Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Miata Exhaust, which one?

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts

Question Turbo Miata Exhaust, which one?

Any turbo guys on here have feedback on turbo exhausts?

Flying Miata? Enthuza? other?

what size? 2.5", 2.75", or 3.0"

Since I finally paid for my rollbar the FM2 Turbo Kit or similar will be on my radar goals for 2016, and the stock exhaust wont cut it.

? RotorNutFD3S ? psulja ? Hammerhead ? Revlimiter ? Corifto ? what are you guys running??

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    If a non turbo, non boosted opinion counts then i will add my thoughts. Most turbo enthusiast these days seem to say that 3" is best to avoid boost creep and allow the turbo to spool as fast as possible. As far as brand i think just about any 3" will do the job about the same but quality definitely comes into play here.

My first response for a turbo exhaust has always been ARTech, Abe makes phenomenal parts and can do a full hotside including turbo manifold, downpipe, catalytic converter or test pipe and exhaust. Since you dont already have the turbo kit but i would definitely email Abe, abe@artechfabrication.com , about a setup because when considering a turbo setup i compared prices and his are INCREDIBLY competitive especially considering its custom and will be much easier to install since he uses all vband connections. I don't know if you have seen any of his handiwork but here is my recently completed 2.5" exhaust from him:

Pricing is in my build thread on page 14.

One really great thing about Abe is he can do whatever setup you want for just about any turbo (t25/28/30, t3, t4, etc)...log style manifold, tubular manifold, ewg (external waste gate) mount, 2.5" or 3" exhaust, test pipe or catalytic converter, resonated or non resonated, small muffler/large muffler/no muffler, single or dual outlet and probably even center outlet.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 12-27-2015 at 09:27 PM.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (12-28-2015),Paul B (12-27-2015),Phatmiata (12-27-2015)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    And that's why I love to say that the best ad for your work is the quality of your work.

Drives
    '99 Brilliant Black Turbo
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 698 Posts
    I have an FM downpipe, RoadsterSport Midpipe, and Enthuza XR muffler. All 2.5" as 200ish whp is all I care to have on this car. I'd skip the RS Midpipe, the cat failed prematurely (seems to be pretty common) so Jason @ Enthuza replaced it with a metal core cat. If I was starting from scratch and looking for an off the shelf fit I'd go full FM or full Enthuza from the downpipe back. I definitely have an advantage being local to Jason and skipping the shipping charges. His work is awesome too.

That being said, Greasemonkey's recommendation has a lot of merit. I've seen Abe's work first hand on a custom turbo kit he built for a local buddy. Beautiful work. My buddy found a turbo with a v-band hot side, sent it to Abe, and Abe built everything around it. Was a perfect fit right out of the boxes.
    I've got a lot less horsepower - luckily they are Japanese horses - usually in better shape and more motivated.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RotorNutFD3S For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (12-28-2015)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Flyin 92's Avatar
    Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given
    I've had good luck with 2 5/7" piping.
    Quote Originally Posted by zacatac View Post
    If I said the things in my head I would make a lot of enemies. All I wanted to say was "Isn't the fact that your double chin is resting on your tits enough motivation?"
    Link to the most lack-luster build in MR history

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Flyin 92 For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (12-29-2015)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Airbrush1's Avatar
    Drives
    04 mazdaspeed
    Thanks Given
    On my old nb, I had a custom 3" System done locally and had it exit on the drivers side rather than the passenger side so there wouldn't be as many bends. We used a resonator and no muffler since the turbo quiets things a bit, it sounded and looked great, but I sadly have no idea where my photos are of it FWIW, the catted FM exhaust on my mazdaspeed is super quiet and not really my style.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Best Exhaust I have ever owned is a Greddy Power Extreme exhaust. While is not 3" exhaust the entire exhaust is ceramic coated and muffler is huge to keep the car quiet. If I ever own another NA this will be my exhaust.

EDIT

It looks like they discontinued it

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    maybe ill just order some custom cans from HKS and make a 3" version of the St. Mays Shotgun I have sitting here.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

Rogue (02-09-2016)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Black 2000 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    If a non turbo, non boosted opinion counts then i will add my thoughts. Most turbo enthusiast these days seem to say that 3" is best to avoid boost creep and allow the turbo to spool as fast as possible. As far as brand i think just about any 3" will do the job about the same but quality definitely comes into play here.

My first response for a turbo exhaust has always been ARTech, Abe makes phenomenal parts and can do a full hotside including turbo manifold, downpipe, catalytic converter or test pipe and exhaust. Since you dont already have the turbo kit but i would definitely email Abe, abe@artechfabrication.com , about a setup because when considering a turbo setup i compared prices and his are INCREDIBLY competitive especially considering its custom and will be much easier to install since he uses all vband connections. I don't know if you have seen any of his handiwork but here is my recently completed 2.5" exhaust from him:

Pricing is in my build thread on page 14.

One really great thing about Abe is he can do whatever setup you want for just about any turbo (t25/28/30, t3, t4, etc)...log style manifold, tubular manifold, ewg (external waste gate) mount, 2.5" or 3" exhaust, test pipe or catalytic converter, resonated or non resonated, small muffler/large muffler/no muffler, single or dual outlet and probably even center outlet.
    Beautiful exhaust kit that is. Any sound clip that we can hear how does it sound?

Idling - Listen to it purr... Mazdabp26's Avatar
    Drives
    RoadStar!
    Thanks Given
    I have FM Turbo dual exit exhaust. I like it since it's quiet. But it really feels restricted. My Begi slipon DP tends to slip off soo often. I felt a lot of difference when the exhaust slips off vs with it exiting through the FM exhaust. Feels like the FM is restricted. I would do 3 inch exit soon with better flow intake in the future.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mazdabp26 For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (02-09-2016)

Drives
    1993-LE Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 523 Posts
    I loved to sound of the custom 2.5" Magnaflow that Gee built for my first GReddy turbo kit. I remeber it to be just like this:

I'll stay with 2.5" piping from my RM downpipe and v-band it along the way to a custom Magnaflow with a center exhaust. Or...I'll cut my Corksport NB Duals and cretate a custom shotgun setup (but only if I feel confident enlarging the opening in my Works rear bumper.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by topover View Post
    Beautiful exhaust kit that is. Any sound clip that we can hear how does it sound?
    Unfortunately not yet my friend. The custom ARTech exhaust sounds great, very deep but may be just as quiet as the stock exhaust or barely louder at most rpms currently but have less than 200 miles. Plan on doing a video once i get 500 miles or so but when i do i will post in this thread:
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....673#post187673
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I have the FM 2.5" turbo exhaust. It lets me bolt on a stock cat every 2 years and drive around for a week. Not sure why I like to do that... it's kind of a habit.

It's the shiny one.

It's not very loud, not very heavy, and fits well. And it wasn't too expensive. That checks all of the boxes for me. However, I'm not much of an exhaust fan. If I had my way the car would make no exhaust noise (only turbo wooshes) and the tailpipe would look totally stock, while still flowing nicely.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (02-09-2016)

Idling - Listen to it purr... mrdos's Avatar
    Drives
    05' Velocity Red MSM
    Thanks Given
    My MSM has the full Flyin' Miata exhaust (including the DP) and I really like it.
    No it's not very loud, but it has a dep growl to it that I love, but then again I don't like being so loud that everyone can hear me from 1/2 a mile away.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mrdos For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (02-10-2016)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Custom. I had my mine done custom after various aftermarket versions. I had one joint, between the downpipe and the exhaust. The shop let me swap out out resonators to get the sound right for my purpose. It cost around $450, IIRC, and was mandrel bent SS. Exhaust leaks, droning, nor heat were ever an issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast