Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How my 2016 Mazda Miata MX-5 has ruined cars for me (Read last paragraph first long).

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    2016 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Yes that's the spot. It is really obvious what is occurring, basically when the top is down in the plastic storage area the top rubs up against itself. I think something must be a little out of alignment because there isn't a whole lot of room in that car to begin with. After reading around the forums though I can find about 10 people who have had the same issue. 5 where they replaced the top. It is more than frustrating to first have Mazda pawn the issue off on me, then find out it is happening to others and they were lying to me. Both the lady I spoke with from Mazdacare and my Service Adviser said there was only one other car in the country with the same issue. This is a Mazda issue too, I feel like the dealership could be more proactive but they aren't the ones denying there is a problem basically Mazda has just kept me waiting for 2 months now while they "look" into it. I am beginning to think they are doing it on purpose because it has cost over 3k every time they have to replace the top, if the car kept having the same problem it has been having and they fixed it in a timely manner it would be on it's 4th top.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smyb1953 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (04-14-2016),tsingson (04-14-2016)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    Race car
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    It may be best to start a thread in ND section, titled something like "ND owners, share your experiences and issues". That may garner a focused attention from other owners and other problems to watch for.

The only issue I have heard about is the ECU on the ND pulling back on the engine if the oil gets hot, like on a track or hard driving situation. More of a self-preservation action by the car than a fault.
    I think you might have the only two people with NDs on this forum posting in this thread... the ND subforum is just Mazda press release coverage and misc questions from people who don't own the car.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DK AFFECT For This Useful Post:

etikoner (05-05-2016)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    probably because the ND Miatas are still pretty new to market, and IMHO the 4th gen Miatas are attracting more New-to-Miata owners vs current owners that are forumites on here.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

tsingson (04-14-2016)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    Race car
    Thanks Given
    It's not probably, it is.

Mnet has the most sizable population of ND owners. Miataturbo has maybe half a dozen, and one of them is Emilio. No idea about CR.

e: looks like CR is in the same boat as this place

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    So, I cannot speak for the NC Miata, but I know the NA and NB had similar issues. The NA tops were prone to wear from folding, the rear plastic windows were prone to breaking and sun scorching. The NB tops rubbed on the sides, with brought about a mild, virtually unknown design change to the side springs and side attachment rails in '03. I have *heard* of NC top wearing similarly, but I haven't seen it. I think to protect it, it might take some ingenuity or horse sense. NA owners would use pool noodles to protect their tops when folded, NB owners would poke out the side as they folded theirs. Maybe a simple cloth or towel laid in there might be effective.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

tsingson (04-14-2016)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    My NB top had a bad spot where it was wearing. It could have been improper installation by the POs.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    2016 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    My NB top had a bad spot where it was wearing. It could have been improper installation by the POs.
    I think it was, I am just concerned because I put 3k miles a month on that car easy probably 4 or 5000 miles is the closer estimate. I would just like them to come out and admit its a factory issue and fix it. If they can't do it right away say they can't, are working on it and it will be fixed permanently when they know what the issue is. Instead I just get that they are looking into it. They have been saying that for 3 months now.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Thanks Given
    Found this fast, maybe you've already seen it.
    http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=590780
    93' LE - FM II and more
    253k miles
    Smile

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 433 Posts
    Sorry to hear about your frustrating new car sales and trade-in experience but it sounds like par for the course if you ask me. Mazda isn't known for Lexus or Jaguar levels of dealership customer service. On top of that, you went to a big city dealer where you are more likely to be treated like a number and not a valued customer. Deals change 100 times a day and if it ain't in writing then it doesn't count. It sucks that you can't trust people but it's common sense that you can't trust an auto salesman. He's talking to dozens of potential buyers a day just hoping that he can convince one of them to pull the trigger so he can get a measly few hundred bucks commission. Although you might have integrity, most dealership employees don't care what was promised to you over the phone to get you into the store. Trade-ins usually are predicated on the actual condition of the car and all keys being present as they are costly to replace and are a security feature. Too bad the salesman, sales manager and finance manager didn't communicate that to you more clearly. Now you know. And if the deal changes (which it will if it isn't locked in writing) then messing with your trade-in value is easier for them than changing the sales price on the new car. The reason why dealers lowball most trade-in values is because everyone thinks their used car is worth more than it is so the dealer needs to hedge their bet. Worst case scenario the dealer wholesales your trade-in at auction and breaks even.

As for the top wearing, it's unfortunate but so long as you document it you should be good as far as the warranty goes. It's a first model year car so you've got to expect there to be some issues and for it to take some time for them to understand the problem, determine if it is normal wear and tear or a manufacturing issue, invent a fix and validate it and then communicate that to their dealers in the form of a service bulletin. And they might choose to prioritize fixing the issue on the production line over fixing customer cars. Hang in there.

Idling - Listen to it purr... PirateJim's Avatar
    Drives
    Black 2016 Club
    Thanks Given
    I always hate hearing stories like this! Being an aspiring old fart, internet car shopping is a new phenomenon I'll admit, but I am somehow not at all surprised that the dealer 350 miles from your home decided to squeeze as much from the deal as they could. They knew they'd never see you again.

But from the report, they did seem to treat you rather badly, and that left a foul taste in your mouth about the whole deal. Then you had a problem with the top, which I take it was handled by your local dealer that you denied a sale because you thought you could save a few bucks by driving 700 miles and then got raked over by the far away dealer. Then you get some other entity to do something major to the car and subsequently start seeing other problems with your top that Mazda is questioning.

With due respect, I'm not sure it's the car. But I wish you luck going forward.

Stalled - Fire it up!
    Drives
    2016 White
    Thanks Given
    To smyb1953. I noticed top wear on my ND after about 8 months but only 5,000 miles. It occurs in two spots, one on either side, where the top rubs on the seam that runs alone each side of the top. When folded these two spots occupy the same space and rub. I suspect it is vibration (as well as the obvious contact) as the cause. At first glance it appears the top might have been just barely cut by a sharp implement. However, the other side is identical. Examination near the base (back) of the top shows an identical wear mark (or witness mark, if you prefer) to that mark on the same side roughly above the seats.

My dealer in the DFW Tx area didn't balk a bit, and for that I am happy. They immediately ordered a new top, for which I am waiting. They indicated wait time was about 1 month but noted they weren't exactly sure.

For what it is worth, this is a first year model and one should expect design problems on any first year or first run of virtually anything. I work in the aircraft industry and there has never been a flawless entry to service of any aircraft I know.

Keep working on them at the dealer you deal with. Keep working with Mazda. Above all, keep working with any and all Miata enthusiast groups you can as there is where the real knowledge lies. Most things will get sorted out in time and with more effort than you probably want to put into it, but then that is the way love works -- and a bunch of folks have a real love affair with their little Miata (including me.)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luckyjack51 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (07-03-2016),NCGreasemonkey (07-04-2016)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12