Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: The 'I told you, you'd be back' build of Misfire, my NB2 w/ F1 inspiration

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    01-23-21: Tackled a project I have been meaning to do for some time, refinishing the custom axle back. Originally I was going to do it all black but after seeing the black muffler and silver pipes, I decided I liked the silver better.

So pulled off the axle back and spent about 2.5hrs refinishing it and then used high temperature VHT clear coat to seal it. Sure wish it was all stainless steel instead of aluminized steel, oh well.

@Bryan: Better?
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 01-23-2021 at 10:43 PM.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (01-24-2021),Bryan (01-25-2021),HarryB (01-24-2021),MaRcOp01o (01-25-2021),MiataQuest (01-24-2021)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Had similar Hankooks on my wife’s Lexus. Can confirm; not a great rain tire.

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,595 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    That. Antenna. Has. To. Go.
    I am STRONGLY considering having the antenna hole on mine professionally filled when I have the car painted. For now, it's covered by a drain plug. You almost wouldn't notice it aside from the fact that it's silver. I've always heard that the bolt cover from the windshield wiper arms also fits the antenna's housing hole perfectly, but I never had a spare one to try it out with.
    Quote Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
    I dont know a word you just said, but that **** sounded COOL.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (01-24-2021)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch m00se's Avatar
    Drives
    BRG '94 NA8T, mariner blue '91 stored
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I've always heard that the bolt cover from the windshield wiper arms also fits the antenna's housing hole perfectly, but I never had a spare one to try it out with.
    They do fit perfectly, I have mine covered like that for years although I suspect a little leak because the plugs get hard and dry from age. I always harvest these plugs when I see a miata at the junkyard

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    @Bryan: Better?

FWIW: no offense was intended.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (01-25-2021)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    @Bryan:

FWIW: Told ya Bryan, none taken.
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (02-23-2021),Bryan (01-26-2021)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    02-21-21: I had reached out to Keith at GRacing a few weeks ago to see if there was anything that could be done to lessen the noise from his short throw shifter which my idea was to make a delrin shifter bushing.

Keith said they had actually made a change to the current shifters to help with this and that if I sent it back and covered shipping both ways that he would make the change(s) free of charge, awesome! We spoke for 10-15 minutes and Keith is definitely a enthusiast (FC RX7 is his jam) and was a pleasure to speak with.

Keith said the NVH from the shifter is hit and miss from one chassis to another BUT every person that I've seen with one that I have spoken to says there was a increase in NVH. I honestly could live with it as I absolutely love the shifter BUT if the NVH could be decreased I'm fine with that.

So I had to figure out what I was going to do for a shifter in the mean time because I had trashed everything but the oem shifter itself(only not worn out). After checking on prices for a basic rebuild kit and lower shift boot, I decided I would just pick up another eBay short throw shifter(about $46 shipped) and actually install it this time.

That's what I did and this is what it looks like and includes:

It has MOSTLY everything as there is technically suppose to be two of the plastic collars and wave washers but I made it work.

I did have to modify the collar that sits on the turret locating pin since the NB transmission has two so I simply used a grinder with 4" cut off wheel to make the notch directly across from the one already present.

I also shaved down the plastic collar to fit inside the metal spacer. So I didn't have one down in the shifter turret, just on top of the shifter. I figured I would see how it feels and put it below the shifter if it didn't feel right or work correctly. If I were to install this long term I'd recommend a OEM shifter rebuild kit, in all honesty.

Sorry I didn't take any install pictures but there are A TON of them out there and Revlimiter has a really good one if you are in need of such pictures/how to.

I tested it out and it felt right to me so I put the center console back in and put on my previous NRG shift knob till I get back my GRacing sts.

(I already drove with it and for the money I'd say it's pretty excellent value as it has nice short, positive shifts with hardly any increased resistance over stock, if any)

The shift knob is so deep, it almost didn't work with the rubber boot. I actually have picked up another Audi TT Mark I shifter surround/boot/trim ring that I plan on adding but it wouldn't work unless I had a shift extender so that will have to wait till I get the GRacing sts back...I'm pretty excited to see how that turns out.

*ATTENTION: Agent Orange* On to the next little item I have been meaning to take care of, that is that RC car looking antenna! I thought a shorter antenna would look a lot better so I picked up a universal 5" aluminum/carbon fiber antenna but that was only marginally better. Well you be the judge.

I started thinking...I RARELY use the head unit much less the radio(AM/FM) and use either the Bluetooth or CD player when I do. So the next logical step was deleting the antenna all together.

I recalled people saying you could use the wiper plugs but Misfire didn't have any and I think they were like $5+(not including shipping) so I kept looking.

I measured the wiper arm opening and got approx. 1". I then measure the RetroModern metal wiper caps and got the same measurement. I hopped on Amazon and quickly found some plastic insert "locking" caps that were 1"/25mm, ordered them and received a few days later.

Removed the antenna, test fit, cleaned the area, put some clear silicone(RTV) on the bottom of the caps lip(which is narrow and put a liberal amount on the inside of the trunk inside the cap and around it), put it in and applied pressure to get it to seat as best as possible. It sits very flush considering that area of the fender isn't flat.

Much better, imo and especially considering the cost and time involved. I bought 60 of these as you had to buy them in at least that quantity so if any one wants one I have some to spare that I'd part with for not much more than postage to get it to you.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 02-22-2021 at 03:26 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Bryan (02-22-2021),MiataQuest (02-22-2021)

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    I'll volunteer to test one of those plugs!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power atlex's Avatar
    Drives
    blue, white and two-tone
    Thanks Given
    Gosh that backbox setup looks spanky. I love your car's whole aesthetic :-)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atlex For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (02-23-2021),MaRcOp01o (03-02-2021)

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    I'm curious how necessary the RTV is.

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    I'll volunteer to test one of those plugs!
    Send me your address and how many you want via PM.

Quote Originally Posted by atlex View Post
    Gosh that backbox setup looks spanky. I love your car's whole aesthetic :-)
    I'm not sure what the backbox is referring to but thank you very much for the compliment and enjoying the direction I'm going.

I'm curious how necessary the RTV is.
    I dunno as it's a snug fit. One could pop one in and run water over it to see. I just figured better safe than sorry. Long run I will probably fill the hole and paint over it.

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Will do!

I'm still considering painting over mine for the same reason you are. (Also: I've got a small dimple--apparently from my fat butt--next to the filler from sitting on the car while putting gas in it, so the body shop will have to give it some attention.)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    03-08-21: The last few days I have been working on installing the Flyin Miata smoked LED side markers and MK4 VW Jetta smoked sequential LED side markers.

I decided I wanted to go ahead and shave them for a cleaner look, even though most wouldn't even notice.

While the pictures don't show the flaws, they didn't turn out as well as I had hoped as small scratches are still apparent if one were to look very close. After sanding them with 600/1500/2k/3k, I used compound and a polish, wiped them down with rubbing alcohol and sealed with a ceramic coating.

Next up was figuring out a mounting location for the MK4 VW Jetta side markers. I went ahead and placed them where I plan on installing fender vents later, in the event I didn't like them. I made a template out of cardboard, took measurements and decided on a location. Then I started cutting with a 3" angle grinder with 40 grit cut off wheel.

I then used a Dremel tool with sanding stone wheels to cut the ends and de-burr. It went pretty well all things considered with minimal paint chipping around the area but would be covered by the edges of the side marker.

Next up was making the wiring harnesses and splicing into the factory harness by the front turn signal wires.

The harnesses originally was about 7.5' which was about 3.5' or so too long, so I shortened them. All the connections were soldered and heat shrinked. I use to hate doing electrical tasks but the more I do them, the more I enjoy them! Especially soldering, I find it relaxing.

I decided I didn't want to cut the factory harness or use vampire clamps so I simply cut some of the wire insulation long enough to take the wire from the connector and wrapped the copper wire(separated half the copper strands) around said area, wrapping around in opposite directions and then soldered.

I figured this was the intrusive of my options and could be removed completely in the future with out actually interrupting/cutting a factory wire connection.

This took much longer than expected...probably about 6-7hrs to install everything for the MK4 VW Jetta side marker lights. Next up was installing the Flying Miata side marker lights, which obviously for the front was simply replacing the side markers but the rear required wiring since NBs(US?) rear side markers are not illuminated from the factory which is pretty stupid, imo.

I more ore less repeated the wiring procedure that was done on the front...used a volt meter to check/confirm the wire(s) needed and confirmed by turning on the running lights and simply touching the wire leads from the 194 socket plugged into a side marker to the proper pin.

The wire for the NB2 chassis for the rear running light is the red w/ black stripe but the NB1 it is white...I know this because Misfire is a NB2 but has NB1 taillights. As with any modification I suggest confirming this information yourself.

I removed the taillights so I could pop out the wire harness plastic hold down so I could get enough length on the harness to solder it outside of the trunk, just barely.

I also had to figure out where to run the wiring out of the trunk. On the driver side there is a rubber grommet that is approx. 10mm that I removed and drilled out to approx. 19mm.

Originally I was going to just use a 12mm grommet BUT the 194 connector wouldn't fit thru it so I went up to 19mm so the connector could pass thru the hole.

Harnesses pretty much looked identical to the front(s), just shorter...I unfortunately did not measure one but I would say they were around 2'. Of course I checked to confirm the connections were good by hooking up a side marker before putting everything back together.
    Before:

After:

As you can see the smoked side markers almost disappear on a darker color like Misfire's. I honestly prefer the amber/red side markers and had THOUGHT about trying to chop the two sets and Frankenstein the OEM lenses to the Flyin Miata LED units but after looking at both I quickly realized that was more than I was willing to try.

Lighting, especially LED, is VERY difficult to capture in a picture(or video) but I gave it my best amateur photography effort.

Further away it is definitely distorted but taking a close up turned out a much more accurate representation.

The MK4 VW Jetta LED sequential side markers was the most difficult to try and capture but they match REALLY well.

Will try to make a video of the lights in the weeks to come.

I also had a set of Antline LED switch back bulbs(purchased on Amazon) that I was waiting to install but needed a LED flasher to prevent hyper flash. Oddly enough a NB LED flasher isn't "common knowledge" but after 15 minutes or so of searching I found a thread on another Miata forum talking about said subject where some one found one on Autolumination.com, part #FH0436/ 3211-215-320.

The turn signal/hazard flasher is above the steering column on the left hand side if you are lying on your back with your head towards the front of the car with it being the rear most relay(toward the firewall, iirc) on the left. I couldn't figure out the tab or whatever so I just unplugged the factory one, plugged in the new one and tucked it.

Tested it and it worked perfectly, not hyper flash! Oddly enough if the hazards are on it wouldn't hyper flash even with the stock unit but once you used just a turn signal then it would hyper flash. I also went ahead and removed the rear turn signal bulb since Misfire has the amber LED halo rings for the turn signals.

The Antline switch back LED bulbs are noticeably brighter than the stock incandescent bulbs and again while I prefer amber for the front running light, the contrast makes the turn signal more noticeable, imo.

Overall I am very happy the results, even though both projects took a total of about 12hrs, and now all the exterior lights are LED minus the reverse lights and high beams. I plan on doing custom LED taillights so I don't know if I will replace the reverse light bulbs with LED's in the mean time but I do plan on replacing the high beam bulbs with LED or HID bulbs.

My one grip is how far the MK4 VW Jetta side markers stick out because on the Jetta that area is recessed so they don't stick out very much. If i reuse them when I do the fender vents then I will figure out a way to recess them.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 03-09-2021 at 01:00 AM.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (03-09-2021),lucmor444 (03-09-2021),MiataQuest (03-09-2021),Paul B (03-10-2021)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    Dam those side markers are super nice!
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Marco! I still honestly wish they were available in amber/red lenses but the smoked looks pretty good.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (03-22-2021)

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81112131415161718192021222324 LastLast