Thread: A 1992 with a 1.8L engine? Stock?

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given

A 1992 with a 1.8L engine? Stock?

Can this be true? The mystery of the 1.8L Engine - While perusing over the engine of a Miata, my father noticed the sticker inside the hood, giving the engine specifications; it said that the car had a 1.8L engine. "Oh cool," I thought, and the seller chimes in that it is in fact the special edition car. I brush it off as a nice plus. I got home later that night and began my research. Wikipedia says that the 1989-1993 cars had 1.6L, and only in 1994 did they begin making 1.8L. (Now, I am telling you all things you already know, but this was my process of discovery.) I called the seller back the next day and mentioned this curiosity.He said that a woman had come to look at it, and almost bought it a year ago, but the seller backed out. She had the same question, but apparently she returned to purchase saying that she had found something indicating that the car was genuinely stock. I called the local Mazda dealership and asked for the most knowledgeable person there for Miatas. He seemed to think that a 92 would never have come with a 1.8L. I also checked the VIN, it was for a 1992 Miata, so it isn't an issue of him not knowing his model year. He checked that the VINs around the car all matched. Any discussion would be thoroughly enjoyed.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

A 1992 with a 1.8L engine? Stock?

The hood is from a later car.

Or

The hood was replaced at some point at the body shop got the wrong underhood stickers.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (01-16-2016),Rogue (01-16-2016)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Rogue's Avatar
    Drives
    93LE #737, 93LE #783, 92BnT, 95M, 90A and now a 97PEP
    Thanks Given
    Check the VIN on the side of the oil pan of your "1.8"……Post a pic of said engine while your at it.
    1992 BnT, 93LE #737, 94M, 95M, 96M, 97PEP, and a few 90s

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Not stock. The door sticker will also tell you the engine. More than likely the hood was replaced, as KFJ said.

By the way, my roommate almost failed SMOG because his hood was swapped by the previous owner. Gotta have the correct stickers. Now, it's possible someone swapped the engine, but the only reason for them to swap the hood/stickers too would be if it was BAR'd in California or something. In which case you would see a large CA BAR sticker in the engine bay stating that it had been replaced.

1.6 engine (recessed valve cover lettering, 2 piece intake arm, AFM)

1.8 engine (protruding valve cover letering, single piece intake arm, MAF)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! 90blue's Avatar
    Drives
    a Miata 1990 blue VVT AEM EMS4
    Thanks Given
    What state are you in ?
    All Miatas 90-93 were 1.6l.
    Easiest way to pass smog would be to get the cam cover resembling the 1.6, swap vin tags on the pan (wait you dont have it), use the 1.6 throttle body and intake. You will still have the egr to deal with as the 1.6 did not have that.
    So, take it back and have the seller smog it.
    Peter

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    The hood is from a later car.

Or

The hood was replaced at some point at the body shop got the wrong underhood stickers.
    you are correct good sir. The hood was from a '96. Thanks for help everyone!

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch NobleRogue's Avatar
    Drives
    "97" Miata NA
    Thanks Given
    I had the same issue lol. Only in reverse. The hood sticker said it was a 1.6. My Miata was a "97". This led me to belive that my Miata was originally from the E.U. then converted to the U.S.. In the E.U. The Miata still came with the 1.6 in 97. I was wrong lol. My hood, like yours, had been swapped.