it wasn’t until May that I’d have my first chance to be there. When I arrived at Corns, Tomoyo had ever so kindly packaged it up for travel so it could be my checked bag on the return flight…

This created one challenge in that with the train up to Karuizawa and other travels it was going to be a nuisance to drag along on foot. Ben (bcpopham) who joined me on the pilgrimage and had much more practical experience getting around Japan said “why don’t you have your hotel forward it to your next stop in Kyoto”. Huh? Is that a thing?! Turns out, it is. For a reasonable fee (₯3000 if memory serves) they couriered both my bags from Tokyo to my next hotel where they were waiting in my room upon my arrival. Total lifesaver especially after my test run on the JR line back from dinner with Corns showed me how cumbersome it would be if it had to accompany me for the rest of the trip.

Off to Osaka airport and on the plane with no issues and then eldest son picked me up at LAX and shortly after I got it unpacked safely back at home.

I’d already started a search for an OEM Mariner trunk lid since mine was already drilled for the KGW. I also liked the idea of preserving the option to switch between them as the Type II is not the most subtle. The only trunks that were showing up were on salvage cars and in pretty terrible shape. It was looking like I should focus on finding any trunk and then have it painted when I was chatting with Bo about Roadster stuff in general (probably about the progress of his amazing MazdaSpeed C-Spec engined build with it’s complete Aero Kit Type II). He’d thought he might have a Mariner trunk that was already predrilled for the wing and noted the only issue was some residue from a stripe it once had. Shortly after a pic came through and I excitedly let him know I’d be thrilled to take it off his hands.

Figuring out a way to get it to SoCal from Oregon was the next step but as it turned out, GarageStar Ken was going to be up visiting and was happy to bring it down from Oregon in the back of his truck

First test fit confirmed what I was hoping.

I couldn’t find any info on what fasteners were needed but these M6 numbers were perfect for the job…

Saturday evening I spent some time cleaning and polishing the hood and wing before heading off to bed.

Sunday was our wedding anniversary so before celebrating with a family brunch I went out in the first daylight to swap it over.

Color match wasn’t far off and I loved the combo of the aluminum of the wing and the Zoom fuel lid. I couldn’t completely argue with Mrs. R that it did look a bit OTT (too much Racekor for the street) but not enough to spoil my excitement. We had plans for a good long drive in the afternoon but needed the top off so we could enjoy the perfect August weather. She also didn’t mind that I wanted to stop for a couple shots with Palos Verdes’ stunning views as a back drop.

To be fair, I think with the top off, the wing overpowers the car but I haven’t been running top down at all for the last few months. After we got home, Eldest son asked that since he was off to College this week and wouldn’t be driving anything for a long while if I’d make an exception and let him have a little blast in Benny for old time sake. Hard to refuse so he and puppers went for a night time cruise. When he got back the hardtop went back on and all was again well in the world.

I’m happy with this as the latest addition but ultimately blown away that if it weren’t for the support of family Corns, Bo or Kenjo this never would have happened. As always, reflecting on that really makes me feel so lucky to be part of such an incredible tribe.

PS: in checking back at some of the Mazdaspeed info, only now realized that the Sunburst NA was running a black hardtop with matching A Pillar. Hmm… still something I’ve got to think about…

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

benpopham (08-22-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (08-20-2019),HarryB (08-20-2019),MiataQuest (08-20-2019),Roadster7 (08-20-2019),speedypenguin (08-20-2019),ueru (08-20-2019)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    Pete when you get tired of it. You know what to do.

Also great write up as usual always love your updates.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

26. The Following User Says Thank You to MaRcOp01o For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (08-19-2019)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power bogaut's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazda Familia
    Thanks Given
    brushed ild matches perfect with the brushed airfoil. id considered polishing my airfoil to match the fuel lid, but didnt want to kill the og finish

28. The Following User Says Thank You to bogaut For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (08-19-2019)

Page 39 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2932333435363738394041424344454649 ... LastLast