Page 6 of 63 FirstFirst 123456789101112131656 ... LastLast

Thread: Cars, Coffee and California...

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Why not do the maintenance at the GW tech day? Recruit some help.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (07-06-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Why not do the maintenance at the GW tech day? Recruit some help.
    Was thinking it best not to be too ambitious for my first time at Woolery's as I'm already hoping to be able to get the suspension done along with a load of other smaller maintenance work. If all goes well, that might be the perfect starting point to convince Mrs. R that I need to install a lift in our own garage.. . Early days still in my transition from being mechanically inept (or atleast inexperienced). Beyond trial and error I know it's going to take helping hands along the way which makes me even more thankful how much experience and support there is from this community.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

Cars, Coffee and California...

I remember one of the GW tech days was so hot, I was barfing the water I drank in the back yard. It was brutal.

I did a full 100k service, including removing the header, but I asked for Dan's help on the TB alignment because I knew he would nail it the first time. I used the air tools and knocked it out in about 6-7 hours.
    Last edited by kung fu jesus; 07-06-2016 at 06:25 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (07-06-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Busy week for Benny & I...

Monday morning was the drop off at Hiro's for the timing belt, idler, tensioner, water pump, hoses, gaskets, seals et al.

Really impressed with the shop and their service. Hide was great and for me it was reassuring to know that Hiro has an NA and Joey (who worked on my car) also had his *much loved* NA there too. When I came back to pick it up, went through the state of everything that came off.. hoses were in quite a state and clearly weren't going to last much longer.

Friday night brought about the 98 mile round trip to the City of Industry for KINOD at MJ's (serving as a temporary location until we figure out how to get an official permit for the Puente Hills Mall). Was home and in bed by 1:30 for a quick turnaround with a 5:45 wake-up call to head down to Aliso Viejo for cars and coffee with my two co-pilots (the furry one and the other one that now has his driving permit). It's also about 100 miles round trip but I love the contrast of late night freeway vs crack of dawn.. makes for a fantastic back to back session on the open road. Ironically those are about the only times of day where freeway driving in LA is (mostly) enjoyable.

At C&C there's always something unexpected on top of the usual incredible collection of classics that are getting some road time. Loved this Morgan three wheeler...

Met up with a forum member for the first time who wanted to check out some of the Nakamae bits in person, particularly the center console. He's recently picked up a 94 black NA with 34k miles on it. My eldest son and photographer got out his fish eye lens when we got home to capture a better pic of it all together. Still loving it but thinking I might be happier with a Zoom center console just for the fit and finish.

While I was in the backyard having a little nap to catch up on a little sleep there was a knock at the door... the Fed-ex man had something to drop off! AND THEN....!!

THIS!!!

Gen 2 Xida's, 949's sway bar kit + a Racing Beat intake (going to require me removing the alarm) and some NGK plugs and wires!!

The build quality is absolutely incredible. Cannot wait until Woolery's Garage day next Saturday where hopefully my ride quality will be transformed! I've sampled Xida's before and was dutifully impressed. Not the priority but glad my ride height will finally be a bit more respectable.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (07-18-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (07-17-2016),HarryB (07-17-2016),JamieH (07-17-2016),Roadster7 (07-10-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Part of the allure of getting a Miata was giving this lifelong petrolhead the chance to finally learn how cars work by getting hands on. My NA was so clean as purchased I was afforded the luxury of choosing where to start and new (interim) wheels and the interior were easy starting points. The most fun was researching the hell out of all the options and landing on an idea for what the inside should look like but to be honest, I always felt a little unsatisfied after installing as it was so straightforward/ easy. Don’t get me wrong, I’m super happy with the results but if I were to do it again I think I could probably swap the seats, cluster, gauges, door panels, center console, speakers, AC plate, knobs, etc in a single afternoon.

I left the timing belt to Hiro’s (fear of the dreaded short nose crank) and landed a different priority at The Garage Woolery tech day. Loaded and ready to go.. didn’t look like I was forgetting anything…

After a year of researching suspension options, trying out some set-ups and, lots of one to one discussions with people on their experiences I bit the bullet and ordered a set of Xidas in the 550/350 “Touring/ Street Comfort” set-up along with 949’s Big Grip kit (Racing Beat front sway bar, Mazda 14mm rear and 949’s end links less the bushings as Emilio said until I got wheels with a proper offset it wouldn’t be worth it given scrub radius issues). I went with the spherical top hats, not expressly needed but preserves optionality to upgrade to 700/400 springs if my track day aspirations materialize after MRLS.

David Woolery, the SoCal Patron Saint of the communal Miata Shop, hosted an exceptional gathering at his fantastic home in Wittier.. or more expressly in his back yard complete with a five car garage, three additional covered areas to work on cars and a lift. Along with a garage full of probably every tool imaginable for any amount of work we would get up to.

Up until this point I’d never even put a car on jackstands and my preparedness for the install was limited to MR.net and other online resources (YouTube) and a couple books I’ve picked up. Of course it took longer than I’d expected in part to the 108 degree heat, time to visit and the need to crawl under the car and back out more times than I should have to get the right type of wrenches or sockets, etc. I benefitted greatly from all the arm chair mechanics and had some help at times.

The longbolt method worked fine so finally started getting them in followed by the sway bars..

The biggest pain was getting the Racing Beat blocks in and tightened up but having seen the comparisons of with/ without felt it was critical despite the number of times I wanted to give up…

Fwdtamiya even let me try on his BRG’s Starsharks as I’ve never seen a picture of a Mariner with them on and have long lusted after their beautiful old school styling. I wasn’t disappointed! I didn’t lower the car for fear of being incapable of ever lifting the car again to take them off..

I also was informed that my engine bay was actually damned clean (a pic prior to artcentermiata removing the nasty sticker). Perhaps I was being too harsh vs comparisons I’ve seen here of incredibly tidy, wire-tucked bays that I aspire to one day.

I arrived at Dave’s at about 10:30am and left at 10:30pm completely spent but very happy. I took the 40 mile drive home gently but even then I could tell the car felt transformed. Firm but compliant and confidence inspiring. I don’t yet have any new adjectives to add from what others have stated. Obviously will have to wait for some track time to get a sense of the car at limit (both mine and the cars ;). When I pulled into the driveway somewhere after 11 I nearly high centered the car since the ride height was too low. Sunday.. what a perfect day to work on the set-up.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (08-05-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (08-05-2016),HarryB (08-10-2016),Roadster7 (07-10-2018),tsingson (08-05-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    I've always liked what you've done to your car

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (08-05-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    The next morning, my eldest son and I went out for a Harbor Freight run to get our own jack and stands so I could get to fiddling with the ride height and to check the sway bars, end links and all other fastening points.

Better pic of the “clean” engine bay

A fair amount of tinkering but got to a ride height that is now sooooo much better..

Monday morning I got into an alignment shop in Santa Monica that argued about the recommended Dual Duty specs I provided noting they would kill the tires. I trust 949 implicitly so stood my ground with the “customer is always” right position (and the fact they’d get more regular business from me if I end up tearing through a lot more rubber ;).

Front camber: -2°
    Caster: >4°
    Front total toe: 0

Rear camber : -1.7°
    Rear total toe: 0

Was super excited when I arrived to pick it up knowing I was finally able to start testing out the new suspension. The drive home was incredible given how flat the car corners and how planted it feels. Still need more time for more thorough exploration but pretty damned pleased with my first more challenging project...

PS: vote4pedro kindly pointed me to a set of Roadster mats on YJ (were just the ticket to tidy up the interior) and with Fwdtamiya’s guidance I’ve learned that YJ is actually very easy. And buyee is quick with the turn around (damn I love seeing boxes from EMS)…

I can’t remember who I heard it from first but seems I’ve also now unlocked the “Miata-deletion” achievement.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

artcentermiata (08-07-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (08-05-2016),HarryB (08-10-2016),Roadster7 (07-10-2018)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Great work Pete! A proper suspension and alignment does so much for an already great handling car, I'm sure you won't be disappointed as you get more seat time!
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (08-06-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Something that's surprised me is that I've become more attached to Benny than any car I've ever owned. Something that doesn't surprise me is I also really love my eldest son (well, all three of my boys in fact) which has created some mixed emotions in linking the two. Namely his recent-ish development of having a learning permit combined with his burning desire to learn to drive standard. All my other cars have felt replaceable but for some reason that doesn't seem to apply to a 25 year old Roadster. Funny that.

He started learning stick on the Sunburst in one of the many local Northrup Grumman parking lots (until we got kicked out and had to find public lots that could accommodate) and progressed to driving around the local neighborhoods. The last few weekends we moved to stretches of road where the 55 speed limit meant he could work on getting into fifth and back down as well as learning to accelerate to speed more quickly than the 35mph stints between lights. Despite having driven the LA freeways in an SUV, I have a different amount of trepidation around him having both limited experience and being in something much more vulnerable to the hoards of careless drivers. It's coming along well and is only setting his sights on working and saving up to get an NA of his own some day. My two former co-pilots waiting for me to come back for some more driving.. with me in the passenger seat.

I'm hoping the offset for what might be a temporary lapse of sanity is made up for in great memories like the ones I still have of Dan teaching me to use all three pedals in his '78 124.

On Sunday I also had my car up on jackstands again to fit a GarageStar front tow hook that Jonb brought for me to the Woolery tech day. Despite everything I'd read about how hard it was to remove the baby teeth, it was surprisingly straight forward. He managed to have one of the limited run Black version left which I think is great since I appreciated the subtle change. I'd say something about artcetermiata's design work but he already knows it's good ;).

Now I know the frame rails I also picked up at the same are going to be a lot more work but hoping to plan a time to get them installed before MRLS...

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

HarryB (08-10-2016),Roadster7 (07-10-2018)

Drives
    FM2 Turbo Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,183 Times in 472 Posts
    Good additions as always mate.

MadaboutMX5s

**** Tuckin 99 N2 'FM2 Turbo' Eunos Roadster ****
    **** Pitcrew Racing 'IRTB'd' Eunos Roadster ****
    **** 1995 'Stock' Satellite Blue Eunos Roadster R Limited ****
    **** 1993 Eunos Roadster 'JDM' S-Special ****
    **** 1991 'Stock' Eunos Roadster J Limited ****
    **** 1995 'Stock' Chaste White Eunos Roadster R Limited ****
    **** 1994 'Stock' Eunos Roadster RS Limited ****
    **** GReddy Turbo 'Demo' Chaste White Eunos Roadster R Limited ****

Instagram
    Facebook

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Madaboutmx5s For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (08-09-2016)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Corifto's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,468 Times in 526 Posts
    Finally read through this entire thread. It's a beautiful car that makes me miss my Smurf. The meaning behind this car is exceptional and I know your brother would be honored.

Keep up the good work, and if I had to lose out on AeroDramatics to anyone, I'd be glad they're on this car.

Ps..never seen anyone cut cluster needles. I might have to do that next time I pull my cluster.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corifto For This Useful Post:

HarryB (09-04-2016),oldgrayleather (09-04-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Corifto View Post
    Finally read through this entire thread. It's a beautiful car that makes me miss my Smurf. The meaning behind this car is exceptional and I know your brother would be honored.

Keep up the good work, and if I had to lose out on AeroDramatics to anyone, I'd be glad they're on this car.
    Thanks Corey! Looking forward to all the new bits arriving and hope I do the AD's justice. Been an expensive week but excited about a raft of new mods coming up imminently. Have to get busy ahead of JCCS (always inspiring even though Miatas don't yet make the cut-off), MRLS the following weekend and then JCCS's Neo-classics in Oct. KINOD should be out in good numbers and I'll have both NA's there to showcase the contrast from loved but bone-stock.

SoCal truly has us spoiled between all these great events and the weekly KINOD/ CarsAndCoffee meets!!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Corifto's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,468 Times in 526 Posts
    One day I'll make it to JCCS and MRLS, likely without Lobo. But I want to go.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Corifto For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (09-04-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Three months since my last update but not because nothing’s been going on … it’s been a fantastic couple months with KINOD, Cars and Coffee, JCCS, MRLS, the Neo Classics and a completely irresponsible run of accumulating some of the things I’ve been searching for.

Sometime mid August, despite seeing a Porsche 918 and a McLaren P1 together in somewhat unusual colors…

…my favorite Cars and Coffee find that weekend was this 2000GT. I think my co-pilot agreed.

On August 27th, one of the KINOD members who’d lived in Japan told us that some of her friends from Car Make Corns were going to be in LA so we organized a Saturday CMC edition of KINOD to welcome them. Always great when Woolery has his PitCrew out along with artcenter and Max’s AK fastbacks,

The next week, a raft of awesome things came up in the classifieds. There was a set of RS Active headlights (drool), a Nielex tombstone and a killer deal on GV’s but after PM-ing the seller learned that everything had already been sold directly from Panjo . I was gutted, particularly about the RSA’s. Before I had time to feel too sorry for myself, fwdtamiya decided he was finally ready to part with his set so I got to pick them up at KINOD that Friday!!!

That night after the midnight blast home I was ready for the traditional cool down with a glass of whiskey, a chance to check out my new RSA’s and some time to surf the interwebs. MR.Net had some late night updates from the same seller and I wasted no time and went straight to Panjo. I managed to score an expensive set of KG Works TSI’s (I blame the whiskey), a leather Namakae meter hood and steering column cover (unfortunately learned they were RHD only which the seller informed me of before they arrived so the disappointment was reduced slightly) and a pair of Aerodramatic door pulls that I’d been hunting for some time (only having found either purple anodized or brushed handles or incomplete sets up to this point). As previewed above, the next day I learned that corifto had the same experience I did talking to the seller while the door pulls were snatched up. Despite having really enjoyed following his build it was the first time we'd connected. I still feel bad he missed out on the AD’s but am really glad it got us in touch as it’s been fantastic getting to know him!

While I waited for my order to come in, I had some fun getting the RSA’s installed…

26. The Following User Says Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Roadster7 (07-10-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    A couple weeks later the box arrived…

So I set to work…

The AD’s really complete the doors. RevLimiter once posted that they felt just right, the perfect analogue for the exterior pulls. I could not agree more!

The Nakamae pieces were returned to sender for a full refund but certainly galvanized my view that along with a leather covered tombstone, the interior would evolve to an even higher level.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (11-06-2016),Roadster7 (07-10-2018)

Page 6 of 63 FirstFirst 123456789101112131656 ... LastLast