Thread: I went to Barrett Jackson today. No Miata's there, but there was one on I-10 east !

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts

I went to Barrett Jackson today. No Miata's there, but there was one on I-10 east !

There was predictions that the Miata NA was an up and coming collector car.
    With Miata's a common sight on BaT now I thought I would see a few.

Actually I like it that way.
    I like that they are affordable and we have no regrets enjoying and modifying them.
    Last edited by MiataQuest; 01-23-2017 at 08:31 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MiataQuest For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (01-22-2017),NCGreasemonkey (01-23-2017),TNRooster3 (03-10-2018)

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Collectible ones will be the ones you see on BAT: low miles, stock, untouched and unloved. If you've had one stashed in the garage that you've spent thousands maintaining across the last 25 years, then you may be able to recoup a portion of your mistake in money. The rest of us will have the equivalent of $5k 1st gen mustangs, because they're modded. It's not like the miata is gonna reach Porsche prices.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fwdtamiya For This Useful Post:

The Driver (01-28-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    I think the value of the NA Miata is going up, but it'll be another 25 years before it's an actual collector car.

None of them are worth what they sold for when new, so none of them have appreciated in monetary value. Especially if you adjust for inflation.

It won't stop people from using collector car buzzwords and phrases when selling them. Some people have gone as far as to compare them to Ferraris thinking they'll be Pebblebeach candidates. Even if the car has a salvage title and a non-original engine.

Don't get me wrong, untouched, pristine stock cars are absolutely beautiful. But utterly forgetable. It's the cars with history, the cars with stories that are memorable. Those cars with names most of us know. Some have had unfortunate fates, like the Blue Potato. And some, as far as anyone knows, will continue to be shinning examples of Mazda's slogan for the Miata, jinba ittai. Such as Sharka.

That's what I place value on. The cars that have been well driven and well loved. The cars that have gained their own personal character.

Sure, cars are only original once, but not all cars are originals.

Ah... I apologize for getting sort of philosophical there a bit.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

Cermivelli (01-23-2017),fwdtamiya (01-23-2017),lowandrusty (01-24-2017),NCGreasemonkey (01-23-2017),oldgrayleather (01-23-2017),TNRooster3 (03-10-2018)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    ^^ well said Jamie! Having been concerned my car was going to be written off I spent some time looking for another low mileage stock example that I could turn into what I wanted but there weren't many out there. When they do come up, prices seem pretty steady with the odd person believing their 12k miler is worth $20k..

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Ctsquid's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 BRG SE
    Thanks Given
    I have no qualms about modifying my car. I' mich rather the car be a display of my taste in cars, and be something that I enjoy driving and making memories in. Preserving a car for resale value in 30 years just doesn't make any sense to me. That being said, I still appreciate an immaculate stock Miata. It's easy for someone to drive hard and neglect the upkeep on such an inexpensive sports car, and it happens far to often.

I'm excited that Barrett Jackson has come to the northeast and is just 25 minutes from my house. I definitely want to check it out this year. Did you see anything that really impressed you?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ctsquid For This Useful Post:

Paul B (01-25-2017)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctsquid View Post

I'm excited that Barrett Jackson has come to the northeast and is just 25 minutes from my house. I definitely want to check it out this year. Did you see anything that really impressed you?
    When I arrived at Barrett Jackson I watched the auction for maybe 20 minutes. Then I spent the next 4 hours looking at every vehicle.
    Wow, there were so many to look at. There was everything. Originals, exotic, modified, you name it.
    I think Barrett Jackson did a good job weeding out most of the stinkers to maintain their brand and pricing.

I enjoy looking at original and restored cars from an old Bentley to a Mercury Turnpike cruiser.
    I just admire all the styling cues, tooling, and craftsmanship. This even though I would never own a trailer queen.

Then even more I love the performance and modified cars. I like to see the direction the owner or manufacturer took the car and the final result. It may not be to my taste, but I can appreciate the thought and workmanship. And of course then there is the OMG moment when the mods are done so well that you feel that "I am not worthy" moment and hold the builder in high esteem.

I hope to make it to MiataPalooza. I will enjoy seeing every owners interpretation of his/her Miata. It doesn't matter if it's an original, slammed, track, modded, and other themed build. If it is truly functional towards their goal, then even more admiration for the owner.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiataQuest For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (01-23-2017),TNRooster3 (03-10-2018)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Just because something is collectible, means it is valuable. Lot's of people collect all kinds of non valuable things. NA (or NB) Miatas fall in the collectible, but not valuable category.
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Airbrush1's Avatar
    Drives
    04 mazdaspeed
    Thanks Given
    This past week I tried to purchase a 91 with 43k from the local Mazda dealer, was even going to trade in my e63. I told them I wanted NADA rough trade for my car (reasonable), and that I'd cut a check for the difference with the Mazda priced at $7k before tax tags and title... they wouldn't budge on the Mazda price @8500 (which they told me was a steal lol) I know they only paid $5500 for the Miata as a trade in for a new miata. It was a bit frustrating, but I guess they are banking on someone willing to cut a check for the Mazda outright in the middle of winter

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Airbrush1 For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (01-29-2017)

Drives
    04 mazdaspeed
    Thanks Given
    Basically, prices are all over the place, and lots of people are jumping all over the first gen cars as collectors items in their minds despite the real numbers being 10-15 years away

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Airbrush1 For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (01-29-2017)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbrush1 View Post
    This past week I tried to purchase a 91 with 43k from the local Mazda dealer, was even going to trade in my e63. I told them I wanted NADA rough trade for my car (reasonable), and that I'd cut a check for the difference with the Mazda priced at $7k before tax tags and title... they wouldn't budge on the Mazda price @8500 (which they told me was a steal lol) I know they only paid $5500 for the Miata as a trade in for a new miata. It was a bit frustrating, but I guess they are banking on someone willing to cut a check for the Mazda outright in the middle of winter
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbrush1 View Post
    Basically, prices are all over the place, and lots of people are jumping all over the first gen cars as collectors items in their minds despite the real numbers being 10-15 years away
    I know people here in CO that would pay $8K for such an NA.
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to The Driver For This Useful Post:

Airbrush1 (01-29-2017)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Rock Star's Avatar
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    In Las Vegas 2016, Barrett Jackson had a 1997 Mazda Miata NA, M edition that had less than 150 miles on it. It sold for around $25,000. Back in 1997, that was the MSRP price. Here is the description:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Event...-MIATA--197116
    Axl Rose:

Take me down to the paradise city
    Where the grass is green and the women are pretty
    Take me home (oh won't you please take me home)
    Take me down to the paradise city
    Where the grass is green and the women are pretty
    Take me home (oh won't you please take me home)

Drives
    04 mazdaspeed
    Thanks Given
    So would I, but seeing as how I already have a low mileage 04 msm, I don't NEED one... it was all a numbers game for me. I can direct you to the dealership if you know anyone who really wants it

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    I need Miati ( still sticking with that as the plural ) to not go 'Classic' pricing until 35 yrs. like American Classics. Reason is I want another NA with 'Cobraster' ( M2-1006 ) looks but is the non-track/ auto-x car.

Have two owner's with bids in local. If they ever want to sell. Both are red '93s for some reason.
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Emerald green 02 LS
    Thanks Given
    As a very recent first time buyer of a 02 LS may I say I dont think they will ever fetch big money, theres just too many of them! Now if they had only made a production run of 9 years like the S2000 they might get the 24-30k those cars bring. After driving my little Roadster I can safely say.."I get it" that should have been my plate tag! Every Miata owner who saw that would smile and say the same thing.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to V12 For This Useful Post:

TNRooster3 (03-10-2018)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    If you watch the pricing, the NAs that are low-mileage, well-kept are going up in value. There are fewer of them every day. I think 35 years is about where you may see those rarer versions start coming across, but I think they will take an arc like the Datsun Z cars.