Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2567891011121314151617181922 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'I told you, you'd be back' build of Misfire, my NB2 w/ F1 inspiration

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    06-10-19: First my thoughts/observations on the delrin door bushings. They made MUCH more of a difference on Misfire then they did on Warbird BUT given the amount of bracing(mentioned in my previous post on the door bushings) Warbird had plus the Fat Cat Motorsports coilovers this doesn't surprise me.

The biggest difference is the noise when you go over bumps/potholes/etc. where as before there was all kind of rattles, no you just here the suspension working(not very well in this case) and feel the bump.

Misfire "feels" more rigid and while some might doubt this when you think about what the OEM bushing was doing, allowing the door to be a flex point, and now with the delrin door bushing greatly reducing that flex point on the chassis then it makes sense. I definitely recommend these for ANYONE just be aware that the doors do require more effort to close but it is a trade off that is well worth it, IMHO.

Now on to the reason for the post today. A little over a month ago I bought back a part from Warbird's part out, which I THOUGHT was the 949 Racing rear subfame brace as it works on a NA or NB. When the package shows up it was in a square box that said Beatrush.

Apparently there was a miscommunication and I got the Beatrush PPF brace which turns out is NA specific and was about a 1" or so too long as I can only presume the NA PPF is shorter.

No big deal. I sold the Beatrush NA PPF brace and was trying to get the NB version and when talking to Goodwin Racing I found out they made a version of their own in their Roadstersport line, had it in stock and it was over $20 cheaper, so I ordered it and it showed up a few days later.

Right away I noticed that the welds look MUCH better than the Beatrush version which had pretty lousy looking welds where as the Roadstersport has "dime stacks". I know many don't think this matters but hey if I am paying for it then I want it as aesthetically pleasing as possible. Beyond that and the color they essentially are indistinguishable.

I wasn't fond of the silver and already had plans to use a similar gold hue to what Beatrush uses on various parts so I pressed out the bushings and sleeves from the Roadstersport PPF brace....

...and then took it to work and used the media blasting booth to blast it.

Then I took it to the powder coating shop that my work uses and I had already identified a color that I wanted to use.

The color is called "Sun Gold" and comparing it to pics and my memory it looks identical to the color Beatrush uses.

Installing the brace was just a matter of getting Misfire on jack stands, removing the two 19mm bolts from the rear subframe/ladder brace and the two 17mm bolts that go thru the PPF brace.

For whatever reason the brace didn't want to line up as easily as I thought it had on Warbird but I found that by first starting the PPF bolts and then the rear subframe braces it went in but still took some manual alignment to get the rear subframe bolts started.

If it wasn't for the alignment issue it would be a 30 minute job start to finish. Now for some more pics!

Again no driving time yet so will report back with some feedback on the PPF brace once I have some miles with it on Misfire.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (06-11-2019),lucmor444 (06-11-2019),MiataQuest (06-11-2019),Paul B (06-12-2019),tsingson (06-10-2019)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    07-30-19: Misfire and I have started a new adventure, involving these items(plus alot more as money allows).

The starting tools/supplies of GreaseMonkey Detailing! I have always wanted to start a business but I am certainly nervous! Decided Misfire should be my first customer so after about 10 hours of detailing that including the following:

Exterior
    -Rinse(x3), foam, wash, clay(including glass, on both sides), a coat of wax with a DA on the paint(3hrs right there), a coat of Xpress spray wax on paint, dressing on the tires, Xpress spray wax on wheels, polish exhaust tips and muffler, hydrophobic coating on all glass and soft top, dressing on trim/rubber

Motor
    -Wash, clean, apply a dressing to the engine(plastic, rubber and bare metal), apply hydrophobic coating to paint

Interior
    -Vacuum(x2), agitate/clean with APC, steam clean and apply a dressing to all surfaces(minus carpet as I only had one can of fabric guard)

Here are SOME(took over 30 pics) of the before/after pics:

[/url]

I have a whole new appreciation for TRULY detailing a vehicle because in all honesty I have never performed this extensive of a vehicle detail, ever. Thankfully with the help of professional detailers and their YouTube videos I have collected a good amount of information in the 30+hours of videos I have watched and hopefully learned a lot, which will hopefully reduce the instances of "learning the hard way".

Misfire in all honesty has been neglected far more than Warbird as Misfire wasn't as well taken care of previously so I just didn't get as concerned with keeping Misfire as clean as I tried to keep Warbird.

I plan to attempt to keep Misfire up much better than I have because I really don't have a excuse now that I have most of things I need to do so and the fact Misfire is garaged. I tip my hat to all of you out there that keep up your vehicles constantly, definitely not a easy task.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 07-30-2019 at 11:33 PM.
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Bryan (07-31-2019),HarryB (07-31-2019),MiataQuest (07-31-2019),tsingson (07-31-2019)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    07-30-19:More pics!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (07-31-2019),MiataQuest (07-31-2019),tsingson (07-31-2019)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    I love a good cleanup. I do it regularly partially as it is far easier to maintain than to restore, but mostly because it really calms me down. Great work Chad!

P.S. Ammo (Larry) has a very good step-by-step summary with all basics on his web page, it is a nice checklist to make sure you are not forgetting something till you learn it all by heart.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

tsingson (07-31-2019)

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,595 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Man...

...You travel?

Seriously: The Tick hasn't been washed since about an hour and a half before the accident...two years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
    I dont know a word you just said, but that **** sounded COOL.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

tsingson (07-31-2019)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    I love a good cleanup. I do it regularly partially as it is far easier to maintain than to restore, but mostly because it really calms me down. Great work Chad!

P.S. Ammo (Larry) has a very good step-by-step summary with all basics on his web page, it is a nice checklist to make sure you are not forgetting something till you learn it all by heart.
    Thanks, Harry! Definitely easier to keep up then to catch up. I've watched a lot of Larry's videos, thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Man...

...You travel?

Seriously: The Tick hasn't been washed since about an hour and a half before the accident...two years ago.
    Not nearly as much as I would like but thanks for the passive compliment, Bryan. It is easy to get discouraged and let things like keeping your car clean so don't be hard on yourself.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Bryan (08-04-2019)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    11-04-19: Wow over three months since a update! Well unfortunately nothing had happened in that time frame.

Although I wanted to comment that the full interior/exterior detail lasted over two months with just weekly wipe downs, thanks to a combination of garaging and my relatively low miles I put on Misfire. My wife has been driving Misfire the last few weeks so another full detail is in order and I believe some minor paint correction is in order.

So the reason for this post is due to the passenger side brake light going out. I had removed the taillight to check before ordering because I couldn't recall if I had LED's or incandescent bulbs installed. I found that it was a LED bulb and still worked but was "dying".

I had been looking at a "strobe/pulse" module for the rear brake lights to add a little more "rear end deterrent" when I came across LED bulbs that had this feature built in so it was a win-win. Thankfully Amazon Prime got me the bulbs here by the next business day.

Alla Lighting LED strobe brake bulbs. They pulsate three times then stay on unless you release and reapply the brakes.

Alla Lighting LED strobe bulb vs old LED bulb.

As you can see the new bulb has twice as many side bulbs which are the running lights, unfortunately this doesn't help Misfire any as I currently have the wire for the running lights unhooked since I have the LED halo rings as running lights.

I couldn't get the video to work properly thru Flickr for some reason but here it is on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B4eFQSTn..._web_copy_link
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 11-05-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    12-02-19, Mileage- 121,410: A few months(3-4) back i was checking Misfire out and noticed that the clutch master reservoir was a bit low(probably by about 1/3 from full) so I picked up some brake fluid, topped off and have kept my eye on it since.

I think I would have to add some about every other month, maybe 30% of the reservoir so I knew i needed to get a master and slave cylinder. Well in the past week and a half it had gotten to the point to where it needed about half the reservoir filled every day.

You think at this point I would have ordered them right? Nope. Stupid me waited until it got to the point where it would empty itself in one drive. of course this was last Wednesday...the day before Thanksgiving.

I went to order it from Amazon, nope couldn't find either that would ship next day with Prime. I then checked with Rock Auto and couldn't get them till 12/02 or 12/03 with regular ground shipping.

So i checked online with a local parts store and they had both and with a online coupon ended up being only about $8 more than Rock Auto but they weren't Exedy like I wanted. Of course I waited too late to get them that day and I thought they were open part of the day on Thanksgiving as they were last year but nope.

To make a long story not quit as long, I didn't get around to doing it today. With new parts now in hand, i got into it.

Upon closer inspection of the exterior and interior firewall where the master cylinder mounts, it was clear it had been leaking.

You can see the bubbling paint around it, I totally don't recall seeing this before.

I don't recall seeing this before either when I replaced the rubber clutch pedal stops.

Once I removed the master cylinder it was clear that it was bad.

My oldest and youngest granddaughters was at my house and of course Onyx(oldest, 5yrs old) wanted to help as she always does ANYTIME I am working in the garage.

Not long before her youngest sister June(2 yrs old) wanted to join in on the fun.

Funny thing the middle girl, Opal(3 yrs old), was watching me upload the pictures on Flicker and asked if she could help next time as she wasn't here then. Back on the subject at hand.

With the old master cylinder off, I took the new one and filled it with brake fluid and "bled it" by placing my finger over the outlet hole and using a screwdriver to press the "piston" a few times till fluid started to push out and then installed and reused the old "gasket" for what it was worth.

Moving onto the slave cylinder I got Misfire up on a jack stand and removed the front passenger wheel to get easier access to it, behold the only note worthy rust on Misfire.

One reason I love living in Texas, typically cars are rust free.

Swapped in the new slave cylinder and put on some Shin Etsu grease on the end for good measure.

Upon inspecting the old slave cylinder, I removed the boot and filthy brake fluid poured out right into my lap...well that was dumb of me but honestly wasn't expecting it as both my previous slave cylinders were fine, it was just the master cylinder that was bad on both...iirc. Definitely glad I got both but for less than $30 for both and the biggest pain being bleeding the system, it only makes sense to do both.

Moved onto bleeding the system which actually took more fluid than expected, probably about 6 ounces or more, and half way thru I notice that the inlet fitting was leaking so I snugged it up and that took care of that, thankfully.

Took Misfire out for a drive and all was good! Unfortunately I have concluded that the throw out bearing is going out as there is a slight "howling" that goes away once the clutch is depressed but comes back once the clutch is released.

Hopefully it will hold over till I have the money for a clutch(need to decide it I will go puck again or stick with a full face...it has to be able to handle at least 250ft/lbs for future power...probably a SuperMiata clutch either way) as I am not pulling the transmission just for that and not replacing the clutch at 121k miles, of course rear main seal and other transmission gaskets will get replaced too.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Bryan (12-03-2019),HarryB (12-03-2019),MiataQuest (12-08-2019),tsingson (12-03-2019)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    It makes sense to do things the way you did (except ordering parts in time of course) . Bleeding sucks, so I would do the same, replace both at the same time. You can save the used slave for spares, and I think that you can buy the seals/boot and rebuild it (if the bore and piston are in good nick).

It also looks like you had the best helpers ever!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (12-15-2019)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mx54life's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    I need my slave done too lol.....still functioning but all rusted.....before I get the car running......I’m gonna change it for a rust free look. Damn I miss being here. I like them RPF1.......14x7 +19? either way that “the” rim!!! Warbird would make love them for sure!!!
    Life is short drive a Miata

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mx54life For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (12-15-2019)

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,353 Posts
    I always loved having "help" in the garage My oldest son used to help me a lot when he was younger.

And welcome back, mx54life!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mx54life's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I always loved having "help" in the garage My oldest son used to help me a lot when he was younger.

And welcome back, mx54life!
    Thanks Martin!!!

I miss my Son too......the bonding time in the garage was timeless....

Enjoy them kids Chad.....they grow up fast.
    Life is short drive a Miata

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mx54life For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (12-15-2019),MaRcOp01o (12-05-2019),MiataQuest (12-08-2019),tsingson (12-05-2019)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    12-14-19: Have a few projects that I have been meaning to get to and one of those is customizing the "chrome" fuel lid that I had gave a brushed finish to with these parts.

Picked up a sheet of 6mm thick carbon fiber(as seen above), M5x10mm titanium bolts in a "burnt" finish.....

...and a custom Revlimiter insert.

Disassembled the fuel lid and got to work.

Note there is a spring with a plastic cap that goes below the fuel lid hinge and while it was easy enough to remove the actual fuel lid that spring and plastic cap went flying....so watch that if you disassemble.

Thankfully I found the spring with in a few minutes of searching about 12 feet away on a shelf....how I found it I am not sure but thank goodness! Unfortunately I couldn't locate said plastic cap(which at the time I didn't know was a plastic cap). So I decide to make something to go between the spring and lid.

After seeing the size of the spring, hole, etc. I decided to use a bolt and simply cut most of the threads off and shave the head down. Well after almost of a hour of doing that and test fitting I figured out that it wasn't going to work.

I just happen to see a plastic cap/sleeve although the inside diameter was a little to small for the spring but it looked thick enough to drill out to the right size. So i did that and cut off most of the length and of course it fell as I cut it and it fell under Misfire.

I got down to pick up said cap and just happen to see a similar looking cap on the same shelf the spring was on and wouldn't you know it was the plastic cap that came off the spring! What are the chances!

After about 7 hours and plenty of issues I was pretty happy with the results.

I hadn't originally planned on the piece of aluminum trim on top but one of the issues was I cut the opening for the insert to big and I wasn't going to waste that piece of carbon fiber, so this was the solution. I also decided to use bolts and nuts to hold the pieces together just in case I needed to replace the insert or carbon fiber.

I'm still not totally sold on the "burnt" finish titanium bolts...kind of wish I had just got normal titanium bolts. I have some stainless steel bolts(like the ones holding the pieces together) that I can replace them with if the titanium ones don't grow on me.

Finally, here are a couple of before/after pics as well.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Flyin 92 (12-15-2019),JamieH (12-19-2019),lucmor444 (12-14-2019),MiataQuest (12-14-2019),tsingson (12-14-2019)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Flyin 92's Avatar
    Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given
    Digging the fuel cap. Adds a bit of retro flare.

And I feel your pain on the throw-out bearing issue. Mine issue is the rear main is leaking... again. It's frustrating burning an afternoon to remove everything to replace a $5 part.
    Quote Originally Posted by zacatac View Post
    If I said the things in my head I would make a lot of enemies. All I wanted to say was "Isn't the fact that your double chin is resting on your tits enough motivation?"
    Link to the most lack-luster build in MR history

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flyin 92 For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (12-16-2019),tsingson (12-16-2019)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    @Flyin 92: Thanks, Chase!(iirc ) I've thought about powder coating the frame/trim black but time will tell. While it didn't turn out exactly how I wanted, I still like the results and proud of the end result.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

tsingson (12-16-2019)

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2567891011121314151617181922 ... LastLast