Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KL Powered V6 Miata

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! turbotyla's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Yup. The plans are to keep the intake but rotate it 180 I have a custom spacer being machined.

And for it to retain the obd2 and still pass emissions.

I may have to cut the Hood though but I guess we will see when I get there.

As I said I'll start a build thread soon. And update it. Just have to have the time

THAT'S AWESOME, CHEN FooSchnickens's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
    Necessary to supply air to the ITB setup that WAS on that car. (I now own that very setup.)

I believe the car was running an Autronic EMS. It wasn't a street car, dedicated SSM car, the gauges don't matter much.

180whp isn't bad for a motor that originally made 164 crank. The only changes to the motor were exhaust, ITBs, and some ZE pistons. Ended up making in the 190s. That's a HUGE gain when you think about it, especially considering the car was even running stock cams. HUGE gains to be had there.

I'm looking for 250-260whp out of mine on STOCK bottom end with this same ITB setup if that tells you anything.

KLs are nasty motors... the engineering behind them is incredible. They really shine under boost, and i think there's huge N/A potential there, just no real support. Stay tuned, i guess.
    So how do you plan to deal with the oiling issues that arose in the first iteration of this swap? IIRC that's why he ended up shelving this project.
    f00tography
    Chean Chay: they dont have pho in mexico
    In our minds. In our reality. In our world we are QUEEN DUCHESS TEAPOT HABERDASHERY!! RULER OF ALL!! PARTY OF ONE!!!
    http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...9616511700.png

Thanks Given
    I don't think I will have oiling issues.

I have herd that if you plan to review them really high and push over 500 hp out of them then they have oiling problems.

But just turning the engine shouldn't be an issue. I am making my own pickup and oil pan. I also will be running a oil filter relocation kit.

So there will be no lack of oil. Also my motor will stay stock until I run low boost and when I get into the f/I I will build another block.

But there are some modifications that people are having done to the oil ports to allow for better oiling at higher stress levels.

THAT'S AWESOME, CHEN FooSchnickens's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    I see. Didn't know how "ambitious" your goals were going to be.
    f00tography
    Chean Chay: they dont have pho in mexico
    In our minds. In our reality. In our world we are QUEEN DUCHESS TEAPOT HABERDASHERY!! RULER OF ALL!! PARTY OF ONE!!!
    http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...9616511700.png

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone concealer404's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Mazda MXSex GT Tarbo - faster than what you've got.
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by FooSchnickens View Post
    So how do you plan to deal with the oiling issues that arose in the first iteration of this swap? IIRC that's why he ended up shelving this project.
    It wasn't oiling issues, it was weight. The KL turned out to be heavier than the BP, and the minimum weight in the class is lower for a BP due to lower displacement vs. the KL.

And he was having a hard time making the power he wanted n/a. And if boosting, may as well just go BP for autox use.

He probably did mention oiling issues at some point, though. I remember he was asking around almost a year ago about spinning a KL to 9000rpms, and yes, at that point, oiling issues do pop up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.

Thanks Given
    Does any one have full weight of both engines.

I will get the weight of the v6 as a long block and dressed.

I don't imagine that there is a huge difference . I guess I will see when I pull mine.

Also you do gain some advantage being that the engine is further back just a little.

Plus after I get emissions out of the way I plan on dropping the v6 intake for something lighter and smaller. So I'm sure I wont gain much if any at all.

I will be dropping the power steering and notching my subframe. So I'm going to try and keep it around stock. I guess I should weigh my whole car before and after. Being that my car will stay a street car.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by turbotyla View Post
    Does any one have full weight of both engines.

I will get the weight of the v6 as a long block and dressed.

I don't imagine that there is a huge difference . I guess I will see when I pull mine.

Also you do gain some advantage being that the engine is further back just a little.

Plus after I get emissions out of the way I plan on dropping the v6 intake for something lighter and smaller. So I'm sure I wont gain much if any at all.

I will be dropping the power steering and notching my subframe. So I'm going to try and keep it around stock. I guess I should weigh my whole car before and after. Being that my car will stay a street car.
    CodingParadox came up with about 105lbs heavier for the KL shortblock than the BP.
    One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.

Thanks Given
    That's not too bad.

Thanks Given
    update.

here is link with pictures i dont want to repost them all. http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...434146&page=10

here is a few though. i had spacers milled to adapt the intake to face foward.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    a black 95 Miata
    Thanks Given
    random

Thanks Given
    well this thread is dead but i guess ill just throw this in here. its not done but its getting there. hopefully in the next couple months ill have some videos of the amazing exhaust note.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Or why build one, when you can buy one...

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=457263
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Yep that's the car that was in the very first post. Everyone will be glad to see that the nasty hood is gone.

Thanks Given
    Building it is half of the fun. I would rather build then buy.

Plus mine is an nb.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by turbotyla View Post
    Building it is half of the fun. I would rather build then buy.

If you have the place and the know how, neither of which I have...
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast