Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hurricane Matthew 2016

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Eunos 96 (Tom) and his wife are in Conway, SC, near Myrtle Beach. Should be a long night for them. Hope the surge isn't as bad as they are predicting.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    As if the wind velocity isn't bad enough, it's the tidal surge that can be deadly or more costly than people can afford to fix. Even a little flood damage to a structure super expensive.

I know everyone breathed a sigh of relief when Matthew was downgraded from Cat 4 but it's the surge that matters most right now, especially if it's high tide. And to not be so American-centric, remember this thing just passed through the Caribbean, killing over 850 in Haiti alone with number expected to exceed 1000 once a thorough assessment is made.

Could we lightly accept a thousand killed in Daytona Beach?

No todo que es oro brilla.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (10-08-2016),oldgrayleather (10-08-2016)

Thanks Given
    It's like the gift that keeps on giving but in a bad way. Hurricane Matthew is just a distant memory unless you're in North Carolina where it seems like the problems are just beginning. Thirty some deaths?! More flooding on its way? Just sad.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    Yes, the Neuse River seems to finally have crested in Kinston today. Give your thoughts out to Jamie and all in that area. Haven't heard any bad news from my relatives still living 'down-east' yet. A lot was learned when Floyd came thru back in 1999 (?) with the 'hundred-year' flooding.
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NCGreasemonkey For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-14-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Oh, I'm totally fine, health and property-wise. Because of my home's particular location, on the highest lot/s of the neighborhood, there's no risk of flooding. Can't say the same about my next door neighbor who is on one of the lowest, if not THE lowest, lots. Currently have some of his vehicles stored in my yard.

Now, both ends of my road are flooded, so I'm chilling at home til the waters recede. Not that big an issue, have power, food, and water. And thankfully I was only without power for exactly 2 days immediately following the hurricane. The flooding from the Neuse has been far worse for Kinston, as it usually is after a nasty hurricane rolls through.

Here's a few pics from today.

Ends of my road:

Closest the water has gotten to my home:

And with the river finally cresting tonight/tomorrow morning, we're going to be just fine.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (10-14-2016)

Thanks Given
    I feel you. Actually, I feel a little guilty about being relieved the hurricane was on the east coast because some years ago, Hurricane Charlie was supposed to creep north and then hit Tampa which wasn't so bad for me since that's Phat's area but instead, it turned hard right and destroyed most of my house.

If you weren't on top of the fly-by-night contractors, they'd have used Elmers glue to save on nails during rebuilding here.

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieH View Post
    Oh, I'm totally fine, health and property-wise. Because of my home's particular location, on the highest lot/s of the neighborhood, there's no risk of flooding. Can't say the same about my next door neighbor who is on one of the lowest, if not THE lowest, lots. Currently have some of his vehicles stored in my yard.

Now, both ends of my road are flooded, so I'm chilling at home til the waters recede. Not that big an issue, have power, food, and water. And thankfully I was only without power for exactly 2 days immediately following the hurricane. The flooding from the Neuse has been far worse for Kinston, as it usually is after a nasty hurricane rolls through.

Here's a few pics from today.

Ends of my road:

Closest the water has gotten to my home:

And with the river finally cresting tonight/tomorrow morning, we're going to be just fine.
    Whew, so glad you're okay and very sorry for your neighbors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12