Thread: MX-5 Spyder Miata SEMA 2015

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone MRnewsBot's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazda News
    Thanks Given

MX-5 Spyder Miata SEMA 2015

MX-5 Spyder Miata

MX-5 Concepts Display Two Different Takes on Staying True to Pure, Lightweight Sports Car Philosophy

Specifications for the Spyder are as follows:

MX-5 Spyder

Engine: SKYACTIV-G 2.0L DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder with VVT

Wheels: Custom Yokohama ADVAN Racing RS II 17 x 8 (42mm offset)

Brakes: Front Brembo four-piston calipers with vented rotors

Tires: Yokohama ADVAN A048 225/45/17

Shocks Springs: Adjustable coil-overs

Weight: 2,301 lbs.

Exterior Color: Mercury Silver

Interior: Seats, doors, trimmed in Spinneybeck “PRIMA” natural leather

Mazda revealed two design concepts today at the SEMA Show in Las Vegas, based on its all-new 2016 MX-5 Miata—MX-5 Spyder and MX-5 Speedster—demonstrating two vastly different takes on lightweight, open-air performance.

Lightweight. Fun-to-drive. Roadster. Those three tenets have served as the foundation for the Mazda MX-5 Miata since its 1989 introduction and continue to serve the new fourth-generation model. Focused, lightweight engineering is a guiding principle of every Mazda vehicle made with SKYACTIV Technology, allowing for greater efficiency, improved performance and agile handling dynamics'

But what if that sense of lightweight performance were taken to the extreme? What if Mazda’s North American designers harkened back to vintage roadsters to create thoroughly modern, bespoke concepts for what a lightweight performance car should be

The results would be the MX-5 Spyder and MX-5 Speedster concepts.

“Both MX-5 Spyder and MX-5 Speedster are uncompromising designs that highlight the core strengths of MX-5,” said Ken Saward, design manager, Mazda North American Operations. “The all-new 2016 MX-5 served as a blank canvas for our design team to create some truly one-of-a-kind cars, yet our SEMA concepts remain true to more than 25 years of MX-5 heritage.”

MX-5 Spyder is a sophisticated interpretation of the classic vintage roadster, which is designed to accentuate the open-air experience. Its bikini top was developed by ASC – American Sunroof Corporation with the fabric supplied by Haartz.

Other highlights include its specially formulated Mercury Silver paint color, carbon fiber aero kit, grille intake and body toneau cover and lightweight Yokohama ADVAN Racing RS II 17-inch wheels. Its interior is adorned in Spinneybeck “PRIMA” natural leather, lending a sense of vintage motoring from behind the wheel.

MX-5 Speedster pares the roadster back to the essentials for an unadulterated, wind-in-the-hair driving experience, evocative of the open-top sports cars of the 1950s—even going to far as to eschew a windshield for a deflector. In the same vein, the utter dedication toward creating such a focused machine led the design staff to build the Speedster with custom 16-inch RAYS Extreme Gram Lights wheels, benefitting MX-5 with less unsprung weight. MX-5 Speedster finished in a new concept color called Blue Ether.

Other details on MX-5 Speedster include an adjustable coilover suspension, which lowers it by 30mm compared with the production-car specifications, a Racing Beat center-mount exhaust, an interior retrimmed in Alcantara, carbon fiber Mu-Len Delta seats created exclusively for MX-5 and carbon fiber doors. In all, the lighter-weight materials have helped contribute to a weight loss of more than 250 lbs., with MX-5 Speedster weighing 2,080 lbs.

Saward and other designers worked from conception to construction to put the SEMA concepts together, partnering aftermarket parts suppliers and Southern California performance shops to create them. Partners include:

AC&A Manufacturing

ASC – American Sunroof Corporation

Delta Seat

Franks Fab Shop

Haartz Corporation

H&R Springs

KW Suspensions

Long Road Racing

Lusch

Makin Industries/RAYS Wheels

Racing Beat

SIM Specialty Interior Manufacturing

MX-5 Spyder and Speedster concepts are on display at the SEMA Show on November 3-6 at the in the Mazda booth, #11647 in the North Hall. More information about these concepts and more can be found at http://www.mazdausamedia.com/2015-SEMA-MX5-Concepts.

Click here to see the MX-5 Speedster Miata http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?12979
    I am your Mazda News Bot!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MRnewsBot For This Useful Post:

Dandy (11-03-2015),fwdtamiya (11-05-2015),tsingson (11-03-2015)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    This one looks similar to the White one they did a year or so ago.

Very cool they are taking designs from the aftermarket now, maybe the Project-G Bikini-Top will become a factory option in the future?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

HarryB (11-03-2015),tsingson (11-03-2015)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    This. I need this in my life. ASAP.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Flyin 92's Avatar
    Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given
    I LOVE the exhaust on the Spyder. Should have come that way from the factory.

The Speedster is just pure sex all around. I'd take it over the Spyder.
    Quote Originally Posted by zacatac View Post
    If I said the things in my head I would make a lot of enemies. All I wanted to say was "Isn't the fact that your double chin is resting on your tits enough motivation?"
    Link to the most lack-luster build in MR history

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    I think I just found the perfect color for when I get the seats redone.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (11-05-2015),HarryB (11-05-2015)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    I think I just found the perfect color for when I get the seats redone.
    Whoever ends up with the Silver Spider is gonna have a beautiful ride