Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tyrant Fabrication Hardtop: Discuss

The Technical Guy RuckkehrMiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given

Tyrant Fabrication Hardtop: Discuss

So I know feelings are mixed, however I got to see this baby in person last night. While it isn't perfect, and despite popular opinion - the creator never claimed it was "finished", I think it has potential if he can reel in some of the defects and correct a few things with a second prototype.

IMGUR Gallery

...Discuss....
    `89 NA build: 二回目 My (defunct) `92 NA build: Ruckkehr

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RuckkehrMiata For This Useful Post:

tsingson (01-24-2016)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    I like the idea. Would love to see him get motivated and complete it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

RuckkehrMiata (01-24-2016)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    I do like the direction he is going.....................

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    I think that's my thing. I want to see him succeed. A nice, affordable and super lightweight track hardtop would be great. They DO exist, but I always try to welcome new parts to the scene.

I just wish the whole rollbar fiasco would have been handled with more professionalism

Drives
    LFX ND
    Thanks Given
    To be honest..... The fact that he brought that out in public, mounted with bolts through the hardtop rather than with a incorporated mount is quite sad. Thinking it is good enough to show off at this point gives me no faith in a quality finished product.

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Unk577 View Post
    To be honest..... The fact that he brought that out in public, mounted with bolts through the hardtop rather than with a incorporated mount is quite sad. Thinking it is good enough to show off at this point gives me no faith in a quality finished product.
    It was actually only brought out due to popular request at a meet

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Oh, I wish I had time to find the miataclub thread from a few weeks back where he claimed that the top had zero waves and basically zero imperfections, that it would just need a light sand and another coat of primer, then he would start production by using it as a mold. It's going to come out like autokonexion products, requiring dozens of hours and hundreds of dollars to correct in a proper bodyshop, if it actually is symmetrical.

I don't understand what he's "testing" in this phase, like he claims. Obviously not aero without a window, which all his customers will be running (he claims this hardtop to have some sort of aerodynamic advantage). Not fitment, since he's just running a skin with bolts straight through everything. Not performance, since it's nowhere near final weight. What is he testing?!

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by fwdtamiya View Post
    Oh, I wish I had time to find the miataclub thread from a few weeks back where he claimed that the top had zero waves and basically zero imperfections, that it would just need a light sand and another coat of primer, then he would start production by using it as a mold. It's going to come out like autokonexion products, requiring dozens of hours and hundreds of dollars to correct in a proper bodyshop, if it actually is symmetrical.

I don't understand what he's "testing" in this phase, like he claims. Obviously not aero without a window, which all his customers will be running (he claims this hardtop to have some sort of aerodynamic advantage). Not fitment, since he's just running a skin with bolts straight through everything. Not performance, since it's nowhere near final weight. What is he testing?!
    From what I understand, right now, he put it on and drove from LA to SF then back to LA. Just getting hours of runtime with it. IIRC based on a conversation I had, he changed his mind about using it for the mould.

IMHO this is a big case of "spoke too soon on social media and forums"

Supporting Member artcentermiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Silver Fastback NB / Blue NA
    Thanks Given
    I think most people know my opinion on Tyrant as a whole and on this top.

That thing needs a lot of work- usually you sculpt and finite the surfaces in your medium, wayyyyy before resin or glass is ever touched
    looks like he skipped an entire process dire to fiber forming, something that fillers wont fix-

Time will tell- as of now, im not satisfied with his attitude / knowledge or his products

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! JTninja's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Im hoping the final version uses the OE hardtop latch points instead of bolts going all the way through the hardtop.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by artcentermiata View Post
    I think most people know my opinion on Tyrant as a whole and on this top.

That thing needs a lot of work- usually you sculpt and finite the surfaces in your medium, wayyyyy before resin or glass is ever touched
    looks like he skipped an entire process dire to fiber forming, something that fillers wont fix-

Time will tell- as of now, im not satisfied with his attitude / knowledge or his products
    Has this been brought up before? I swear this is the first time I have looked at this thing.

Idling - Listen to it purr... Axt3365's Avatar
    Drives
    White 1994
    Thanks Given
    As someone who did fiberglass professionally before and still as a hobby, you guys are being kinda harsh on him. It looks good from the pics aside from the bolts ( I would have never done that even as a "test fit"). Not a fan of the shape but I do like seeing people go out and make something different. Anyone who actually sent that guy money after the rollbar scam is a sucker but props to him on thinking outside the box. Just realize that half of the "cool Jdm rare" parts that you guys drool over would not exist without people going out and trying to make something different than what's out there already. Hopefully he can make a few.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Axt3365 For This Useful Post:

Hammerhead (01-25-2016),Phatmiata (01-24-2016),RuckkehrMiata (01-24-2016),tsingson (01-25-2016),vote4pedro (01-25-2016)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Was this the company that copied Moti's rollbar?

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Was this the company that copied Moti's rollbar?
    with the whole improper strap installation fiasco, which is the maturity issue I related to

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! johnfett's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 SE Miata
    Thanks Given
    found this on one of the many FB pages

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Nuckles

I would highly recommend that nobody consider doing business with Louis Tyrant. I ordered a hardtop back in December for a pre-order and I just today got my new top.

This is the quality of work you will be expecting.

it looks excellent from a distance... but once you get closer you will see that the window is delaminating on arrival, missing bolts, orange peel in the paint, this thing was in a big cardboard box with a tiny bit of bubble wrap, it isn't even cured completely as the fiberglass resin is still tacky, the top does NOT fit, the top is not drilled correctly and the holes do NOT match up, no instructions on the website for how to install this top, but Louis will tell you that if you "fuck up" putting this top together that it will "void the warranty", because you didn't "call him on the phone". I have never done business with someone like this before so this is a first. But save your money. this was a complete waste of $1,000.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast