Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pyro's Daily - La'shonda

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Pyr0monk3y's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Welp... I'm having bad luck lately.

Got rear ended at about 15mph. It bent the impact bar and pushed the trunk in about 5 inches. I happened to know the person that hit me, since I know where they live we elected not to file a report. This is my first on road accident. I've hit a couple tire walls on track, but this is my first time getting hit without a HANS or harnesses. It was a lot worse than I would have thought. My neck was a little sore the next day, but it's fine now.

After Chumpcar racing for three years, I'm a bit of a ninja at bodywork. I had it pulled out and tacked up in two hours. A new impact bar is on the way, $35 on amazon! The rear bumper cover popped back into shape after a few hours in the sun.

I hit this milestone yesterday:

I'll post before and after pics once I get the new impact bar and get it all back together. You'll barely be able to tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    What the hell are you thinking Andy?
    1991 Track Rat
    Build Thread:
    Function>Everything

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pyr0monk3y For This Useful Post:

HarryB (04-07-2017),JamieH (04-06-2017),kung fu jesus (04-07-2017),tsingson (04-06-2017)

Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Life got a little busy. I moved halfway across the country, to this place:

Waterloo, Iowa. This is a prairie preserve in front of John Deere's Product Engineering Center.

In this picture you can see the outcome of the collision repair. You can barely tell it happened.

I'm really loving this car. I packed all of my essentials in it and drove 1100 miles in 17 hours. I flipped my sleep schedule to nocturnal and left Raleigh at 8:30pm on a Saturday night, I had to arrive between 1pm and 2pm the next day to move into my apartment. I didn't want to stop at a hotel with my valuables in the car so I just drove straight there. I arrived at 12:30pm the next day, almost perfect timing, I should do a rally!

The car did great, averaging 48 mpg for the trip. I was pushing for 50mpg, but I think passing through the mountains killed those chances. I had to downshift a lot and spent hardly any time in lean burn. Not too bad considering the amount of weight the car was carrying.

I'll be here for a few months, with no Miata . I have only seen one in the three weeks I've been here. A small population of Miatas here is probably for the best considering the rust issues. There are NO sports cars here. Drag racing and dirt circle track racing is all there is. Hopefully I can be a disciple of the curvy roads.
    1991 Track Rat
    Build Thread:
    Function>Everything

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pyr0monk3y For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (06-06-2017),Demon I Am (06-06-2017),MiataQuest (06-07-2017),tsingson (06-06-2017)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Night Kids will be awaiting your return.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

Pyr0monk3y (06-09-2017)

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,353 Posts
    You'll head back home before winter, right? Winter in Iowa can be interesting.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyr0monk3y View Post
    A small population of Miatas here is probably for the best considering the rust issues. There are NO sports cars here. Drag racing and dirt circle track racing is all there is. Hopefully I can be a disciple of the curvy roads.
    Drag racing and circle track are popular BECAUSE there aren't any curvy roads there. ;)

Good luck! Hope you enjoy your internship!

Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Drag racing and circle track are popular BECAUSE there aren't any curvy roads there. ;)

Good luck! Hope you enjoy your internship!
    I've actually found some decent ones in the Cedar Valley area. It's not as hilly as Raleigh, but it's not flat. The dirt roads here are amazing. Dirt roads in NC tend to get muddy and bumpy really quick, I think it's something to do with the clay, but here the dirt is pretty smooth.
    I've done a bit of front wheel drive rally practice
    1991 Track Rat
    Build Thread:
    Function>Everything

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pyr0monk3y For This Useful Post:

JamieH (06-12-2017),tsingson (06-09-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12