Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 912131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: The 'I told you, you'd be back' build of Misfire, my NB2 w/ F1 inspiration

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    03-21-21, Mileage- 126,616: I am ashamed to say that it has been almost two years since I changed Misfire's oil(04/20/19 @119,205 miles) but only about 7400 miles. Okay, either way I know I should do it at least once a year which I am going to start doing...I promise.

Picked up two more Purolator Boss PBL14610 filters a few months ago and decided to try Castrol GTX Magnatec 5w30 this time around. It is suppose to "stick to metal parts" to give better protection on start up.

I had also picked up one of Fumoto's new F106SX valves(the bolt is a banjo type and the valve can swivel to set the direction) but after seeing it hung down approx. 0.25" below the oil pan and sub frame, I opted not to install it given I plan to lower Misfire another inch or so.

The filter was a bit of a pan to get off. I was actually trying to see if one of my friends had a oil filter wrench that would fit but no one had one small enough. After much exertion, it finally came off.

Everything else went as expected but I have a small oil leak some where at the front of the motor which I honestly didn't take the time to track down.

I had also replaced the CV boot that I was using as a shift boot for a Audi MKI TT shift boot a few weeks ago but forgot to post a picture.

I'm not sure if I will install the whole Audi TT shift console after all...in fact I think I am going to do a center console delete. I recently found a great option for the tombstone end cap for NB's from Jass Performance.

https://www.jassperformance.com/shop...-Tombstone-Cap

That is probably the route I will go with.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 03-21-2021 at 11:11 PM.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Bryan (03-22-2021),Cermivelli (03-22-2021),lifebyevan (03-22-2021)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! lifebyevan's Avatar
    Drives
    Mahogony Mica '00 Special Edition NB1
    Thanks Given
    Fresh oil change just in time for the spring festivities Hooray for Misfire!

I think the tombstone end cap would fit the look for Misfire. It's nice they give you the switches for the window switches built-in.

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,595 Times in 1,395 Posts
    The Tick needs an oil change. It spent a year with 15w40 (Rotella T4 instead of the T6) in the oil pan.
    Quote Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
    I dont know a word you just said, but that **** sounded COOL.

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    03-22-21: Finally got around to refinishing Misfire's headlights, again, as I didn't do any kind of permanent seal coat or finish when I refinished them two years ago.

I was going to do the whole process over and then use a ceramic coat but after using the ceramic coat on the side markers and not being too sure about the results I decided to use actual clear coat.

Since I don't have a compressor and paint gun, I went with a aerosol clear coat. Having already research options, it seemed the general consensus was that 2k clear coat was the best option which has the clear coat plus a hardener that you release by using a "button" that is included.

I wet sanded with 800 grit and then 1200, iirc, cleaned thoroughly, wiped down with rubbing alcohol and after masking the hood, fenders and bumper off, I applied the 2k clear coat(SprayMax 3680061, which I don't recommend) in a few light coats(2) and then two medium coats. Letting the clear coat dry for about 10 minutes between coats and used a heat gun to try and speed it up.

Right away there was obvious orange peel so I knew that I would have to wet sand, compound and polish which I did after letting the clear coat setup for about 12hrs.

The results are pretty good but I may have needed to go to 600 grit because the passenger side still has obvious yellowing which isn't as apparent in pictures but still discernible when comparing to the driver side.

Driver side(before)

Drive side(after)

Passenger side(before)

Passenger side(after)

I plan on picking up another set of NB2 headlights to refinish, paint the inner housing black, add a switchback halo on the low beam and possibly upgrade the high beam to a projector lens.
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (03-30-2021),HarryB (03-30-2021)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    03-29-21: Picked up a set of Katana LED 9005 bulbs(about $50 shipped on Amazon) to replace Misfire's halogen bulbs(I believe they are Sylvania Silverstar Ultra).

When unpacking the bulbs I recalled I never did check on the correct orientation of LED bulbs when they replace halogens, something I meant to do when I bought the Katana LED bulbs for the low beams.

One quick internet search later and I found that the LED's should be facing 3 and 9 in the headlight when replacing a halogen bulb, in a fixture meant for halogen bulbs.

I checked the low beams and sure enough they were both turned 90 degrees, facing 12 and 6. I decided to just fix(just loosen a allen head set screw on the mounting collar, move and tighten set screw) the driver side to see the difference which was pretty obvious.

Driver side with low beam LED bulb correctly oriented at 3 and 9 and passenger side incorrectly oriented at 12 and 6:

Both low beam LED bulbs oriented correctly at 3 and 9:

As you can see with the passenger side incorrectly oriented at 12 and 6, there is more overlap of the beams causing a large hot spot in the center and it throwing further instead of wider.

Katana LED bulbs for low beam and Sylvania Silverstar Ultra(i believe) halogen bulbs for high beam:

Katana LED bulbs for low and high beam:

I'm very pleased with the results, considering these are $50 LED bulbs, so essentially "cheap" LED bulbs and the ones I bought a year ago have held up thus far with no issues. $50 is what you would pay for "premium" halogen bulbs so I would take these over the "premium" halogen bulbs any day of the week.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Bryan (03-30-2021),Demon I Am (03-30-2021),HarryB (03-30-2021),MiataQuest (03-30-2021)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone RustRat's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given
    A lot going on here, need to get reading. Your builds are always interesting, and it pleases me to see you still wrenching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RustRat For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-12-2021)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    I think you officially have the brightest roadster on the forum.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaRcOp01o For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-12-2021),HarryB (03-31-2021)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by RustRat View Post
    A lot going on here, need to get reading. Your builds are always interesting, and it pleases me to see you still wrenching
    Thanks, Peter, appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by MaRcOp01o View Post
    I think you officially have the brightest roadster on the forum.
    Thanks, Marco! I think it stems from the need to finally be the "brightest one in the room". I have a few more items that will help me "hold that title".

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (04-13-2021),RustRat (04-13-2021)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    04-06-21, Mileage-126,780: Picked up a Standard AV23 check valve and 5/8" heater hose....

....and installed on Misfire since there is supposed to be a check valve between the supercharger intake pipe and the line that goes to the IACV(idle air control valve).

I was HOPING this might help decrease the off throttle/boost idle droop..unfortunately it did no such thing. It is supposedly suppose to "add"(gain back) 1/2psi of boost, according to Track Dog Racing. I really just need to pick up another throttle body and do dual throttle bodies once and for all to take care of the idle droop issue.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

dnaha (04-21-2021)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    04-12-21: I really like the Flyin Miata LED smoked side markers BUT I honestly prefer the look of the colored lenses. I had considered picking up another set of Flyin Miata LED side markers with clear lenses and then either using colored translucent paint or film but that's more money I don't want to spend.

Solution? Hybrid side marker lights using the OEM lenses and Flyin Miata LED housings! I had looked the FM side marker lights over when I first bought them and could see that physically they were pretty much identical to the OEM side marker lights so I knew that this SHOULD work.

I first used a 3" angle grinder but after cutting the first pair, I started using a dremel so I could adjust the speed and have more control....either way it more or less melted the plastic.

After cleaning up the edges with sand paper and using rubbing alcohol to clean the mating surfaces, I used clear silicone to seal the lens to the housing and used a zip tie on each side to keep the two together tightly while they dry.

Make sure you have the lens and housing oriented correctly before assembling! I labeled each housing BUT some how mounted the lens upside down on the first two which is bad because the lens sticks out further on top and tapers in as it goes to the bottom and the housing has locating pins...so had to take those two apart and redo.

Let them dry for about two hours and then installed.

I am very pleased with the results, as they are brighter and the color is deeper and I think the amber/red lens just fits the look I'm going for. My only issue is you can see the individual LED's now because the FM lens had a built in diffuser, where as the OEM doesn't. So I will more than likely pull them back apart and install a light diffuser.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Bryan (04-13-2021),HarryB (04-13-2021),MiataQuest (04-14-2021),RustRat (04-13-2021)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Glad you did swap the lenses; very much prefer the OEM ones as well! LED light diffusers can be made with a sanded piece of acrylic ;)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-16-2021)

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,595 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    Glad you did swap the lenses; very much prefer the OEM ones as well!
    Agreed. I didn't want to rain on the parade, but I was not a fan of the smoked lenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
    I dont know a word you just said, but that **** sounded COOL.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-16-2021)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    Glad you did swap the lenses; very much prefer the OEM ones as well! LED light diffusers can be made with a sanded piece of acrylic ;)
    Me too! You read my mind on using acrylic, ordered a some already and should have this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Agreed. I didn't want to rain on the parade, but I was not a fan of the smoked lenses.
    I'm always open to useful criticism. ;) I never WANTED smoked lenses but it was that or clear which stood out too much. If amber/red lenses were a option that's exactly what I would have bought the first time around. I think makers of these are missing out on a decent amount of customers that would want the same.

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    04-16-21: I decided to try a few suggestions from fellow Miata enthusiast with supercharged Miata's to try and alleviate the off throttle idle/stalling issue. The first was to unhook the IACV and plug the fittings that connected the supercharger intake tract to the IACV.

I did this and drove Misfire for two days like that, it helped slightly if I pressed in on the clutch but that also worked some times previously. The most obvious downside was cold starts as it causes the motor to almost stall until it starts to warm up. Went ahead and hooked the IACV back up and the line with check valve between the SC intake tract and IACV.

Today I decided to try a suggestion from Scotty(Spinnywhoosh), raising the idle to 1100-1200. Misfire's idle was set at the factory 850 RPMs so I let Misfire idle till warmed up(coolant at 190-195F) and then used a piece of wire to jump the TEN and GRN in the diagnostic port and after a few adjustments had a idle of about 1050 RPMs, verified using a OBDII dongle and Torque app.

Took Misfire for a quick drive around the neighborhood and not even a hint of idle droop! Now I didn't turn the ac which obviously made it worse and I rarely run the ac but will try that as well. I had known about this possible fix long before getting Misfire and kick myself for not trying it sooner! Will report back if this is a permanent solution.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (04-17-2021)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    04-19-21, Mileage-126,875: A month or so ago Misfire's transmission(5spd) started to scratch/slight grind(depending on speed/rpm) when going into 5th gear. I feared a failing synchro but quickly realized I had yet to change the transmission fluid....for shame. Thankfully my normal day to day driving doesn't necessitate the use of 5th gear so I just didn't use it.

Changing the transmission fluid has been on the "to do" list for some time but as usual I told myself that I would just do it when I do xxx(in this case the clutch/flywheel which I've had for almost a year). This new development obviously made it necessary which in all honesty should have been done the first few months of ownership.

I recall everyone raving about the Unicorn Tears (aka Ford Motorcraft Fully Synthetic Transmission fluid XT-M5-QS) and how they turned shifting into a "euphoric experience" and brought them as close to "driving nirvana" as possible, so who am I to doubt such compelling "evidence".

Picked up two quarts off of the future N.W.O (New World Order) aka Amazon, a quart of Lucas fully synthetic 75w90 gear fluid from a local auto parts store and ordered a new Mazda diff vent(part #0730-26-060) from Atkins Rotary.

I also had a hand pump that I picked up some time ago but never used till now that can be used on a quart or gallon container.

As most suggest and common sense dictates, I removed the fill plug first(after getting Misfire safely on jack stands) to make ensure this wasn't a waste and rendering Misfire inoperable if I drained the fluid first and couldn't get the fill plug off/out. The fill plug looked fine (no rounded edges or anything) and came out easily.

Once the drain plug was removed....

...it was easy to see how badly the fluid needed to be replaced. The oem drain plug has a built in magnet so those are metal particles and built up "sludge". The fluid was rather dark and had lots of "sparkles" in it...imagine if a herd of My Little Ponies were swimming when the Exxon Valdez decided to bellow out crude oil in the ocean...thats more or less what it looked like.

I wish I had set up my camera on the tripod to take a picture of it coming out but I didn't have the foresight nor would it have been that exciting and my hands were filthy even with mechanics gloves on.

Differential fluid looked as expected but that diff vent was a pain to get off(used a 14mm open ended and then closed ratcheting wrench) with how tight it is between the diff and subframe.

I did note some "pressure relief" when I removed the fill plug and the diff vent that was on the looked very dirty and the dust cap didn't want to rotate so it may have been failing...glad I picked one up.

After less than 50 miles it already seems the 5th gear scratch is lessening and now barely perceivable and most note the shifting gets that much better/smoother in the first few hundred miles so I am fully expecting that issue to go away, thank goodness for the cheap fixes. Other than that improvement...I honestly can't say I notice a difference in shifting but will follow up with time/mileage.

*Supercharger idle droop/stall issue*-It would seem increasing the idle to approx. 1050 rpm has fixed this issue as it hasn't occurred again since increasing the idle.

The only down side I have seen/noticed is a CEL code P0507 for "idle control system RPM higher than expected" which doesn't bother me as Misfire's CEL has been on since purchased 4 years ago due to a P0037 "HO2S heater control circuit low(Bank 1 sensor 2)" which doesn't affect anything and will replace the secondary o2 sensor when the mid-pipe is replaced.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (05-28-2021),HarryB (04-22-2021),MaRcOp01o (04-26-2021)

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 912131415161718192021222324 LastLast