Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2427282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Paul B's 90 NA "Build"

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Paul B's Avatar
    Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 575 Posts
    So up here in Buffalo, winters make the cars go in the garage.

This winter I've been able to gather some parts to start prep for spring.

Got a new gauge cluster cover ready to go in with a new speedo cable.

Garage Star seat rails (still debating what seat to get)

Paco Strong arms

FM Cannon brace (already installed)

And now On the way is something big Ive wanted for several years now.

Some teaser photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (12-22-2018),MiataQuest (12-22-2018),oldgrayleather (12-22-2018),speedypenguin (12-22-2018),tsingson (12-22-2018)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MX5Wisher's Avatar
    Drives
    Fast as I can
    Thanks Given
    BBFW GT3! I Know! I Know. Insta is great...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MX5Wisher For This Useful Post:

Paul B (12-22-2018)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Was "granted" some Miata time by the wife today so I made the most of it.

Actually, was supposed to work on a friends miata. Plans fell through. So my wife let me work on my own miata instead lol felt good to be in the garage and wrenching. Awesome to be able to get parts in the car while Im not driving it.

Decided to start tackling the install of the Paco strong arms I bought a couple months ago to replace my frog arms.

Little Man assessing what works needs to be done. (there's probably tools and rocks jammed in the brake rotor and caliper now)

Comparo of paco vs frog arms:

Driver side installed:

Install was pretty easy. Easier than the frog arms. Hardest part was getting fender off. And the frog arm bracket is kind of a PITA. A lot of thought went into the Paco arms. Tempted to run no fenders for a few drives haha

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

91BRG (01-03-2019),Cermivelli (12-25-2018),Greasemonkey2000 (12-24-2018),HarryB (12-24-2018),MiataQuest (12-24-2018),MikeA (12-25-2018),oldgrayleather (12-24-2018),Slampen (12-24-2018),tsingson (12-24-2018)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Slampen's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    Comparo of paco vs frog arms:
    What differences are there except the look?
    Do you sense any difference in handling before and after the swap?
    Did you change just because you like black better than green?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Slampen For This Useful Post:

Paul B (12-24-2018)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Slampen View Post
    What differences are there except the look?
    Do you sense any difference in handling before and after the swap?
    Did you change just because you like black better than green?
    The paco arms mount in more locations and in two points a foot past where the frog arms end. 4 points ofer 3 at the hinges.

Paco arms feel much more substantial in my hands before install.

Def not a black over green thing.

Wont be able to test them until probably late march.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (12-24-2018),Slampen (12-24-2018)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Sweet parts, Paul! IMHO, the Boss Frog arms LOOK the least effective of all the fender braces I have seen. I had the Garage Star fender braces on Warbird but the Paco Motorsports have to be even better, again based on the design.

In my opinion the fender braces are one of the best braces to add to a NA/NB as they affect cowl shake, reduce NVH and improve turn in response. I definitely plan on trying the Paco Motorsports fender braces this time around.

I think braces are probably one of the most over looked aspect among the average miata enthusiast, sure frame rails are commonly recommended but that isn't even touching the true potential results that can be achieved./rant

P.S.-Stitch welding probably would make many of the braces unnecessary, again imo.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

91BRG (01-03-2019),oldgrayleather (12-26-2018),Paul B (12-25-2018)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    Sweet parts, Paul! IMHO, the Boss Frog arms LOOK the least effective of all the fender braces I have seen. I had the Garage Star fender braces on Warbird but the Paco Motorsports have to be even better, again based on the design.

In my opinion the fender braces are one of the best braces to add to a NA/NB as they affect cowl shake, reduce NVH and improve turn in response. I definitely plan on trying the Paco Motorsports fender braces this time around.

I think braces are probably one of the most over looked aspect among the average miata enthusiast, sure frame rails are commonly recommended but that isn't even touching the true potential results that can be achieved./rant

P.S.-Stitch welding probably would make many of the braces unnecessary, again imo.

If i could stitch weld and had the car all torn apart I would stitch weld everything. Im not talented so I resort to buying and installing other people's parts haha maybe one day when the car is all torn apart ill get into that.

Absolutely true about Frog Arms looking least effective. I can see how they were popular when they first came out. I much rather would have started with the Garage Star braces or Paco but these Frog Arms came to me locally for a good part-out deal so I picked em up a few years ago. Even being not the best on the market at time of install they definitely made a difference in NVH up front and improvements in turn-in especially paired with front sway bar. I can only imagine what the superior Paco arms will do. Excited for the first drive come late March or April. Such a long wait!!!

Im surprised that the Paco design wasn't discovered earlier. Unless technology / machining wasn't available yet to make them the way they do. Install of Paco arms was surprisingly much easier than Frog Arms.

Fender braces (no matter the brand) are certainly an overlooked brace by miata enthusiasts. I can see why though, after removing several Miata fenders over the years....it gets easier to remove them due to learning how to do it but it never gets less frustrating lol probably a daunting task for many owners. And always a risk of paint damage.

Frame rails are a PITA too but more advertised / popular /practical brace so probably a more used mod.

I still swear by door bars as the best brace for the Miata. (NA at least) . They seem to do the most IMO to hold the entire car together and stiffen everything up. If you can stand a little intrusion into cockpit room and a .05% (estimated) increase in difficulty entering and exiting cockpit then I say do door bars. Again, my opinion.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

tsingson (12-25-2018)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    96 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    Looking good, I'll be getting fender braces soon and had no idea Paco Eng also made them. Was going to go with the GS units. Btw love the gauge cluster.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nqjr For This Useful Post:

Paul B (12-27-2018)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by nqjr View Post
    Looking good, I'll be getting fender braces soon and had no idea Paco Eng also made them. Was going to go with the GS units. Btw love the gauge cluster.
    From looking at the GS fender braces , they bolt up the almost exactly the same way the Frog Arms do. Skip those and go with the Paco ones from the beginning.

And thanks for the kind words.

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    New Year, new roll bar. That's the saying, right?

Something Ive wanted since I first saw them arrived today. Lust began in 2015 maybe? But I had a solid roll bar and didnt NEED a new one. The HardDog HardCore Harstop Double Diagonal with Harness bar was great and will live on in a friend's Miata. That bar went through 2 of my Miatas with no issues. Just time for a change and spoiled myself(miata) for Christmas.

Ordered the Blackbird Fabworx NB GT3. It is incredible. Had it powder coated white to sort-of match the 30 yr old white paint. Time for a change after 10yrs of the black HardDog bar. Eventually when car is repainted the bar will be painted to match perfectly (unless i find i dislike the white)

Love the x-brace. I like the extra thought put into this bar (compared to tried and true "set it and forget it" HardDog). Full-width harness bar and OEM seat belt mounts are awesome.

Curious Dog is curious.

Packaged well. Took an hour to get it all unwrapped.

Had the car torn apart for the removal of old bar so it was easy to toss the new one in for a photo-op and fitment check. Held in with two screwdrivers in two holes that somewhat lined up haha Fitment is spot on though. Will need to enlarge a few holes a tad but it looks awesome in there. Cant wait to see how it looks under the hard top.

Will need a couple longer bolts to accommodate my door bars.

It looks incredible as it is right now IMO.

Plan is to run a harness and bucket seat as car is not a daily driver.

Time to order a seat and harness when this govt furlough is over.

What are the MR.net recommendations? Have had my eyes on the Sonic Motor VS3 and a Schroth anti-submarine harness.

19. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

91BRG (01-03-2019),Agent☣Orange (01-07-2019),edizluv (04-02-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (01-03-2019),HarryB (01-03-2019),marlonthegreat (01-04-2019),MiataQuest (01-03-2019),MX5Wisher (01-03-2019),oldgrayleather (01-05-2019),speedypenguin (01-03-2019),tsingson (01-03-2019)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Tossed the pad and cover on today. Also cleaned up some of my haggard cuts in the parcel shelf.

Will trim the edges with something nice.

Need to fine tune the cover but will do that after rollbar is fully installed. Had to grab some hardware tonight. Hoping to get it bolted up this week.

Cant wait to see it under the hardtop.

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

91BRG (01-06-2019),edizluv (04-02-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (01-05-2019),HarryB (01-06-2019),MiataQuest (01-05-2019),MikeA (01-05-2019),MX5Wisher (01-05-2019),oldgrayleather (01-05-2019),tsingson (01-05-2019)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Looking good Paul! I am always going back and forth between body-coloured and plain old satin black for roll bars, but this one looks really cool!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Paul B (01-06-2019)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    Looking good Paul! I am always going back and forth between body-coloured and plain old satin black for roll bars, but this one looks really cool!
    Thanks!!! yea I have not gotten sick of it yet. haha I think it looks awesome but Im biased.

Just needed a change from satin black that I had forever. I considered red to match some interior stuff and a lighter blue to match some other things but I figured id get tired of that suuuuper fast. White I don't think Ill get tired of too quick. Really wish it was perfect match but whatever

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

HarryB (01-06-2019)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Ya when I was looking at getting one for Warbird I asked Moti about getting it unfinished as I wanted to powder coat it clear, as he wouldn't powder coat it in clear, but he said he won't sell rollbars unfinished. Kind of lame but it is his right. I think matched to the body color is always a good choice. Pretty jelly, Paul.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Paul B (01-06-2019)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    Ya when I was looking at getting one for Warbird I asked Moti about getting it unfinished as I wanted to powder coat it clear, as he wouldn't powder coat it in clear, but he said he won't sell rollbars unfinished. Kind of lame but it is his right. I think matched to the body color is always a good choice. Pretty jelly, Paul.
    Thanks Brother! I wonder why uncoated is such an issue? Or why he wouldn't do clear. His right though, like you said.

I asked Moti in a message to him about possibly knocking the gloss down a bit but it got overlooked. Wasnt a huge deal. Probably should have called and spoke to him. I Was too excited and just wanted to get a white bar to me ASAP haha

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

Gene Rodriguez (03-21-2019)

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2427282930313233343536 LastLast