Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'I told you, you'd be back' build of Misfire, my NB2 w/ F1 inspiration

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    04-11-20: Like most everyone else this "shelter in place" is making me think of new ways to stay busy and entertain myself. So yesterday I decided to take another look at using the custom carbon fiber NB gauge overlay Jacey aka darealricerocket made but I buggered up a bit.

After some checking I decided it was salvageable and most the imperfections wouldn't be noticeable. After a bit more grinding with a die grinder I decided it was as good as it was going to get.

On its own the imperfections are much more apparent but once it is on the cluster face with the Garage5 gauge rings(that I have had for over 2.5yrs!) and grommets they mostly disappear.

Unfortunately I don't yet have the Revlimiter lenses but that will just give me something to look forward to. Had to let the adhesive setup over night so that was as far as i could go last night.

This morning I got back to it and well will let the pictures do the talking.

I'm VERY happy with the results! One other custom piece that may have gone unnoticed it this...

A custom carbon fiber trip reset that I made. Basically just measured the oem trip reset and bought a bit bigger carbon fiber tube and some plastic cap inserts.

In time I will get the Revlimiter lenses and custom F1 Stage 2 gauges that are styled after the incredible McLaren F1, which is actually the cluster I took inspiration from.

Not going for a exact copy just picking up some of the major styling factors. Till then I will thoroughly enjoy the new cluster overlay!
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Cermivelli (05-21-2020),lucmor444 (04-12-2020),MiataQuest (04-11-2020),oldgrayleather (05-21-2020),Paul B (04-13-2020),tsingson (04-12-2020)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    04-26-20: I have a bad habit of getting parts and then letting them sit around for a while before installing...not really on purpose, life just gets in the way some times.

The previously installed DanDak LED dome/map light was actually a byproduct of wanting to get this custom NB 3rd brake light from Dan.

33 individual LED's!

That is one well built unit for sure with a easy pnp connector.

Dan was a real pleasure to work with as previously mentioned and will be doing a review on the 3rd brake light as well so not going to really going into that aspect but will have a link here for more information. (Review: https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...207#post236207 )

Received both the LED dome/map light and 3rd brake light back in February and really wish I had gotten them installed at the same time. Installation is easy enough.

Basically remove the two plastic retaining nuts that is on the backside of the 3rd brake light that also holds the wiring, this was honestly the biggest pain of the install. Then remove the two 10mm nuts holding the 3rd brake light on and you also have to remove the license plate lights to gain access to the plastic tabs on the 3rd brake light that you need to depress to go thru the hole on the back of the trunk.

Once out it will look like so....

....as you can see the gasket is dry rotted which is not surprising as I'm confident it is the original, so nearly 20 years old.

I used a flat head screw driver to scrap the old gasket off, then GooGone to remove the residue and finally rubbing alcohol to get to this point.

I had previously priced a new OEM gasket and the CHEAPEST i found it was $16 plus shipping! I don't think so. The roll of 1/8"x3" insulation with adhesive back side would do nicely. This roll I bought over 5 years ago to seal the radiator to fan shroud housing on Warbird and I am just about half way thru the roll....I think it cost less than $10 at Home Depot and have used it countless times. If you get this from Dan he sells the OEM gasket for $14 so get it thru him if you want a OEM gasket.

I just cut strips wide enough to fill the gap and did three layers to get it to a acceptable thickness that seemed to seal nicely against the trunk, final result:

You need to open the housing by depressing a tab on each side and be careful as its hinge is plastic so don't open it to far or fast or it will probably break. I used the supplied shoe glue to install the unit into the housing.

As you can see it is a perfect fit! I let the glue set up for 20 minutes, per the instruction on the glue, before handling it and reinstalling. Obviously doesn't look any different installed but here it is in action:
    https://youtu.be/jDX7kFhSJAQ

Very happy with the results! I think the regular sequential looks best but think this option(flashing three times sequentially then stays on) offers the best visibility enhancement which is the main reason for the modification.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 05-05-2020 at 09:46 PM.
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Bryan (05-05-2020),Cermivelli (05-21-2020),oldgrayleather (05-21-2020),tsingson (05-05-2020)

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,601 Times in 1,399 Posts
    Don't feel bad. Between COVID and some medical issues, nothing's happened on my car since I parked it in Oct/Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
    I dont know a word you just said, but that **** sounded COOL.

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    @Bryan: Keep your head up Bryan! Tick will be there when you get the time!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (05-21-2020)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    05-10-20:This update was one that has kind of changed...let me explain. Misfire has been in need of a shifter rebuild for some time so I finally picked up a 5x Racing shifter rebuild kit with bronze bushing and a eBay short throw shifter kit that I was going to have my cousin make a shift extender for since the shifter was a two piece design, thus allowing me to go from a standard height to a tall shifter with ease.

Well that plan kind of went out the window after recently seeing several fellow Miata enthusiast getting a GRacing short throw shifter(sts) and providing positive feedback. This is a shifter that I have been intrigued by since seeing it about a year or so ago. It essentially eliminates ALL of the pieces normally in a shifter rebuild kit(lower boot, all washers/spacers and shift bushing-which means some NVH from the metal on metal contact), this was one BIG plus in my opinion.

This interest actually predates this particular shifter as I was extremely interested in the IRP sts which is very similar but with some adjustment capability and around $450 price tag($500 ATM), ouch!

I decided to see if Keith at GRacing might have one of his version 1.0 for a discounted rate. He said he was only selling those to dedicated race cars, that is obviously his right. I then checked out his site, www.gracingshifters.com , and found he offered multiple options. He also had some new videos of the shifters in action. I also checked out a few videos on YouTube where other enthusiast had/used them.

I decided to take the plunge and order one with the tall carbon fiber shift knob. Keith was very quick to respond via email(the next morning)and text(within minutes) and had the shipping label printed the same day as payment and the shifter shipped by the next business day(Monday as I ordered on Friday) and I received it Thursday. Great customer service!

Ok, enough teasing, here is the GRacing sts w/ tall carbon fiber shift knob(2.5" taller than the standard cf shift knob, iirc).

As you can see it is a "one piece design", the only separate parts are the turret mounting bolts.

First thing first was taking up some measurements of the OEM shifter throw distance from gear to gear. I took a sewing measuring tape(flexible kind) and secured it to the radio bezel and then to a fastener for the parcel carpet. Obviously not perfect measurements but they were consistent and were as follows:
    1st to 2nd: 5"-8.25"=3.25"
    2nd to 3rd: 8.25"-5"=3.25"
    3rd to 4th: 5"-8.25"=3.25"
    4th to 5th: 8.25"-4.75"=3.5"
    5th to R: 4.75"-8"=3.25"

I took pictures but I also took a video so I deleted the pics as it seemed redundant, here is the video of the OEM shifter.
    https://youtu.be/znIflzKnteY

I got to work installing it and as expected both shift boots were torn and the shift bushing had completely disintegrated.

Here is a comparison of the OEM 5spd shifter vs the GRacing sts.

As the shifter eliminates the need for everything except for a top shift boot which I didn't think a OEM one would work...I decided to try to make my own setup with some rubber gasket material, thin aluminum and a CV boot. Well the gasket material was ordered but wouldn't arrive till Tuesday.

I went ahead and bought a CV boot locally as it was about the same price as Amazon or similar if bought online thru Advance Auto with a 20% off coupon code. Ironically enough the one I bought, Beck Arnley #1032824, is actually for NBs, the inner CV joint.

As it turned out, the upper shift boot was torn just past the second "rib" of the boot which just so happen allowed the CV boot to fit snugly over it! Went ahead and cleaned out the shifter turret and installed the GRacing shifter, all the 5mm Allen head bolts, lol. I did put some Lucas Red N Tacky grease on the end of the shifter to reduce friction and zip tied the top side of the CV boot to the shifter.

I heated up the CV boots small end so i could stretch it over the shift knob since it isn't removable and I put tow layers of clear plastic wrap and used soapy water as lubricant to slip the CV boot of the shift knob.

I also found that the OEM shifter boot wouldn't fit over the shift knob so I had to cut a little of the top off, once again necessary since the shift knob isn't removable. Keith does offer a option to make the top the same pitch/thread size to fit a removable shift knob.

All back together.

I once again setup the same measuring tape and took measurements of the throw from gear to gear with the GRacing, here are those results:
    1st to 2nd: 5.75"-8.25"=2.5"
    2nd to 3rd: 8.25"-5.75"=2.5"
    3rd to 4th: 5.75"-8"=2.25"
    4th to 5th: 8"-5.5"=2.5"
    5th to R: 5.5"-8"=2.5"

So a difference of 0.75" from stock. One thing to note is that since this shifter is MUCH taller, logic tells me that the actual decrease between the two is more significant. Here is a video of the GRacing:
    https://youtu.be/tPJW3uF6mp4

And one just going thru the gears w/o the measuring tape.
    https://youtu.be/X3YZF-Kqahc

Now I previously had a standard height MiataRoadster sts and then a MR tall angled sts and loved them but REALLY like the tall angled. I would still recommend the MR to most but the GRacing adds that little bit of feel and seems like it is a shorter throw....that obviously isn't a fair assessment w/o being a back to back comparison.

The one glaring issue of the GRacing is the occasional rattle from the metal to metal contact which isn't bad, imo, and not constant. I REALLY like it but can honestly say that I think the standard height carbon fiber knob version would have suited me just as well. The height is really nice though as you can basically transition your shift hand from the steering wheel to the shift knob.

I also went ahead and installed the SuperMiata clutch/safety neutral bypass(to reduce wear on the throw out bearing) ...

...that I bought along with a SuperMiata Organic clutch kit and SuperMiata ss clutch line which both will be installed in the next few weeks as Misfire's throw out bearing has been making noise since purchased and the clutch slips with the 200tw tires.

Went ahead and got a lightweight flywheel(11.xxlbs) and AWR 70D dropped motor mounts(lowers engine 0.3") that will get installed at the same time as well as a few other parts.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Cermivelli (05-21-2020),HarryB (05-12-2020),oldgrayleather (05-21-2020)

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    I'm curious how you will like the mounts. Mine annoyed the mess out of me.

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I'm curious how you will like the mounts. Mine annoyed the mess out of me.
    I actually had AWR 70D motor mounts on Warbird and loved them! There current 70 and 88 both use larger diameter bushings now to help reduce NVH and they are about to offer 62 but they aren't finished up yet.

I honestly was going to go with Blackbird Fabworx dropped motor mounts but one day I mentioned previously having AWR mounts and Ali w/ AWR reached out to say they were having a sell on their Miata motor mounts. Long story short she displayed fantastic customer service, even sending me a tshirt and swag pack just for previously supporting them. Ali's customer service secured my future business.

I was so impressed with her I called AWR and spoke with Tony(owner/her father) to commend her for her due diligence. We spoke for 15-20 minutes, really a great guy! AWR is a family owned business and have a great reputation. A guy I worked with at the Porsche shop even knew them because he owned a garage near AWR and spoke very highly of them.

Urethane motor mounts are not for everyone but the increased NVH is well the drive train stability. To me the best comparison is urethane motor mounts make the car feel more like a old muscle car, you rev the motor and you feel it too. Once I located the half dozen or so sources of rattling and fixed them, they didn't bother me. Even my wife never complained about them.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 05-18-2020 at 11:02 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (05-21-2020)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    A walk around video if you missed it in the other thread.

Have any questions or comments feel free to raise your hand...I mind speak up.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Cermivelli (05-21-2020),HarryB (05-21-2020),oldgrayleather (05-21-2020)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    You have been a busy man Chad!! I don't know how in the world I've missed all these updates! Great update. Now it's time to sit back and watch your walk thru!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-23-2020)

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Love this car. You need to get on that Torsen, son.

And don't lie to us: you've done a LOT

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrayleather View Post
    You have been a busy man Chad!! I don't know how in the world I've missed all these updates! Great update. Now it's time to sit back and watch your walk thru!
    Thanks Pete! It happens, I try to keep up with all the builds but it's not always easy.

Love this car. You need to get on that Torsen, son.

And don't lie to us: you've done a LOT
    Appreciate that, Bryan! A LSD is the next "big ticket item" after coilovers. I actually met someone from out of state at COTA for the GTA race earlier this year that has a OS Giken equipped rear that he said he would sell me for like $700! So that is what I will hopefully get or I will just pick up a third member. Open diffs are such a party pooper.

I don't think I have done that much to Misfire but I guess I need to stop comparing Misfire to Warbird since my income isn't what it was then. I have done maybe a dozen or so modifications on Misfire in 3yrs where as Warbird already had about 8x that many in three years and Warbird was literally a blank canvas being completely stock, where as Misfire already had a decent amount of modifications.

Still I'm not disappointed by any means as I see plenty of enthusiast do builds on really tight budgets and I think that just forces one to be more creative and do alot more DIY projects that otherwise they might find a part just to purchase. I certainly know I have had lots of ideas that are/would be relatively low cost projects and just cost time, more or less.

Plus the harder you work to achieve something the more you appreciate it and while I appreciated what I had accomplished with Warbird I did kind of take for granted, to a certain extent, that I was typically buying something for the build at least once or twice a month. YOLO
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 07-11-2020 at 10:07 PM.

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    T
    I don't think I have done that much to Misfire but I guess I need to stop comparing Misfire to Warbird since my income isn't what it was then. I have done maybe a dozen or so modifications on Misfire in 3yrs where as Warbird already had about 8x that many in three years and Warbird was literally a blank canvas being completely stock, where as Misfire already had a decent amount of modifications.

Still I'm not disappointed by any means as I see plenty of enthusiast do builds on really tight budgets and I think that just forces one to be more creative and do alot more DIY projects that otherwise they might find a part just to purchase. I certainly know I have had lots of ideas that are/would be relatively low cost projects and just cost time, more or less.

Plus the harder you work to achieve something the more you appreciate it and while I appreciated what I had accomplished with Warbird I did kind of take for granted, to a certain extent, that I was typically buying something for the build at least once or twice a month. YOLO
    I'm jealous. I wish I had the time, budget, skill, or confidence to do as much as you have!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    I'm jealous. I wish I had the time, budget, skill, or confidence to do as much as you have!
    While I appreciate the sentiment, Bryan but I don't think you give yourself enough credit. I think you are every bit as capable/skilled as me but I think your humbleness(not a bad thing) just makes you feel/think otherwise.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

tsingson (05-23-2020)

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    While I appreciate the sentiment, Bryan but I don't think you give yourself enough credit. I think you are every bit as capable/skilled as me but I think your humbleness(not a bad thing) just makes you feel/think otherwise.
    Could be. I'm trying to sort out some issues.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Sometimes a sick child or parent can completely reorganize one’s priorities.

No todo que es oro brilla.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

Martin (05-23-2020),tsingson (05-23-2020)

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast