Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1 Millionth Miata signing photos

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    No pics of my wife or I actually signing but here are some pics from the event that I took.

One millionth mx5

Look who is forever stuck with my wife and I in history, lol

Took a pic of Adam aka Revlimiter taking a pic of his custom millionth mx5 badge that read ''revlimiter''

A drone getting footage of the ND in action

Adam aka Revlimiter trying to get Ben w/ Autoguide wet

Adam starting his acting career, lol

For more pics and details on our trip see Warbird's build thread, #457 and #458:
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....408#post200408

Also I FINALLY gave in to ''peer pressure'' and made a instagram account so if you are into that sort of thing you can find me on there with the same user name, @greasemonkey2000.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (09-27-2016),HarryB (09-26-2016),MiataQuest (09-27-2016),revlimiter (09-26-2016),RustRat (09-26-2016),tsingson (09-26-2016)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
    Seeing as how it was the owners of CR that sent me to it... and it was a marketing vid for both Mazda and Autoguide... kinda had to plug CR.

No forum drama intended. I shared to show off my huge nerd levels.
    Wuhh? No drama intended my friend, just a poke in the ribs.

No todo que es oro brilla.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (09-27-2016)

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Sooo... even though it's got a bit more than just the Millionth Miata signing, I thought I'd post my whole trip here with pix from the MX5 Experience.

Where to start on this. I feel like I have to explain so much…

There was a post on another Miata forum. They were looking for a long-time member to go on an adventure. The member would be flown to Houston for the joint MX-5 Experience and Millionth Miata Celebration Tour stop. The owners of the forum posted this. It was legit.

I posted in the thread. I emailed back and forth with some folks from the admin team. They wanted to do a video with me about the new Miata. I agreed.

The next week, I was at the airport with my pocket-sized ND.

ND on the Beach

Galveston at Sunset

I was flown into Houston and was booked in a very nice hotel on the beach in Galveston. That did mean about a 2 hour fight through Houston traffic after landing, but it was worth it.

There wasn’t a whole lot of time for seeing the sights. I had a free evening in Galveston to wander the beach and see what there was to see. After that, the Miata train started rolling.

How about that pavement?

Thursday was lovely. I mean, look at that sunset pic above.

Friday? Not so much.

I got to the track juuuust about as it was submerged under water for the first time. Yes, the first time. Nothing like a totally soaked track day.

The sky opened up four times on Friday. Nothing was dry at the end of the day. But that didn’t stop the fun.

Braking Test

Slalom Test

Track Test

What is the MX-5 Experience? It’s a three-station test drive of the new 2016 ND Miata on a real track. It costs nothing. All you have to do is show up and Mazda lets you put an ND through the various paces.

But you have to show up.

They have a dozen or so tour stops throughout the country. At each of these tour stops, you get to do a braking test, a slalom test, and a road course test. There’s driving instructors in each car and you get your choice of automatic or manual.

This tour stop was around Texas City at a little track called Grandsport Speedway. It’s apparently a pretty small track. Not one person I talked to had ever been to it before. It was very nice though.

I mean, aside from the water it was very nice.

Dual Purpose ND

This is not a photoshop trick. The car is divided in half.

This whole MX-5 Experience Tour is really a great idea and an impressive thing for Mazda to do. The tour is NOT a small operation. There’s a lot of gear and individuals required for it to happen. I mean, look above. They had a bisected ND that was half track car, half stock Miata. They had tons of cool stuff like this that they brought on their tour.

The Experience wasn’t going to stop anywhere near my town, so I didn’t have my hopes up at attending, but… that turned out to not be a problem.

MX5 Cup Car

Staying Dry.

Yes, I need that wheel.

This ND cup car was too cool not to share pix of. It didn’t actually get to go on the track as far as I know, but that’s really okay. Words cannot express the buckets of rain that fell throughout the day. It was truly impressive.

"Under water" is a good description.

Ready for track time.

But back to the story. They wanted me to star in a video about the new MX5 and the joint tour stop of the MX5 Experience and the Millionth Miata Celebration Tour.

That meant driving Miatas. A lot.

The brake test consisted of launching an ND, going up to the middle of 2nd (about 45mph) and slamming on the brake to try out the ABS system. And it was impressive! Even in the super super soaked track parking lot (not the best surface), it hauled the car to a stop in short order.

I did this around a dozen times. Each time involved a Go-Pro being re-positioned slightly and Ben, the camera and media guru to stand in a slightly different spot.

Am I complaining? Nope. I got to sample the ND clutch on a launch many many times. And I loved it.

MMMMM. Brakes!

Next was the slalom test.

They… didn’t have a ton of room for this. The parking area was large, but it was also horribly flooded. Finding areas with as little standing water as possible meant the slalom got cut down to a four cone chicane with a very short start box.

I did this around a dozen times.

There was many splashes. There was much Go-Pro suctioning. There were many takes. It was great. I only nudged a few cones.

My steed for open laps.

Finally, the track test.

Each participant got to do two laps with an instructor in one of the NDs. You could choose manual or flappy paddles. After that, you got two more laps with a pro driver behind the wheel in a different ND.

I, um… got my money’s worth. I got about 8x the laps that I paid for.

Zoom Zoom

Splash!!!

Filming the driving segments required chasing the camera folks in their Hyundai SUV at a somewhat slow pace. It wasn’t at all boring though.

Then there were shots with a camera on the side of the track. I drove some of those and an instructor drove others. Frankly? I wanted to take some pix of the whole thing myself. I was let out to click off a few while a few laps counted off, then I got back in and drove more.

The lapping happened several times throughout the day. It was impressive to me just how much effort was needed to film a short segment.

Cleaned up for the interview.

And then the car got parked and I stood in front of it for about a half hour of interview questions. There was no rehearsal and I didn’t know the questions before hand. This was my choice. I wanted to react from the hip rather than have a planned answer for stuff. I thought it would be more authentic that way.

And this was the result.

They made me look far FAR cooler than I really am. I’m amazed by this video. I’m a huge nerd in real life, but they somehow made me look really great.

I mean, I’m squinty in the video, but that’s because I’m talking directly into the sun. It was not as pleasant as you might guess. But… worth the headache.

HUGE thanks for sending me to this event!!!! Seriously. You made me one happy Miata nerd.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (09-27-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (09-27-2016),Grumpy (10-08-2016),NCGreasemonkey (09-27-2016),RotorNutFD3S (09-28-2016),RustRat (09-28-2016)

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Approaching #1M

It will carry "Adam Wolf" on the fender forever.

I was physically incapable of doing anything but signing the car. I wanted to snap some photos, but the job ahead of me was too greatly anticipated.

They gave me a pen. I signed.

Well… I signed after several dozen takes of filming at many different angles. Me signing the car was a key part of the video. So, I walked up to it a bunch of times. I got down on the fender a bunch of times. I did a bunch of goofy thumbs up takes. And then I was allowed to sign it.

It was worth the effort. It was so unbelievably satisfying.

On my blog I popped the video here. You can scroll back up and watch it again if you want.

After the video (where they made me look incredibly cool – thanks again Ben and Colum!), I was taken away for more filming. And after that was done, I came back to #1M for some quiet time.

So many names.

I love the hood. Without the grid, you can really imagine what the finished car will look like.

I shot this over the rope. Then I had an idea.

Left side fender

I politely asked if I could come around and take some photos of the car. The caretaker happily agreed. There was no one else around and no line. I had #1M to myself.

Trunk Lid - Dallas folks got to add to this.

#1M interior

I snapped the above interior shot and the car’s caretaker told me that there were signatures all over it. Inside the doors, under the car.

Then he opened the door for me to see.

Engineer Signatures

Hidden

Special.

Seat Adjuster!

You can imagine how I felt about this. I don’t think I screeched like a little girl, but I might have.

Then he mentions something about more signatures behind hidden under the trunk.

And then he opened the trunk.

More engineer signatures

Tail light!

I snapped shot after shot.

I might have lost the power of speech at this point. I was all smiles just happily clicking away. Trying with all my power to make my shots focused and my framing good.

I’ve never seen any shots of this stuff. Maybe they’re all over the internet, but I had no idea that this existed. Getting to shoot it and share it with everyone on my blog. You have no idea how happy this made me.

Or maybe my words are giving you some idea.

Signatures on the chassis

Shock!

He told me to lay down and try to see the stuff under the car. It was hard to see at first, but the more I looked, the more I saw. I could only get some of them on the camera. A lift would be required to see everything.

The caretaker mentioned a bunch of signatures under the hood. I asked to see. He went to ask permission and… was denied.

So no under hood shots for me. Sorry guys. But, you know, that’s okay. I got such access to this history-making car that I can hardly begin to complain. To get to see all of this and share the pix on my blog. Privileged is a word that falls short.

The Mazda Staff Door

I was told that the driver’s side (RHD) door was reserved for Mazda staff. As the tour hit different cities and various Mazda workers were around the car, they were invited to sign this door.

This makes me feel even more lucky to have signed the adjacent fender.

Colum signing.

Colum is the content and marketing guru that made this all happen for me. He was a true pleasure to work with and spend time around. Getting to snap his signing really made me smile. Thanks again Colum!

Liam signing.

Liam is one of the pro drivers who was taking the regular folks for rides around the track. He’s a former Marine Staff Sargent who lost a leg to an IED in Afghanistan. To say he’s an inspiration is putting it lightly. I wish I could have spent more time around him.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (09-27-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (09-27-2016),NCGreasemonkey (09-27-2016),RotorNutFD3S (09-28-2016)

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    revplaque!

The event was capped off with a commemorative dash plaque. Mine, of course, says “revlimiter” in the correct all lowercase.

I’ll be honest, getting one of these little plaques has been huge in my mind. This has been nearly the equal to signing the car. I saw photo after photo of various internet friends signing the car and getting one of these plaques.

Jealous is a word that doesn’t begin to hit at my emotions.

I wanted one. Having it in my hand was pure joy.

But it got better.

My revlimiter plaque...

... and my Sharka plaque!

Attending this event was my buddy Chad, aka Greasemonkey2000. I’ve known him for a few years through the forums. He’s an amazing supporter of my store and products, but he’s also a good friend. We’ve swapped emails and phone calls. Getting to meet him was wonderful. He’ll be the subject of another blog post soon.

But I’m getting off track. I was talking about plaques.

They were letting each person get just one plaque. I had it in my mind to wait until no one else was around (a strategy that got me 90% of the pix in this blog post) and asking for a second one that said “Sharka”. It was a pretty lightly-attended event. I thought my chances were good at pulling it off.

Before I could do anything about it, Chad walked up with this Sharka badge. He asked for an extra for me. The folks in the tent were apparently all too happy to do it. Chad didn’t make me wait for mail or Christmas or anything. He gave it to me right there.

I hope the pure joy of this is coming across as you read this.

Thank you so much Chad. This little plaque is already a treasured belonging. It’ll find a place on Sharka after a bit of thought and planning.

Marked forever.

Thank you again Colum (editor dude) and Ben (video dude). You guys made me one insanely happy Miata superfan.

I really need to buy an ND now.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (09-27-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (09-27-2016),NCGreasemonkey (09-27-2016),RotorNutFD3S (09-28-2016)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Sharknado? Please?

No todo que es oro brilla.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    This is why I love this Forum. We can share across the board. We just want the Roadster knowledge.

Thank you Adam for your wares and your passion for our little cars.

Thank you Chad (GM2K) for showing the unselfish side to Adam. That is what will make America great again!
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NCGreasemonkey For This Useful Post:

Slampen (09-28-2016)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123