Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Queen Elizabeth, the BRG

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Ctsquid's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 BRG SE
    Thanks Given

Queen Elizabeth, the BRG

Hello everyone! Thank you for taking interest in my build.

This is Queen Elizabeth. 91 BRG SE #156

Untitled by steve boutin, on Flickr

I bought the car, my third miata, in July with 54,413 miles. It was a one owner car, but it was not very well loved. The throwout bearing is toast, it has rotted out front fenders with a small amount of rust bleeding over to the rocker panel. The paint is faded and has a few dents and scratches. The worst thing about the car though, is the missing number plaque. I love the car anyway, and have always wanted a 91 SE. For the price, I couldn't complain too much.

I have since put a few thousand miles on her, and tomorrow I will be putting the car away for the winter and the repairs will begin. Anything that needs replacing will be upgraded to a higher quality or Genuine Mazda where applicable. I also have a few JDM goodies waiting to go on, though you will have to wait until installation to see those guys.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ctsquid For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (01-16-2017),Dandy (11-29-2015),MLambert19 (11-29-2015),Paul B (11-30-2015),phk (11-30-2015),Slipstreem (11-29-2015),tsingson (11-29-2015),WASABI (11-29-2015)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Welcome to the club Steve. I look forward to your updates.

Long Live The Queen!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Slipstreem's Avatar
    Drives
    Touka (1993)
    Thanks Given
    Hello and welcome! Happy to see someone giving new life to a Miata that was unloved.

BRGs are slowly taking over this forum...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Slipstreem For This Useful Post:

WASABI (11-29-2015)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Yeah. I have seen quite a bit of them popping up. Welcome and I can't wait to see where you take the Queen.

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    I think the number plaque is an aftermarket thing enthusiasts have added, so it's not really "missing."

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    welcome to the forum what are your plans for the Miata? Lots of 91 BRG owners here

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

WASABI (11-29-2015)

Drives
    1991 BRG SE
    Thanks Given
    My overall plans are to have a fun to drive retro weekend cruiser. I get excited about rare parts as much as most of you guys do and absolutely will not put any cheap replica parts on this car.

Id like to eventually do some sort of forced induction but haven't decided between a supercharger or a turbocharger. With a whp goal of around 250, I'm leaning towards an FMII setup, and forged internals.

I want a suspension set up that will keep me nice and planted, but one that won't rattle my teeth out. I'm looking at Feal coilovers. Feal revalved a set of STI struts for my Forester XT a few years ago and I was very happy with their work.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MLambert19's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 LS3 R.I.P. 1990 Donor Chassis in Progress!
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctsquid View Post
    Hello everyone! Thank you for taking interest in my build.

This is Queen Elizabeth. 91 BRG SE #156

Untitled by steve boutin, on Flickr

I bought the car, my third miata, in July with 54,413 miles. It was a one owner car, but it was not very well loved. The throwout bearing is toast, it has rotted out front fenders with a small amount of rust bleeding over to the rocker panel. The paint is faded and has a few dents and scratches. The worst thing about the car though, is the missing number plaque. I love the car anyway, and have always wanted a 91 SE. For the price, I couldn't complain too much.

I have since put a few thousand miles on her, and tomorrow I will be putting the car away for the winter and the repairs will begin. Anything that needs replacing will be upgraded to a higher quality or Genuine Mazda where applicable. I also have a few JDM goodies waiting to go on, though you will have to wait until installation to see those guys.
    This sounds so similar to my story and my car, I had to go check the garage to make sure it's still here. Also my 3rd Miata, also a BRG SE (#225) and also lots of hopes and plans. Although I'll be staying naturally aspirated for now. I look forward to seeing what direction you go with #156, and hope you make more progress than I have thus far!

-Matt

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipstreem View Post
    Hello and welcome!... BRGs are slowly taking over this forum...
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    Yeah. I have seen quite a bit of them popping up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    welcome to the forum... Lots of 91 BRG owners here
    I can't say that this is a bad thing.

Drives
    1991 BRG SE
    Thanks Given

The worst of the rust, a long term lack of cleaning out the fenders.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Corifto's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,468 Times in 526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandy View Post
    I think the number plaque is an aftermarket thing enthusiasts have added, so it's not really "missing."
    Correct. You can order them.

Quote Originally Posted by Miata.net Registry List
    1991 BRG. Quantity 4000, Factory sequenced. Don Diget (dlmldiget@gmail.com), 7767 Schooner Lane, Stanwood, MI 49346. There are no fees or other costs for registering your BRG-SE in the Registry. Blank dash badges: Linda Price (price.linda@comcast.net), (253) 564-2616.

They have the original number sets for the BRG Registry, and can register your car and Linda can sell you the plaque. I believe it's ~$50, and you have to have it engraved yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ctsquid View Post
    My overall plans are to have a fun to drive retro weekend cruiser. I get excited about rare parts as much as most of you guys do and absolutely will not put any cheap replica parts on this car.

Id like to eventually do some sort of forced induction but haven't decided between a supercharger or a turbocharger. With a whp goal of around 250, I'm leaning towards an FMII setup, and forged internals.

I want a suspension set up that will keep me nice and planted, but one that won't rattle my teeth out. I'm looking at Feal coilovers. Feal revalved a set of STI struts for my Forester XT a few years ago and I was very happy with their work.

Good plans. Basically what I eventually want with mine. I'm on BC coils with their extreme drop package and custom 10k/6k spring rates. They ride quite well.

Shame on those fenders. I'd have a near perfect Driver side for you but it decided to crack. If you need other BRG specific stuff I might have it. Just parted out #1793. I have the side mirrors, hood hinges, some plastics, seatbelts, and a good bit of other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by WASABI View Post
    I can't say that this is a bad thing.

There are literally dozens of us!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Corifto For This Useful Post:

WASABI (03-12-2016)

Drives
    1991 BRG SE
    Thanks Given
    I'm just going to find some really clean oem fenders from a part out or local recycler andhave the whole car repainted. There are a fair bit of nipple dents on the trunk lid and a few dings and a heavy scrape on the right quarter panel. I'm going to go with a base and clear, rather than the oem single stage. I have a few aftermarket exterior pieces that also need to be painted so I'll be able to keep the color matched perfectly.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch phk's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Welcome to another Connecticut Yankee. Nice Cah!

Oh yah, Packed sand and salt in the fenders. Left to freeze. Opens up a little gap…more sand and salt gets in…Freezes. And the best part…? You take your car to the car wash and rinse out the wheel wells with the high pressure spray. Which pushes the water further in areas that it would never reach. Plus, that water at the car wash…they tell it's filtered. The dirt and sand are filtered but not salt! So now you've blasted salt water into those areas that opened up due to freezing. But I digress…(I sure don't miss living in New England.)
    Last edited by phk; 12-01-2015 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Gramtical errors.
    PK in LV
    '91 BRG #3294 of 3995
    The top goes up when the storm has a name.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I'd suggest King Arthur as the car name. That way you can be a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

Drives
    1991 BRG SE
    Thanks Given
    Phk- luckily, this car will never see a winter day again.

Fbody- once the name is picked, it cannot be unpicked. That is quite clever though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast