Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shelby aka the 2003 Ford Mustang's journey from GT to GT350

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    You have the same thoughts as I did. Eleanor. That is one nice Pony!

I know you have your own ideas, and with the hindsight of your other build, you will rock this!

You have me wanting more! Rock this Chad-style fellow nut!

Peace!
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    02-02-17: Given Shelby is aimed at moving towards a "GT350" tribute build, I figured a good start that would be cheap as well would be removing all the exterior "GT" and 'running horse' badges as well as remove a few of the 'add ons' that a previous owner added.

Lets start at the front with the 'running horse' emblem in the grille....

...that was removed and replaced with something more in line with the long term vision of Shelby....

....in addition the "MUSTANG GT" license plate frame came off as well.

Now on to the side where the oem "GT" badges and the aftermarket "4.6L V8" vinyl on the hood scoop was present....

...but are no more.

Unfortunately I was mistaken in my assumption that the side badges were simply applied with only double sided adhesive tape...so I may have to move up the schedule on the fender badges that will be replacing the oem "GT" badges.

Going around to the rear I thought I would be wise to check to see if any of the rear badges had alignment pins of any sort that would leave unsightly holes.

As it turns out the "Ford" emblem does indeed have alignment pins so it will be staying on for now but the rear "GT" badge was simply held on with double sided tape and looks like a previous owner decided that imprinted "MUSTANG" script on the rear bumper wasn't enough to let those behind him to see what he was driving so he added black vinyl inserts for the "MUSTANG" script and a "MUSTANG GT" license plate frame...

...nothing that about 30 minutes, a hair dryer, Goo Gone and rubbing alcohol couldn't take care of....

....much better. My apologies for the second picture not being as well focused, I really need to double check them better.

So this is just one step in the right direction for Shelby to go from being a GT to a GT350 build. In the long run I want to remove every "Mustang" script and running horse that I can which the only ones that might remain would possibly be the passenger side airbag with the "Mustang" script and the two running horses on the front windshield, which I can live with. Will have a few more little updates in the next few days!
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 02-02-2017 at 05:50 PM.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

freedomgli (02-24-2017),HarryB (02-02-2017),NCGreasemonkey (02-02-2017),RustRat (02-03-2017),tsingson (02-04-2017)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Looking great, man. Love the Super Snake. Love this project. How does that V8 feel?

No todo que es oro brilla.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (02-03-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    @AgentOrange: Thanks...AO. You know i just realized I have been a member here for over three years and don't know your name, maybe that is how you prefer but I like names...I'm weird like that. I really missed the sound and power of a v8, loving it! I absolutely love the sound of Flowmaster's, that chambered muffler sound is unmistakable, but really think a SLP Loudmouth will replace it...will be a while though. Really glad you are enjoying the build!
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    @AgentOrange: Thanks...AO. You know i just realized I have been a member here for over three years and don't know your name, maybe that is how you prefer but I like names...I'm weird like that. I really missed the sound and power of a v8, loving it! I absolutely love the sound of Flowmaster's, that chambered muffler sound is unmistakable, but really think a SLP Loudmouth will replace it...will be a while though. Really glad you are enjoying the build!
    And he's not one to post in the "Face to the Siggy" thread. But he comments.

Like the progress Chad! Just get that tuned then find an NA and swap. J/K!

Peace nut!
    ... Rick

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone RustRat's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given
    Much cleaner. I like it that way. Don't add anything in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RustRat For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (02-03-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    02-03-17: Got a few things accomplished today on Shelby...unfortunately it was not all success but more on that later. So the aftermarket gauges have not been back lit since they were installed, according to the previous owner that installed them, and the tachometer would stick because the gauges were simply overlay's and cheap ones at that...I guess.

Obviously neither are really big deals since they don't really affect how the car drives but not being able to see your gauges at night and not having a functional tachometer with a manual transmission is a inconvenience in the least.

I wanted the same gauges that I had in the '01 Bullitt I had previously since they had a nice retro look to them but couldn't find a set but then I remembered the 03-04 Mach 1 used the same gauges. I quick eBay search later and I found a clean cluster.

I did some research to see what would have to be done to have the correct mileage, etc. Thankfully it was as simple as swapping the electronic boards from mine to the Mach 1 cluster and that would retain the mileage and correct fuel level and not cause any other issues with the PATS system...I can't recall what that is but in part I think it is part of the anti theft system.

The regular Mustang's have green back lighting on the gauges but the Mach 1/Bullitt gauges are white so while that is perfectly acceptable I thought I would take the opportunity to change the lighting color...to red of course. I also checked to see what it would take to get the HVAC back lighting changed and found that you could just sand off the green tint on the back of the panel.

So I ordered #74 red LED bulbs(7 total, 5 for the cluster and 2 extra/in case the hvac used the same) and two #194 red LED bulbs for the HVAC from superbrightleds.com. I also ordered three 44mm(iirc) natural white LED bulbs for the dome/map light.

I also ordered a set of chrome gauge bezel trim rings to spruce up the gauges, only after searching high and low for satin/brushed ones. I received all the parts over the past few days.

Started off by replacing the dome/map lights today. Obviously straight forward but the electrical connector that hooks up to the dome/map light is REALLY short and hard to unsnap because of how short it is. Here is a comparison of the bulbs in question and definitely leaves not question which has better light output...

This is what the oem incandescent bulbs looked like(just the primary one that comes on with the door)....

...and this is what it looks like with just the main dome light on with the natural white LED bulb(x8 leds per bulb)...

...so much better in my opinion! I took comparison pics with the auxiliary map lights on but you really couldn't see the difference in the pics.

Next up were the gauges and hvac panel, both are easy to remove and that information is just a Google search away. I will however mention that you are suppose to remove the negative battery cable before removing the gauge cluster because it can cause a no start issue but if it does you just unhook the negative battery cable for like 5 minutes and it should take care of it, according to my internet browsing on the subject.

When removing the gauges I quickly realized why there were not back lite. They were reverse glow gauges and one of the connections had come loose! What garbage!! Oh well.

I previously mentioned the chrome gauge bezel trim rings...unfortunately I had issues with them and got them all installed on the new cluster cover, it had silver surround instead of black, but the last one...it just wouldn't snap in like it was supposed to.

So I deiced to super glue it...well that didn't work. Then I decided to use some plastic weld but accidentally got some on the chrome bezel and then the clear cover...thus ruining them. I was rather upset to say the least. I will probably pick up another set of gauge trim rings later and try again.

Here are some comparison pics of the said aftermarket gauges, note just the needles are lit but in the pics looks like more than it is....

....the oem hvac panel...

...and both....

...and here are the gauges after swapping the electrical board to the Mach 1 gauges and installing the red leds...

...with the car lights on and the garage lights off...

...the hvac with the green filters removed and red leds installed...

...and both of the previously mentioned...

...this is with the dimmer on full bright. Although the dimmer doesn't seem to change the brightness as much with the leds but I presume this is because it simply works of resistance...not really sure...either way I am very happy with the results and Shelby started right up with no issue!

I also checked to see what would have to be done to change the rear defroster, traction control and fog light switch lighting and they just have green bulbs(led?) with the wire coming directly from the bulb to the contacts...so just have to get the right size bulb. Of course the oem radio will get replaced in time with a unit with either red lighting or one that has multiple lighting colors.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (02-04-2017),HarryB (02-04-2017),NCGreasemonkey (02-04-2017),tsingson (02-04-2017)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Looks great Chad!

Was prepping Noir for her dash with stereo lighting that would match today. And get her out of the '90's.

Work it fellow nut!
    ... Rick

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts
    So you are building Shelby to be the opposite of a sleeper? That could be a tough road ahead if your car writes a check it can't cash.

I did a poser "tongue in cheek" with my 1984 Audi 5000S Avant.
    In 1984 the "S" model was the lowest performance model you could get. Later Audi changed S-versions to be the high performance version.

So I highlighted the "S" with 3M reflector tape and installed full width tail-lights.
    Real Audi guys laugh!
    Non-Audi guys say "Wow, it's the "S" model!
    Last edited by MiataQuest; 02-04-2017 at 10:59 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MiataQuest For This Useful Post:

freedomgli (02-24-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    @NCGreasemonkey: Thanks Rick!

@MiataQuest: Rene, not really sure how to respond to what sounds like an accusation of building 'domestic rice', as that is what I concluded from, "So you are building Shelby to be the opposite of a sleeper? That could be a tough road ahead if your car writes a check it can't cash."

Imo, if you build a car with worrying about what everyone thinks or if they approve then you have failed before even beginning at all. I know I certainly don't do so. Obviously everyone wants acceptance or approval from someone but the people that even matter don't care about such trivial matters.

I'm trying to build Shelby in such a way that if there had been a New Edge 'Shelby GT350' this what it might have been. Obviously some things may meet that goal and some may not.

I certainly see no reason as to why i need to worry about 'checks my car can't cash' as I don't plan on putting 'pen to paper' as it were at every stop light someone wants to prove....whatever it is they think they will prove by 'beating me'. I'm only 32 yrs old and have long realized how juvenile such things are. I do 'get on it' to listen to the exhaust or some tire action but try not to with too many spectators around. I enjoy driving not....'measuring contest'.

A few discreet, imo, badges and or vinyl doesn't scream 'look at me'...at least what I have planned and already listed, which obviously includes decent power gains along side suspension and cosmetic additions. There are plenty of tool drivers to take the spot light from Shelby and I will gladly let them have it.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 02-05-2017 at 12:26 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

tsingson (02-05-2017)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Alex here. No mystery intended. I just like to promote my bio-hazard screen names depending upon which color of car I have at the time. I love America, beer, Miatas, baseball and apple pie.

Well, actually baseball bores me and I prefer Taco Bell over apple pie, especially after beer but the point is while I love Miatas, I also love V8s. Luckily, there's room in this forum for everyone. As long as you're turning wrenches and having fun, I'm all for it.

No todo que es oro brilla.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (02-05-2017),NCGreasemonkey (02-05-2017),tsingson (02-05-2017)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts
    @NCGreasemonkey: Thanks Rick!

@MiataQuest: Rene, not really sure how to respond to what sounds like an accusation of building 'domestic rice', as that is what I concluded from, "So you are building Shelby to be the opposite of a sleeper? That could be a tough road ahead if your car writes a check it can't cash."

Imo, if you build a car with worrying about what everyone thinks or if they approve then you have failed before even beginning at all. I know I certainly don't do so. Obviously everyone wants acceptance or approval from someone but the people that even matter don't care about such trivial matters.

I'm trying to build Shelby in such a way that if there had been a New Edge 'Shelby GT350' this what it might have been. Obviously some things may meet that goal and some may not.

I certainly see no reason as to why i need to worry about 'checks my car can't cash' as I don't plan on putting 'pen to paper' as it were at every stop light someone wants to prove....whatever it is they think they will prove by 'beating me'. I'm only 32 yrs old and have long realized how juvenile such things are. I do 'get on it' to listen to the exhaust or some tire action but try not to with too many spectators around. I enjoy driving not....'measuring contest'.

A few discreet, imo, badges and or vinyl doesn't scream 'look at me'...at least what I have planned and already listed, which obviously includes decent power gains along side suspension and cosmetic additions. There are plenty of tool drivers to take the spot light from Shelby and I will gladly let them have it.
    You took it wrong.
    My Audi 5000 S is a car that can't cash the check and I am having fun with that.
    It is my car to take it the direction I wish and you are doing the same.
    I was just pointing out that some Mustang purist's or Shelby owners may not feel the same.

I admire all car enthusiasts that have a vision and run with it.
    So I am enjoying reading about your build and not criticizing it.
    I want to see where it goes. This, and being from Detroit I do love V8 pony cars.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiataQuest For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (02-05-2017),tsingson (02-05-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    @AgentOrange: Nice to make your acquaintance, Alex!

@MiataQuest: I see. Thanks for the clarification, Rene. I know it may sound silly but if some 'feathers weren't ruffled' by the build then, imo, I'm not doing it right. Some of the most beautiful and incredible cars are usually the most controversial and while Shelby may never be any where near cars like that, I certainly hope it is different.

Obviously modifying one of the most modified cars leaves a challenge to be unique while still being tasteful and true to ones vision. Hope Shelby and I are up to the challenge! Even if I'm not we will have a lot of fun along the way!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (02-05-2017)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Even if it follows the same lines as others, if it's what you want in your car, do it. It's all good as long as you like/love it.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (02-06-2017),HarryB (02-06-2017),NCGreasemonkey (02-05-2017),RustRat (02-06-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    @tsingson: I hear you Anthony and agree. Certainly not saying a 'tried and true recipe' is wrong because it certainly is not. Different has always been my philosophy but certainly not different just for the sake of being different but with a purpose and goal in mind. I kind of feel like I am beating a dead....well you know, just trying to explain 'where I'm coming from'.

In regards to Shelby i found out the bulbs for the traction control/rear defrost/fog lights are #7219 microlamp bulbs but when trying to look for red ones or led...i found nothing. So i went to a site that sold said bulb and found out they are 3mm wide so I ordered some 3mm led bulbs in different colors off my favorite led supplier, superbrightleds.com. Should hopefully have them later this week.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast