Thread: FWD, 1680 lbs, 75 HP, 1.3L Mazda Engine

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given

FWD, 1680 lbs, 75 HP, 1.3L Mazda Engine

That's right, I am talking about a Ford Festiva. This is no ordinary version of the car's dinky stock form. This is a full blown track car minus a few things that I'll be installing later, cage, MS, etc.

Recently purchased for $650, clean title, PO owned for 13 years during which he heavily modified the car. The car ain't pretty, nor is it fast, but my god.. never have I experienced a FWD car that could handle so amazingly. I almost want to say that the suspension on this is more dialed than my own street/track NA! At Driveway Austin, where the PO nearly became an instructor, the car holds times just 1-2 sec slower than the fastest Spec Miata times. Impressive! Can't wait to get it out on an autox course!

The car also holds some history, it was selected as the Hot Hatch of the month in Street Tuner magazine at one point. I hope to restore its legacy, and bring it into a new limelight. My ultimate goal is to swap in a 1.8 BP and run a DIY megasquirt module. If I can get to 140HP, I will be a very happy man.

One thing that is neat is that the Festiva community shares some of the same quirkiness found in the Miata community, also mixed in with the same aptitude for troubleshooting. A very helpful community, they are much more familiar with engine swaps than us miata folk. Because face it, swapping ANYTHING in is going to be better than the 63 HP stock engine.

Okay, time for the goodies, the current mod list:
    1. Lightening - the car has been fully stripped down. No carpet. No plastic trim pieces, only the upper portion of dash remains, hood had support beams removed, there is a set of stripped doors, car has lexan windows all around.
    2. 13x6 Aero Wheels - wrapped in sumitomo 215/50/R13 with Some life left
    3. Completely custom suspension, machined top hats for camber adjustment in front, solid pillowball mount in rear, aftermarket dampers for a mitsu lancer, sleeves and springs from a miata, and more that I am not yet aware of. It handles!
    4. Intake/exhaust work, oil catch can, entire rerouting of wiring harness and removal of unused wires. Not tucked. Complete gauge and switch set up. Stickers everywhere! :~P
    5. Bucket seat and harness for driver, NA seat for passenger
    6. Fender flares from NA
    7. Strut tower braces front and rear.
    8. Side skirts and front bumper from ford focus/fiesta with brake coolers routed

Will be updating with progress and pics. So far I have replaced the battery and starter. Inspection and registration to follow. Should be street legal soon.

AFM looks awfully familiar!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atx For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-29-2016),Demon I Am (10-28-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (10-28-2016),NCGreasemonkey (10-28-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    That's a dirty beast!

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    I like quirky and unique! Look forward to your progress!
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    the 1.6 b6ze is a punched out, dohc version of that same engine in there.

Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    1.6t swaps are very very popular for these cars. I am an all N/A guy myself, throttle response is very important to me as I am still learning, and it offers some handling advantages. In time, I will be ready for FI. Not before I work out cooling and reliability. Very excited to have adopted such a well loved car, born just a year before I was.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Is this Loren's car??

Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    No, this is Smith

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given

FWD, 1680 lbs, 75 HP, 1.3L Mazda Engine

I remember these cars running in ITC (SCCA) in the 90s and surprising a lot of people.

I thought I remember some swapping in a KL V6 from the Probe GT/MX6.

Idling - Listen to it purr... Loren's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    Is this Loren's car??
    Nah, man. Mine looks like this.

29573576154_f214e66000_c.jpg

Same general concept. We bought it with the notion of doing a 1.6 or 1.8 swap, but once we started autocrossing it, we found that it's an awful lot of fun to be able to say "yeah, that's the stock 1.3 liter engine, you just got beat by 63 hp". So, we're resisting the engine swap. We did just convert it to Megasquirt and remove the MAF... that greatly improved throttle response and "perceived" power. (plus it now revs to 6800 instead of petering out at 6000) Otherwise, it's running a full Aspire suspension/brake swap, custom spring rates, cheap shocks, rigid rear beam axle, and has 15x7's with 225/45's under the ugly box flares. The car is way more fun than it has any right to be! Not fast, just nimble and grippy as hell. Not unlike a 1.6 Miata... except that people roll their eyes when they see it.

You can read more than you ever wanted to know about our FASTiva project here: FASTiva Project Thread

Not threadjacking, though. I approve of this project!
    Last edited by Loren; 10-28-2016 at 10:44 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

atx (01-04-2017),John J (10-29-2016),Phatmiata (10-29-2016)

Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    Wow! Loren I just bought a MS3X for the festy last night! Cool if I get a base tune from ya?

I will too be switching to a larger diameter wheel. Are on FF.com?

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Thanks Given
    I wanted one of these for ages. A guy at work had an immaculate one with 12" alloys and all. I tried to buy it many times and he just would not sell it. He ended up donating it to his church! Good for them, but I was grouchy when I found out
    Just another cracka azz cracka with an Old Beat up '97

Idling - Listen to it purr... Loren's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by atx View Post
    Wow! Loren I just bought a MS3X for the festy last night! Cool if I get a base tune from ya?

I will too be switching to a larger diameter wheel. Are on FF.com?
    I don't have time to keep up with big forums, I'm only active on a couple local ones. The wheels are just a set we had around from a Miata (the Aspire suspension gave us 4x100), had to do a bunch of work to get tire clearance, but we have good selection of cheap tires with the 15's now. Stock 14" Miata wheels with 185's were the best we could do before the fender flares. PM or email me and I can send you the base tune.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

atx (10-29-2016)

Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    Fitted my spare miata wheels, well.. not OE

20161230_125812.jpg
    20161230_125816.jpg
    Last edited by atx; 01-04-2017 at 06:07 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to atx For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (01-04-2017)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I don't know the specifics, but I found this Mazdaspeed ECU for the 1.5l engines. I looked up the p/n. It was on Facebook marketplace near me.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1903986853678/

Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    I have MS3 ready to go in, but the ultimate goal is a B6T.

After having driven this a good bit, I must say that I am thoroughly impressed! Especially in the twisties! The car is very neutral biased with a slight tendency of oversteer. The solid pillow ball rear shock mounts probably contribute to that. Of course, driving FWD is an entirely different beast, and corrections mid turn are counter intuitive at best, but this thing grips and handles just like the miata.