Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Some M2 goodness

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Love being able to read all this in one place! That garage never did come back did it...

This thing is spotless <3
    Yeah they killed, the garage - I lost some pics of the build that were there too, which really sucks.
    I do not know about spotless, but I try to take as much care of my miata as we all seem to.

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Besides adding some Mazda M2 parts, I have also done a few upgrades to the frame and suspension. I wanted to enhance the ride quality without destroying the cars nimbleness for daily use.
    I have added several braces to my roadster: FM frame rails (no BF brace) were installed first, which made some of the biggest improvement IMHO. I recommend them to anyone who wants their miata to just feel ‘tighter’.
    Next was a Beatrush PPF brace. I cut up the rear factory brace that came on the 94-97’s, removing the center section so I could incorporate the two longer side pieces with the PPF brace. I have not experienced any of the additional noise that I have heard others associate with this brace after it was installed. Along with the PPF brace, I added a Carbing front brace, which joins the front sub frame and the transmission. It is intended to reduce the shake of the shifter and transmission. (Please note that some of the pics are from the net as I cannot get nice pictures with the car up on jack stands).
    Currently I have a polished Hard Dog Hard Bar, but I want to swap it out for a as of yet undetermined four point roll bar design. I would like to install something that will compliment my roadsters current M2 1028 styling route.
    Finally, the M2 strut bar and rear bulk head brace that I have acquired were finally added.

br ppf.jpgsides of rear brace.jpgcarbing bottom.jpg
    carbing 2.jpg

As far as suspensions upgrades - I have replaced the factory sway bars with Racing Beat front (tubular) and rear bars along with the RB end links and the RB heavy duty front sway bar brackets. I had originally installed 3-way adjustable Koni’s with the stock springs and enjoyed them for approximately 60,000 miles, but I wanted to replace them with something different. After some research, I went with a set of Öhlins PCV coilovers that I picked up through DDMWorks. I also installed a pair of 1993 LE out tie rod ends to correct any bump steer issues. The Öhlins ride quality and adjustability is just incredible.

000_0950.jpg

Overall, I am quite pleased with what I have achieved in improved handling and ride quality without comprising the cars original handling characteristics.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    I need me some Öhlins

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by etikoner View Post
    I need me some Öhlins
    So get'em.

A lot of car owners want go fast performance mods/add ons.
    I lik'em too, but I am more concernerd about having excellent handling and keeping the car planted on the road.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! oldcafe's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    mhh pedro, you need a pre '93 dashboard
    Spaghetti Garage Italian Taste

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcafe View Post
    mhh pedro, you need a pre '93 dashboard
    I have one sitting in storage for now.

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Looking for M2 parts is, and is not an easy task. Japanese car enthusiasts still hold the Mazda M2 models in very high regard, and prices for some parts remain quite high - even almost 20 years later. I was able to find some stuff here and there, but I wanted a M2 1028 trunk lid with the built in spoiler. To me, it is the Holy Grail of all the M2 1028 parts and the one which I could not attain; it was never within my reach, as I lost out on it on several occasions. So I decided to purchase a Murakami Motors 1028 FRP trunk lid through Metro Motor Sports (now out of business). It is an excellent quality repro alternative to the real thing – only it has the third brake light delete. The under lid detail is amazing and it weighs maybe 8 lbs.

MML rear.jpgMML rr.jpgMM lid 02.jpg

I was only able to enjoy the Murakami repro piece for just a little bit more than six months.
    DHL made a delivery on Friday July 27, 2007 at about 2 pm. My wife still shakes her head at me for remembering this particular date, and at my overall reaction with the box’s arrival. I was throwing my hands in the air and cheering “Trunk Lid!” like someone cheering the Japanese “Banzai!” This was a pretty momentous day for me and my project. As this was something that I had wanted (Since I saw it in the ’94 miata summer magazine) but thought I would NEVER actually have. One of the best “I want” that I ever experienced, second only to my Family. Inside the box was an original M2 1028 trunk lid in perfect condition. It only needed a re-paint before being added. The original 1028 trunk aluminum lid weighs in at 3.5 kg or 7.7 lb. After paint, I added a LED third brake light and quickly installed it. The M2 quality and fitment is perfectly spot on. When ever people notice it, they want to know if it is a factory trunk or a modified NB lid I put on. The subtle look that it adds is so choice:

1028 Lid 01.jpg1028 Lid 02.jpgPicture 054.jpgPicture 058.jpgds view.jpg

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power morr's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    The new lid looks great! Definitely a nice, subtle upgrade. I can kinda see why someone would think it's a modded NB trunklid, looks very similar.
    RoadsterLife<3

Drives
    Chaste White 96 NA
    Thanks Given
    I could never get my Murakami trunk lid to fit perfectly... it always bothers me. Guess my only solution is to find myself a authentic M2-1028 trunk lid =).

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Willywongka View Post
    I could never get my Murakami trunk lid to fit perfectly... it always bothers me. Guess my only solution is to find myself a authentic M2-1028 trunk lid =).
    The ONLY prob I had with mine was the 'gap' was larger on the passenger's side quarter than the other side. If I stared at it, it would annoy me, but I learned to live with it.

Drives
    Chaste White 96 NA
    Thanks Given
    Yes.... that is exactly what I have a problem with right now. Since its FRP its harder to hold its shape when you put on the metal bars that hold the trunk lid up. I have learned to live with it as well.

Happy a genuine M2 trunk lid is in the right hands =).

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Yes.... that is exactly what I have a problem with right now. Since its FRP its harder to hold its shape when you put on the metal bars that hold the trunk lid up. I have learned to live with it as well.
    Ahhh. Try this: ONLY install a single torsion bar for the lid to raise. I only installed the one to the left (when facing trunk). It is a lot less tension on the FRP lid - aka will not cause it to bow. AND it will not flip up fast to possibly pop you in the chin.

[QUOTE=Happy a genuine M2 trunk lid is in the right hands =) [/QUOTE]
    Thanks! It like a third child to me LOL.

Drives
    Chaste White 96 NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by vote4pedro View Post
    Ahhh. Try this: ONLY install a single torsion bar for the lid to raise. I only installed the one to the left (when facing trunk). It is a lot less tension on the FRP lid - aka will not cause it to bow. AND it will not flip up fast to possibly pop you in the chin.
    Actually I only have one installed. Don't remember which side, pretty sure it was the left side. The passenger side of the trunk is up about 1/4 of an inch and there isn't any adjustment I can do from inside the cabin to alleviate that gap =/. Thanks for the tip btw =), if you have anymore please share.

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Actually I only have one installed. Don't remember which side, pretty sure it was the left side. The passenger side of the trunk is up about 1/4 of an inch and there isn't any adjustment I can do from inside the cabin to alleviate that gap =/. Thanks for the tip btw =), if you have anymore please share.
    I had considered taking off the lid and dremeling the 4 holes on the trunk hinges to add some lid adjustment to try fill in the passenger side quarter gap. It is something that I did not get around to attempting though.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    I love the M2 trunk. I'd like to have that, or the Murakami one some day.

Do you plan on changing up the wheels any time? Details on the ones you have ?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast