Thread: Front lower brace question

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! SpeedWorks's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 miata; current build
    Thanks Given

Front lower brace question

OK everyone,

I've been looking at this brace for a while on ebay. It is stated for the NB, but i was wondering if anyone knows if it will fit an NA.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

Front lower brace question

I don't understand where this bolts to. Most front lower front subframe braces bolt to the rear points on the front subframe to box it. If I am reading the picture correctly, the plates in the upper right are for tying it to the floor?

As for fitting an NA, I first think, yes it will fit, but may need some modification.

Here are some pics of my lower front subframe brace on my NA. I just took these. My engine is out of the car, so it is a bit easier to reference. It is the 1" square tube running laterally across the width of the subframe. It is an old piece R Speed used to sell.

Last edited by kung fu jesus; 04-16-2016 at 06:36 PM.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    I will probably fit NB2 chassis (01-05) since the sports package and Mazdaspeed came with the OEM butterfly brace. On the earlier models there was not a butterfly brace under the tranny. Therefore, The brace above will only attach to the front subframe in your NA

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone RustRat's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given
    It looks identical to my Cusco lower brace, so I guess it would fit to 89-05 models, one way or another.

Pic:

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! SpeedWorks's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 miata; current build
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    I don't understand where this bolts to. Most front lower front subframe braces bolt to the rear points on the front subframe to box it. If I am reading the picture correctly, the plates in the upper right are for tying it to the floor?

As for fitting an NA, I first think, yes it will fit, but may need some modification.

Here are some pics of my lower front subframe brace on my NA. I just took these. My engine is out of the car, so it is a bit easier to reference. It is the 1" square tube running laterally across the width of the subframe. It is an old piece R Speed used to sell.

The way this particular brace mounts, if i'm not mistaken, is to the rear legs of the front lower control arm mounting points on the subframe and the rear mounting points from the front subframe itself. If this is the case, then it should work for both NA and NB miatas.

Quote Originally Posted by RustRat View Post
    It looks identical to my Cusco lower brace, so I guess it would fit to 89-05 models, one way or another.

Pic:
    Thanks for posting this. Yes, this ebay brace is a copy of the Cusco brace, so with the info you provided, now I know that there shouldn't be any issue mounting it.