Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81112131415161718

Thread: The 'I told you, you'd be back' build of Misfire, my NB2 w/ F1 inspiration

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,291 Times in 1,170 Posts
    01-23-21: Tackled a project I have been meaning to do for some time, refinishing the custom axle back. Originally I was going to do it all black but after seeing the black muffler and silver pipes, I decided I liked the silver better.

So pulled off the axle back and spent about 2.5hrs refinishing it and then used high temperature VHT clear coat to seal it. Sure wish it was all stainless steel instead of aluminized steel, oh well.

@Bryan: Better?
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 01-23-2021 at 10:43 PM.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (01-24-2021),Bryan (01-25-2021),HarryB (01-24-2021),MaRcOp01o (01-25-2021),MiataQuest (01-24-2021)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,718 Times in 3,176 Posts
    Had similar Hankooks on my wife’s Lexus. Can confirm; not a great rain tire.

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    That. Antenna. Has. To. Go.
    I am STRONGLY considering having the antenna hole on mine professionally filled when I have the car painted. For now, it's covered by a drain plug. You almost wouldn't notice it aside from the fact that it's silver. I've always heard that the bolt cover from the windshield wiper arms also fits the antenna's housing hole perfectly, but I never had a spare one to try it out with.
    Quote Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
    I dont know a word you just said, but that **** sounded COOL.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (01-24-2021)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch m00se's Avatar
    Drives
    BRG '94 NA8T, mariner blue '91 stored
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I've always heard that the bolt cover from the windshield wiper arms also fits the antenna's housing hole perfectly, but I never had a spare one to try it out with.
    They do fit perfectly, I have mine covered like that for years although I suspect a little leak because the plugs get hard and dry from age. I always harvest these plugs when I see a miata at the junkyard

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    @Bryan: Better?

FWIW: no offense was intended.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (01-25-2021)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    @Bryan:

FWIW: Told ya Bryan, none taken.
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (02-23-2021),Bryan (01-26-2021)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    02-21-21: I had reached out to Keith at GRacing a few weeks ago to see if there was anything that could be done to lessen the noise from his short throw shifter which my idea was to make a delrin shifter bushing.

Keith said they had actually made a change to the current shifters to help with this and that if I sent it back and covered shipping both ways that he would make the change(s) free of charge, awesome! We spoke for 10-15 minutes and Keith is definitely a enthusiast (FC RX7 is his jam) and was a pleasure to speak with.

Keith said the NVH from the shifter is hit and miss from one chassis to another BUT every person that I've seen with one that I have spoken to says there was a increase in NVH. I honestly could live with it as I absolutely love the shifter BUT if the NVH could be decreased I'm fine with that.

So I had to figure out what I was going to do for a shifter in the mean time because I had trashed everything but the oem shifter itself(only not worn out). After checking on prices for a basic rebuild kit and lower shift boot, I decided I would just pick up another eBay short throw shifter(about $46 shipped) and actually install it this time.

That's what I did and this is what it looks like and includes:

It has MOSTLY everything as there is technically suppose to be two of the plastic collars and wave washers but I made it work.

I did have to modify the collar that sits on the turret locating pin since the NB transmission has two so I simply used a grinder with 4" cut off wheel to make the notch directly across from the one already present.

I also shaved down the plastic collar to fit inside the metal spacer. So I didn't have one down in the shifter turret, just on top of the shifter. I figured I would see how it feels and put it below the shifter if it didn't feel right or work correctly. If I were to install this long term I'd recommend a OEM shifter rebuild kit, in all honesty.

Sorry I didn't take any install pictures but there are A TON of them out there and Revlimiter has a really good one if you are in need of such pictures/how to.

I tested it out and it felt right to me so I put the center console back in and put on my previous NRG shift knob till I get back my GRacing sts.

(I already drove with it and for the money I'd say it's pretty excellent value as it has nice short, positive shifts with hardly any increased resistance over stock, if any)

The shift knob is so deep, it almost didn't work with the rubber boot. I actually have picked up another Audi TT Mark I shifter surround/boot/trim ring that I plan on adding but it wouldn't work unless I had a shift extender so that will have to wait till I get the GRacing sts back...I'm pretty excited to see how that turns out.

*ATTENTION: Agent Orange* On to the next little item I have been meaning to take care of, that is that RC car looking antenna! I thought a shorter antenna would look a lot better so I picked up a universal 5" aluminum/carbon fiber antenna but that was only marginally better. Well you be the judge.

I started thinking...I RARELY use the head unit much less the radio(AM/FM) and use either the Bluetooth or CD player when I do. So the next logical step was deleting the antenna all together.

I recalled people saying you could use the wiper plugs but Misfire didn't have any and I think they were like $5+(not including shipping) so I kept looking.

I measured the wiper arm opening and got approx. 1". I then measure the RetroModern metal wiper caps and got the same measurement. I hopped on Amazon and quickly found some plastic insert "locking" caps that were 1"/25mm, ordered them and received a few days later.

Removed the antenna, test fit, cleaned the area, put some clear silicone(RTV) on the bottom of the caps lip(which is narrow and put a liberal amount on the inside of the trunk inside the cap and around it), put it in and applied pressure to get it to seat as best as possible. It sits very flush considering that area of the fender isn't flat.

Much better, imo and especially considering the cost and time involved. I bought 60 of these as you had to buy them in at least that quantity so if any one wants one I have some to spare that I'd part with for not much more than postage to get it to you.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 02-22-2021 at 03:26 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Bryan (02-22-2021),MiataQuest (02-22-2021)

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    I'll volunteer to test one of those plugs!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! atlex's Avatar
    Drives
    blue, white and two-tone
    Thanks Given
    Gosh that backbox setup looks spanky. I love your car's whole aesthetic :-)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atlex For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (02-23-2021),MaRcOp01o (Yesterday)

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    I'm curious how necessary the RTV is.

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    I'll volunteer to test one of those plugs!
    Send me your address and how many you want via PM.

Quote Originally Posted by atlex View Post
    Gosh that backbox setup looks spanky. I love your car's whole aesthetic :-)
    I'm not sure what the backbox is referring to but thank you very much for the compliment and enjoying the direction I'm going.

I'm curious how necessary the RTV is.
    I dunno as it's a snug fit. One could pop one in and run water over it to see. I just figured better safe than sorry. Long run I will probably fill the hole and paint over it.

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Will do!

I'm still considering painting over mine for the same reason you are. (Also: I've got a small dimple--apparently from my fat butt--next to the filler from sitting on the car while putting gas in it, so the body shop will have to give it some attention.)

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81112131415161718