Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'I told you, you'd be back' build of Misfire, my NB2 w/ F1 inspiration

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    No worries man. I understand.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-15-2017)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Paul B's Avatar
    Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 575 Posts
    That is the best dipstick ever. I broke my dipstick just so I could use the Project G handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
    Misfire can be SO many things. That was one of the problems that plagued my supercharger install on Sharka. I also used the powercard. Probably pretty similar setups.

If I remember right, the EGR can cause the ECU to set a misfire code. At least it could on the NA OBDII ECU. You might take apart the EGR system and clean it very very well.

Crap injectors can also contribute. I'm a big fan of Redline's injector cleaner. It's nothing as good as known, fresh injectors, but it can help.

Closing the plug gap down even as far as .025 can help too.
    Thanks for the tips, Adam! I THINK I have it figured out...we will see...more on that in a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieH View Post
    Oh, that reminds me. The NB dipstick is longer than the NA one. I just found this out a couple days ago. A friend of mine is doing a T-belt service on a 90K '00 NB, and his hand slipped off the VC while he was looking at something else, and he inadvertently snapped the dipstick handle. Anyways, he had a spare NA handle sitting around and thought he might be able to use it. I think he said it was about a half inch shorter.

So the both of ya should be mindful of that.
    Thanks for the head up Jamie!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
    To Chad:

I hope you enjoy your new part. I also have some other parts I will be selling for your supercharged NB that came off my NB, if interested please contact me.

Also for the misfire, try blocking the EGR (the pipe going to the intake manifold.) and either check the PCV valve it may be leaking at idle, or design a VTA catch can. It will dramatically improve and possibly revolve the misfire issues you have with the car.
    Thank you Eli! I believe I will! Thank you for the ideas and I THINK I have it figured out....

Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    No worries man. I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    That is the best dipstick ever. I broke my dipstick just so I could use the Project G handle.
    Agreed, Paul! I meant to pick one up when they first came out and the next thing I knew Project G slipped under the radar and don't seem to active in the Miata community and this was one of the parts that are not currently available.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Paul B (04-24-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    04-24-17: Since I brought the nb2 home I have had a 'miss' that turned into a full blown 'misfire' and caused it to be parked for the past two weeks. One step colder plugs fixed it for a day, new coil packs did nothing, tried replacing the cam and crank sensor with good used pieces...they did nothing.

Then the week before last, when working on it I found this...

...that is a very cracked vacuum hose that went from the supercharger bypass to the throttle body. The cracks SEEMED superficial but I had the vacuum line so I replaced it...

...it seemed to idle better. Took it for a drive and it drove fine! Well that lasted less than a day!!

Then I decided to start hunting for more vacuum leaks. Bought like 6 feet of several size vacuum lines, some carb cleaner and started spraying....nothing. Then I got inside the car and heard what sounded like a vacuum leak....then it struck me and I got under the dash and found this...

...may be hard to tell what it is but it is the vacuum line that goes to the powercard and it had a small split just above the nipple it attached to. Cut the end off but couldn't get back on! I actually had to remove some of the plastic for the hole that the nipple protruded thru to get enough room for the vacuum line to go all the way on.

Easy enough...then I started it again and STILL heard a vacuum leak! Looked around some more on the inside and found this...

....another vacuum line with just a piece of electric tape at the end that had been tucked up under the hvac! It probably went to a boost gauge that is no longer there so I decided to just plug it for now. Started it back up and still these fault codes persisted...

...that was it for that day, as far as trouble shooting goes but I did find out I needed a new air filter....

....it was actually worse than it looks. Once removed the metal seam fell off and saw that the neck that a hose clamp would normally hold it on had been cut off and it was simply slipped on!! My bad.

Then last Friday I removed the plugs and found that the number 2 cylinder plug looked brand new as there was almost no carbon on it, unlike the others. So it wasn't getting spark and or fuel, thus the misfire. Pat aka patsmx5 has been helping me trouble shoot and he suggested I check the wiring for the powercard after seeing the plugs. Ironically this is exactly what I was doing as he texted me.

I tugged on one or two of the connections and one of the wires came loose! It was a purple w/ green stripe, I had no doubt this was for the number two fuel injector. After a quick Google search and no wiring diagram for the nb2, I knew Pat would have one. Sure enough he did and emailed it to me and sure enough that wire was for the number 2 fuel injector!

The soldering job was less than adequate and thus the wiring coming loose and seemingly causing the misfire issue. Unfortunately I was going out of town that evening and had to call it a day.

This evening I was able to get back at it and fixed that wire connection for the powercard. Started it up and still it had a terrible idle! Checked the fault codes and this time it said there was a misfire on cylinder four!! So I went ahead and redid the connections for cylinder four and three fuel injectors as they seemed flimsy but left the one for cylinder one fuel injector alone as it seemed much stronger and it had already been cut close to the ecu connection and didn't want to risk not having enough wire to fix it.

Started it up and it idled(and revved on occasion) great for about 15 minutes with no misfire code returning! Unfortunately I couldn't test drive it given the absence of a air filter and couldn't find one locally as it is a 3'' I.D. that is only 4" long and just over 3" wide. The DDM Works supercharge intake box originally came with a UNI foam filter(#UN-4300) so I just ordered a 2 Stage version of eBay, so hopefully it will be here this week and I can confirm the issue has been resolved.

I also received a broken oil dipstick from Mike aka chiefmg to mate to my Project G Precision Series dipstick handle, big thanks to Mike for sending it to me and he wouldn't even let me cover postage! Thanks again Mike!
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (04-25-2017),freedomgli (04-27-2017),HarryB (04-25-2017),JamieH (04-24-2017),NCGreasemonkey (04-24-2017)

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 527 Posts
    I'm starting to think the person who installed the M45 on mine it came with originally did yours as well. It too had piss-poor soldering of some wiring (I had the connection for the narrow band AFR come loose on a trip with the wife). Plus they used speaker wire for some areas where they needed a longer run.

Hopefully that dipstick isn't broken too far down for you to use. Can't wait to see how it looks with that Project G top.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-26-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Yikes! Hope it is all sorted out now!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-26-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    I'm starting to think the person who installed the M45 on mine it came with originally did yours as well. It too had piss-poor soldering of some wiring (I had the connection for the narrow band AFR come loose on a trip with the wife). Plus they used speaker wire for some areas where they needed a longer run.

Hopefully that dipstick isn't broken too far down for you to use. Can't wait to see how it looks with that Project G top.
    So far the powercard wiring issue seems to be the only rather poorly done work, even the alarm seems to have been done well...there is ALOT of wires under that dash that wasn't there when it came from Mazda. I'm grateful that they seem to have bought quality parts but poor installation can definitely cause just as many issues down the road.

Nope already test it, perfect! Thanks! Will take pics and install tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    Yikes! Hope it is all sorted out now!
    No kidding, Harry! I think I have it sorted now...

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    04-26-17: Received the Stage 2 UNI foam pod filter 3''I.D.x4''L, part# UP-4300ST.....

.....of course it took all of two minutes, or less, to install....

....as you can see below the filter couldn't have been much longer and still fit.

After installing the filter I let it idle to warm up and had to restart it twice before it would continue to idle and not die...not sure what that is all about. Maybe the ecu was 'getting to know' the different used MAF...I don't know. After that I went for a quick 'shakedown' and drove it for about two miles or so at a 'steady/brisk pace' and it seemed to drive great and no CEL of any sort, although I am confident the one for the secondary o2 sensor will return.

I would like to call this issue fixed but I have thought and said this before and have been wrong more than once...so I will hold off on making that mistake again. I guess the one positive, other than some good old knowledge/experience gained, is I have decided on a name for the m45 equipped NB2....*drum roll*....Misfire!

Yes, the issue that has plagued my first few weeks of ownership of this NB2 will now be the name that will be bestowed upon it for as long as we are together! It actually started as nothing more than a comical response to Jeovany aka Jormungandr inquiry on Instagram as to if I had thought of a name and I said something to the effect of, 'at this point it should be Misfire' but the more I thought about it the more I liked it and the first choice was shot down by my wife.

I have even already come up with a emblem for it thanks to some inspiration from the racing world that is very close to my F1 theme/inspiration but that will have to wait for another time.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (04-27-2017),JamieH (04-27-2017),NCGreasemonkey (04-26-2017),oldgrayleather (04-27-2017),Paul B (04-26-2017),tsingson (04-27-2017)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 433 Posts
    While most people would run away from an old modified Miata like this one, you have enough experience and perseverance to stick with it and restore/update this car to a condition much better than you found it. Save the Miatas! Haha. I always liked the over the top TDR intercooler piping. Glad you got your misfire situation sorted.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freedomgli For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-27-2017),HarryB (04-27-2017),JamieH (04-27-2017),oldgrayleather (04-27-2017),Paul B (04-27-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Just a quick thought, but what about Ms. Fire? On the nose, but it's there for the taking.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-27-2017),RustRat (04-28-2017),tsingson (04-27-2017)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Or even Miss Fyre.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-27-2017),JamieH (04-27-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
    While most people would run away from an old modified Miata like this one, you have enough experience and perseverance to stick with it and restore/update this car to a condition much better than you found it. Save the Miatas! Haha. I always liked the over the top TDR intercooler piping. Glad you got your misfire situation sorted.
    Not sure if this makes me have more confidence in my decision or think I am not as smart as everyone else. Thanks, Kyle! I appreciate the vote of confidence and I will certainly give it my best as always!

Quote Originally Posted by JamieH View Post
    Just a quick thought, but what about Ms. Fire? On the nose, but it's there for the taking.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    Or even Miss Fyre.
    Those are both really great ideas...wish I had thought of the 'play on words'. Thanks for the input and GREAT idea but I think I will stick with Misfire.

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    04-27-17: Misfire got a little more attention today with the removal and addition of a few parts. First I started on the outside and decided to shed a few pounds and make Misfire more 'aerodynamic' by getting rid of a few parts, namely the front license plate bracket and mesh grille...

.....much better! Next I grabbed the broken dipstick that Mike aka chiefmg so kindly donated....

.....installed the Project G Precision Series oil dipstick handle...

....and went from this...

.....to this...

....oh that's nice, real nice! Thanks again to Mike aka chifemg for the broken oil dipstick and to Eli aka Hyper for the Project G Precision Series oil dipstick handle!

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

91BRG (11-19-2018),HarryB (04-28-2017),Hyper (05-06-2017),JamieH (04-27-2017),Paul B (04-27-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    That dipstick looks horrible. You should totally sell it to me.

Man, it really is a nice piece.

And smart move on getting rid of that airflow restriction. Because that's just what a boosted car needs./s

Looks better too.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-04-2017),RustRat (04-28-2017)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Betty is eay too nice for a piece like that. My crap NB on the other hand......

Lookin' good Chad!

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-04-2017),JamieH (04-27-2017)

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast