Thread: DeTalks: The Basics

"Detailing Devil Dog" Junkman2008's Avatar
    Drives
    LS Powered Car
    Thanks Given

DeTalks: The Basics

Let me know what you guys think and if you would like to see more of these. Also, let me know if there are any topics that you would like to see discussed and whether or not you would like for the videos to be longer or shorter.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Junkman2008 For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (07-26-2016),Phatmiata (07-26-2016),tsingson (07-26-2016)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Nice perspective, joe vs pro. I like the point made about rotary versus DA. Rotaries require a LOT of concentration and skill to use. I was taught on a scrapped car behind a shop that was primarily used for spare parts. It has been so long since I last used one, I wouldn't trust myself to do my cars with one today.

Question: What are your thoughts on nanoskin technology versus clay? I use clay, but I'm interested to try the nanoskins if they are good.

Also, I run into a couple of issues when I detail my Miata. Some panels on my car have clearcoat, most are the original single stage factory paint. Am I doing harm using the same products on both? I stay on top of the single stage for oxidation reasons, and most people can't believe it's still the original paint. I want to be sure I'm not going to do damage on one finish or the other because of the hardness differences in the finishes.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

tsingson (07-26-2016)

"Detailing Devil Dog" Junkman2008's Avatar
    Drives
    LS Powered Car
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Nice perspective, joe vs pro. I like the point made about rotary versus DA. Rotaries require a LOT of concentration and skill to use. I was taught on a scrapped car behind a shop that was primarily used for spare parts. It has been so long since I last used one, I wouldn't trust myself to do my cars with one today.
    Exactly! The rotary is a tool that you have to be shown how to use by an expert. The end. Thanks for the feedback.

Question: What are your thoughts on nanoskin technology versus clay? I use clay, but I'm interested to try the nanoskins if they are good.
    Take a look at this video and see if it answers your question.

Also, I run into a couple of issues when I detail my Miata. Some panels on my car have clearcoat, most are the original single stage factory paint. Am I doing harm using the same products on both? I stay on top of the single stage for oxidation reasons, and most people can't believe it's still the original paint. I want to be sure I'm not going to do damage on one finish or the other because of the hardness differences in the finishes.
    What polishes you are using is NOT what's important. HOW OFTEN YOU HAVE TO USE IT IS. If you are doing EVERYTHING possible to keep from creating paint damage on the uncleared panels and the ONLY thing you are doing is removing oxidation, then a LIGHT polish is all you need. That coupled with a light ORBITAL polisher like the DAS-6 Pro or the PC-7424XP will allow you to work on a panel a BUNCH of times WITHOUT removing a lot of paint. If you are having to get MORE aggressive than that, then you are going to have an issue in the future. The same holds true for your clear coated panels only it's going to take a tad bit longer for those issues to arise.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Junkman2008 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (07-26-2016),kung fu jesus (07-26-2016),Phatmiata (07-26-2016)