Thread: DIYroadster Door Bars (NB)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power pacman 99's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 BRG
    Thanks Given

DIYroadster Door Bars (NB)

Intro: I was in the market for some doors and the DIYroadster door bars had everything I was looking for. The least intrusive, the thickest tubing (1.75") and they were bolted on using a similar pattern used by roll bar manufacturers (Hard Dog, BlackBird Fabworx).

The deal breaker was the potential of adding these DIYroadster door bars to my existing BlackBird Fabworx GT3 rollbar. The bolt pattern was almost identical to BlackBird Fab. Moti provides door bars with his roll bars but unfortunately his are welded on and you'll have to live nearby to get it done. For someone like me in Texas....that wasn't going to happen.

I had modifications done to my car in preparation for so some door bars. Custom flat NB door panels and and upgraded to a Bride low max seat rail for more clearance. All of which were needed to make the door bars fit in my NB.

Pricing: Price is close to other door bars available for Miata's. If you happened to join a group buy which tends to happen every 4 months or so you'll get a great deal!!! $310 shipped $250 GB price

Shipping: It arrived in a timely matter 3-5 days. Packaging was excellent and nothing was damaged given its a pretty heavy box.

Installation: Installation manual is provided but I lost mine. I really didn't need it. Everything was self-explanatory. It helps to have a extra pair of hands when it comes to tightening the bolts. It can be done with one person but you'll have to have long arms to reach around to hold a nut and ratchet the other end. For my install the only modification needed to fit with my BlackBird Fabworx roll bar was to elongate the lower hole seen here. That was about it!

Review: I saw a great improvement in chassis rigidity! I've had several chassis parts installed over the years (GarageStar fender braces, R.S. Aizawa front strut bar, BlackBird Fabworx GT3 Rollbar, Ken Auto Door Bushings) and none of those made such a noticeable difference as these DIYroadster door bars. Road bumps and potholes are now a solid thump rather than rattles and shakes around the car. Suspension really seems to be working on a different level. The amount of flex in the middle of the car is now almost completely gone. I used to scrap going in and out of my steep driveway....but not anymore.

Getting in and out of the car is slightly different. Having to raise your foot a few inches isn't a problem to me. They are the lowest door bar available and it shows.

Overall, I'm very happy with this product and would recommend to anyone looking for added stiffness.

Installed Pics: Side note - I added Cusco roll bar padding for comfort and protection.

Last edited by pacman 99; 02-04-2016 at 12:06 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacman 99 For This Useful Post:

Dave737 (02-03-2016),Fishbulb (02-04-2016),tsingson (02-04-2016)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! 90blue's Avatar
    Drives
    a Miata 1990 blue VVT AEM EMS4
    Thanks Given
    Looking really good !
    As far as egress, they look similar to the Hard Dog ones I have in the 90 with Kirkeys.
    I hear they make quite the difference in the NBs.
    Peter

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch kitster's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Emerald Mica Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thx for the write up. I've wanted door bars and thx to ur post I will look into this bar.
    Thx again, beautiful ride

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Look closer Peter, the main difference is the angle making for easier egress w/ the DIY Roadster door bars. The HD ones don't angle down as much as the DIY version, look at some pics and the difference is much more apparent than you might realize.

HD
    m2boltindoorbar.jpg

DIY Roadster
    22933080936_2b80a0dca2_z.jpg

DIY Roadster will have group buys for $250 plus shipping usually a few times a year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

tsingson (02-04-2016)

Drives
    1999 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    Look closer Peter, the main difference is the angle making for easier egress w/ the DIY Roadster door bars. The HD ones don't angle down as much as the DIY version, look at some pics and the difference is much more apparent than you might realize.

DIY Roadster will have group buys for $250 plus shipping usually a few times a year.

Thanks for your input! The HD bars look really high in comparison.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pacman 99 For This Useful Post:

tsingson (02-04-2016)

Drives
    1999 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kitster View Post
    Thx for the write up. I've wanted door bars and thx to ur post I will look into this bar.
    Thx again, beautiful ride
    Nice. Thanks again!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! 90blue's Avatar
    Drives
    a Miata 1990 blue VVT AEM EMS4
    Thanks Given
    My apologies, I was thinking NA and not the NB

Here is a pic of my NA with HDs with the Kirkey
    Last edited by 90blue; 02-04-2016 at 10:34 AM.
    Peter