Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watanabe RS-8 re-barrel

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Maybe try https://www.augmentwheels.com/ as well?

Just occurred to me that we have been using Keizer 3-piece wheels in FSAE a decade or so ago, and they are US-made. Might want to contact and ask them too.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

MLambert19 (01-03-2022)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    This is old, but I considered buying and rebarreling Wats a long time ago. The details are fuzzy, but there was something odd about them that makes them tricky.

There are a number of shops that could do it, VR Wheels in LA, Ehrlich Wheels in NC (VA?), etc., but expect it to be expensive. There just isn’t many ways around it. Aluminum prices are soaring too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

MLambert19 (01-03-2022)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MLambert19's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 LS3 R.I.P. 1990 Donor Chassis in Progress!
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post

Just occurred to me that we have been using Keizer 3-piece wheels in FSAE a decade or so ago, and they are US-made. Might want to contact and ask them too.
    CampySportSC_1800x.jpg

Holy smokes... I may reach out to them about some 15x9 4x100 Campy in gunmetal. Those would be pretty phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    This is old, but I considered buying and rebarreling Wats a long time ago. The details are fuzzy, but there was something odd about them that makes them tricky.

There are a number of shops that could do it, VR Wheels in LA, Ehrlich Wheels in NC (VA?), etc., but expect it to be expensive. There just isn’t many ways around it. Aluminum prices are soaring too.
    Thanks, just sent e-mails to both. We'll see. Love20Bee suggested welding the barrels together, but otherwise didn't mention anything difficult about them. One of the other vendors I reached out to only does 17" and larger sizes.

-Matt

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MLambert19 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (01-04-2022)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MLambert19's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 LS3 R.I.P. 1990 Donor Chassis in Progress!
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post

CampySportSC_1800x.jpg

Holy smokes... I may reach out to them about some 15x9 4x100 Campy in gunmetal. Those would be pretty phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post

Thanks, just sent e-mails to both. We'll see. Love20Bee suggested welding the barrels together, but otherwise didn't mention anything difficult about them. One of the other vendors I reached out to only does 17" and larger sizes.

-Matt

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power druz's Avatar
    Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given
    Pine Engineering built my MK3 but the cost of shipping back and forth from NZ might negate any savings over the cost from Love20Bee. Mine went from Japan to NZ to US.

Barrels alone are close to $2k since you need both halves. Love20Bee has asserted themselves at the top of this market in the US and can command a premium but since the RS8 are front mounted and yours don't need to be split, it shouldn't be a difficult job. I would definitely weld them though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12