Thread: The 'I told you, you'd be back' build of Misfire, my NB2 w/ F1 inspiration

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts

Cool The 'I told you, you'd be back' build of Misfire, my NB2 w/ F1 inspiration

I know what some of you are thinking....'I knew you would be back' or 'that didn't take long' or even 'this guy again'...I can understand any of these thoughts.

The truth is I missed having a roadster far too much and Shelby, my '03 Mustang GT, just wasn't holding my interest enough to keep me from making my way to various automobile listing sites and searching for used Miata's.

So it was only logical that I give in and get another roadster. When I decided I had to part out Warbird I made up my mind that the next Miata would have be a second(NB2) or third(NC) generation and it also would have to have some sort of forced induction, preferably a supercharger.

It really wasn't so much a plan as it was just a causal browsing of used Miata's for sell when I came across a 2001 Mazda Miata in Austin, Tx that was listed to have approx. 104k miles, a supercharger, aftermarket clutch and aftermarket exhaust. There was only one picture and it looked to be one done for a dealership.

I then sent a text asking for more pictures and received them fairly promptly. We exchanged a few more text messages and ended up speaking on the phone and said I would come check it out that day and of course I was told that I had better hurry because there had been many inquiries about it.

The wife and I went to Texas Autoplex(go see Behzad if they have something you are interested in!) in Austin and checked it out and took it for a test drive. The first time I heard the supercharger whine I was ecstatic! Sadly enough I had never been in a forced induction equipped Miata before, much less drove one.

While the power difference from the meager m45 was a noticeable, and welcome, difference from the mostly stock NA8 power-plant of Warbird's I was used to...it wasn't huge difference. In fact I could see how some one that had never driven a stock Miata before could mistakenly think that all Miata's are 'this quick' because it is just enough power to keep you intrigued but not so much that it is a handful.

The test drive was uneventful except for a set of black tire marks that was left in a parking lot when trying to establish, definitively, if it had a LSD or not because when I called Mazda it was showing to be a base model with no additional options but they said sometimes they get added 'afterwards' or something like that.

Unfortunately I couldn't take it home as the bank didn't wrap things up but Behzad said he would hold it for me till Monday with no deposit. A long story short the bank didn't get everything taken care of until Thursday so that evening I went back to Austin where Behzad was kind enough to wait for me 30 minutes after their normal business hours to finalize everything.

Well enough words for now...let's get to some pictures. I just took these, so this is 'as is' from the dealer because I wanted to take pics of it as I bought it before I clean it up or remove anything.

Oh what is this...

Now which is it...you cut the blue or the...blue wire?

Only the best!

Flame throwers?

Look at all dem custom parts bro!

So if it is carbon Kevlar will it stop a bullet?

Oh look the gauges are waving at you!

'Paging Revlimiter'

Hey these look familiar!

Cutting edge technology...

....circa 2000.

So here is a quick run down on what parts it currently has and I have identified:

Exterior:
    -mesh grille(will be removed)
    -'chrome' fuel door(will be replaced)
    -OEM fog lights(that don't currently function)
    -OEM spoiler(will be removed eventually, for something else)
    -OEM side skirts

Interior:
    -carbon Kevlar overlay(will DEFINITELY come off)
    -various 'chrome' accents(will DEFINITELY come off)
    -aftermarket gauges(will be replaced with Revlimiter gauges of course)
    -chrome gauge rings(will be removed)
    -aftermarket alarm(will be staying)
    -Harddog Single hoop roll bar(it MAY stay or get replaced with another roll bar)
    -'custom' wind screen(will be removed)
    -'custom' speakers mounted on the roll bar(will be removed)

Suspension:
    -KYB Accel-G struts w/ lowering springs(will be replaced with coilovers)
    -Racing Beat front sway bar w/ brace(will probably be staying unless it isn't the tubular sway)

Engine:
    -m45(will probably stay)
    -DDM(?) intake box(will probably stay)
    -Track Dog Racing intercooler kit(will stay as long as it stays FI)
    -Track Dog Racing crank overlay(will stay if m45 stays)
    -Track Dog Racing header blanket(will probably be replaced with another one)
    -aftermarket header of unknown brand(probably stay)
    -Track Dog Racing oil psi kit(fixed or replaced)
    -hood struts(staying)
    -non-adjustable Power Card(will be replaced with a ms3 more than likely)
    -Racing Beat Power Pulse Twin Tip muffler(probably replaced with a RB dual outlet)

Transmission:
    -aftermarket clutch of unknown brand(replaced in time)

Chassis:
    -stock(that will change)

Overall I am very happy with the purchase. As usual I was looking at parts before I even picked up the NB2 but it seemed like I was just recreating Warbird that isn't something I want to do.

So I started thinking harder about the car at hand and I thought about the first time I heard that supercharger whine from the driver seat and it reminded me of a Formula 1 car. I am no means trying to compare it in overall terms but that sound....don't believe me just listen to a few F1 clips from YouTube and then some clips of m45/mp62 equipped Miata's and you will hear what I am talking about.

No sooner than I thought about that, I was looking on a Miata forums for sale section and there was a Sparco that looked like it came out of and or belonged in a F1 car and that is when I decided that a F1 inspired build would be pretty cool and allow me to use some of the aviation inspirations Warbird had while still being something 'entirely different'. On the other hand I am not a F1 enthusiast by far BUT they are the cutting edge of racing technology so what about them isn't worth emulating.

How far I will take this idea...I really can't say but I PLAN on the interior being more modest this time around and centered on being purposeful while still being aesthetically pleasing. My immediate plans are to remove all the items I don't care for, clean it up and do a tune up.

I am not sure where I will go from there. I definitely need to get a wideband to verify AFR's and will go ahead and get a boost gauge as well...these will probably be AEM analog units with custom Revlimiter faces.

I want to do 15x10 6UL wheels with 245 RS4's this time around since they will fit under the 'stock fenders' on a NB and I LOVED the 225 RS3's I used previously.

I think I will also give Meister R(I already know some of you that will talk trash about them but the shining UK reviews has me curious) the opportunity to provide some adjustable coilovers and see what I think in comparison to the FEAL 441 Road Race and milder Fat Cat Motorsports 2040 coilovers I had on Warbird.

I may get some....uh hum...Xida's IF I find a good deal on a used set or new from a individual. This is one product I don't care to buy new directly from 949 Racing, for my own personal reasons I'd rather not get into. Don't get me wrong I have bought parts from them and will buy more...just not the Xida's.

I also hope/want/plan to do some aero that is both purposeful/functional and some that will be mostly for aesthetics but with a purposeful/functional look, lol.

Really glad to be back in a roadster and I know I can't find a better group of enthusiast then fellow Miata/MX5 owners!
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 08-12-2017 at 10:13 PM.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

91BRG (11-19-2018),Cermivelli (04-16-2017),chiefmg (04-08-2017),Dave737 (04-17-2017),freedomgli (04-27-2017),Hammerhead (04-08-2017),HarryB (04-09-2017),JamieH (04-08-2017),MiataQuest (04-09-2017),NCGreasemonkey (04-09-2017),oldgrayleather (04-16-2017),Paul B (04-08-2017),RustRat (04-09-2017),tsingson (04-08-2017)