Thread: Going to Japan for the first time!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! turboedpickup's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Miata
    Thanks Given

Going to Japan for the first time!

Hello!

My wife and I are going to Japan and staying in Tokyo for a week at the end of May, and I wanted to know if you all had any recommendations for the trip! It'll be awesome regardless as our focus is going to revolve around food I would like to go to an automotive museum or two. Landscapes are awesome. Heck - if you guys know of any recommended tour guides official and unofficial, we'd be up for information on that as well. Anywho - thanks in advance!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turboedpickup For This Useful Post:

HarryB (02-16-2016),tsingson (02-16-2016)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch smy0003's Avatar
    Drives
    Gregory
    Thanks Given
    You can have an awesome time by just wondering around, catching the train, eating food from street facing shops near the train stations (BBQ skewers, yum).
    I highly recommend a JR Rail Pass, especially if you plan on visiting somewhere outside of Tokyo, if not a 'watermelon' card is really easy to use and cost effective for trips around Tokyo.

Make your way to Car Make Corn's and pick up a couple of little pieces for your 5, even just a keyring or something, worth seeing the shop, for sure.

Don't be afraid to eat the sushi triangles from Family Mart/Lawsons/7/11, you'd think be be stale and gross like in the west, but the nori is super crispy and ultra fresh. It's amazing what food can be bought from the convenience stores.

I ate some really weird stuff over there, uni, which is sea urchin reproductive bits, mushroom custard, teriyaki'd sea snail and some undisclosed animal's intestines. The only thing I really had an aversion to was the mushroom custard, not for me.

You can eat anything over there without fear of food poisoning, everything is very clean and there's unbelievably high turnover of product so everything is fresh. I felt more comfortable trying new and weird things over there than I do eating at my local McDonalds.

The only problem was that I developed a serious taste for high quality sashimi, and this taste is still draining my wallet today.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smy0003 For This Useful Post:

90blue (02-15-2016),HarryB (02-16-2016)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! 90blue's Avatar
    Drives
    a Miata 1990 blue VVT AEM EMS4
    Thanks Given
    In for the advice
    Peter

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! turboedpickup's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely make a visit to Car Make Corn's...and I'm in full agreement with you... sashimi/sushi/etc is going to SUCK after coming back

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts

Super AutoBacs
    4 Chome-3-8 Minatomirai, Nishi Ward, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture 220-0012, Japan

If you are not near that one there are many more, but this one and Bayside are the biggest IIRC??

More locations near Tokyo

https://www.google.com/maps/search/S.../data=!3m1!4b1

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

Driftdevil (02-17-2016),tsingson (02-29-2016)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    '95 Laguna
    Thanks Given
    I'm going to be in Tokyo for the first time the week after thanksgiving. It'll be for work, but I do have a bit of free time. I'm going to try to make a stop at Car Make Corn's, is there anywhere else that MR would recommend?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Iamiata For This Useful Post:

HarryB (11-17-2016)