Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'I told you, you'd be back' build of Misfire, my NB2 w/ F1 inspiration

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    I like the steering wheel. It is different from anything I have seen on Miatas before, and it fits the F1 theme. What also hit me as fitting to the F1 theme, are the carbon/kevlar trims. Do you consider keeping those? You can add a similar plate/cover for the gauge panel as well...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-07-2017)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieH View Post
    I like where this is going. You may need to get some guages from Adam so you can see what's going on with such a small wheel... oh the horror./s

Nudge, nudge.
    Thank you, Jamie! As far as the gauge cut off goes, see my below quote from that post.

Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    Also this is more or less my view of the gauges, so some gauge cut off but that is okay since I plan on getting some custom Revlimiter gauges that will have a 1 o'clock zero position.

Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    I tried the 14s on my NB and while they looked nice, I did prefer the 15s. Hence the powdercoated 15x8 +28. But the 14s felt awesome when accelerating. And I second hitting up Ly. Gave me a banging deal on my RPFs.
    I hear you Anthony and I remember you got a set and I liked them personally. Pretty sure I voted for you to keep them.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    I like the steering wheel. It is different from anything I have seen on Miatas before, and it fits the F1 theme. What also hit me as fitting to the F1 theme, are the carbon/kevlar trims. Do you consider keeping those? You can add a similar plate/cover for the gauge panel as well...
    Thanks, Harry! I REALLY hope I like it because I too have never seen this exact wheel period. The carbon/Kevlar trim is in poor condition and even if it wasn't it would go. Now if it was carbon fiber and in good condition it would stay. I LOVE carbon fiber.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

tsingson (05-07-2017)

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Hmmmmm... Real CF would be great. If you consider hydrodipped parts, Peter (RustRat) had some bits, not sure if he still does. Else, I assume you could wrap the OEM parts in a layer of CF. Not a very hard DIY job, but needs patience and practice. Ben (bcpopham) might also be able to help you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-08-2017)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Paul B's Avatar
    Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 575 Posts
    Would you recommend the circuit sports hub? Sounds like it was a pain to get it all working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    Hmmmmm... Real CF would be great. If you consider hydrodipped parts, Peter (RustRat) had some bits, not sure if he still does. Else, I assume you could wrap the OEM parts in a layer of CF. Not a very hard DIY job, but needs patience and practice. Ben (bcpopham) might also be able to help you.
    Hydrodipped has crossed my mind at least for the valve cover. Not a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    Would you recommend the circuit sports hub? Sounds like it was a pain to get it all working.
    For a pnp option for a street car that you want horn function...no. I think I'm going to do a push button for the horn temporarily and either try again or possibly go to a Dakei hub.

This hub doesn't have a copper/brass plate on the back like my previous nrg slim hub, which i just ran the horn button to one of the screws for the clockspring and had a bent paper clip between the wire and screw...that easy. At first I didn't like the quick release but it is just different than my previous nrg 2.0. After using it a few times I like it fine and it LOOKS like a better design but I am no expert just going off what I can see since the locking system is visible.
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (05-08-2017),Paul B (05-08-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    05-08-17: First things first....the Sparco 310mm steering wheel. I REALLY like it! It really makes Misfire feel like a street legal gokart! BUT the top cut makes the upper portion of the gauges unreadable(tach from 4k-6k and speedo from 60mph-80mph) at my height(5'10)/ seating postion which is basically all the way back with a slight decline of the seat backwards.

Nothing a custom set of 1 or 2 o'clock zero postion Revlimiter gauges won't fix! Also the turn signal indicators can't be seen...no big deal there but I do like watching them do their thing.

Got home from work and test fitted one of the 14x7 +19mm Enkei RPF1's on the front to ensure proper fitment, even though the car came equipped with a 'standard suspension' and thus should have 10'' front brakes and not the larger 11'' 'sport brakes' that would/could make brake caliper clearance an issue. See for yourself...

...looks like the 10" brakes to me and a close up...

...plenty of clearance! Also confirmed what appears to be a 01-05 1.2'5' tubular Racing Beat sway bar w/ brace/blocks and Racing Beat end links.

Then after loading up the wheels and tires I was off to Discount Tire to get them mounted/balanced and here is the end result.

I am very happy with this combo! The Falken Azenis RT615k+(200tw) tires have so much more traction/grip even in the 195/60/14's in comparison to the Yokohama YK580(195/55/15) all seasons that they replaced. I haven't gotten on the throttle a lot to see what they do up against the approx. 8psi/180whp(estimated) that the m45 should make but just driving 'normally' and getting up to speed it was a huge improvement.

I guess my ONLY complaint is there looks to be more wheel/fender gap then before even though this combo is about the same overall height...nothing that some coilovers won't fix.

I also decided to weigh the chrome acorn lug nuts and wheel lock lug nuts(one per wheel)....

...they were 1lb 6 ounces and I weighed the 949 Racing forged aluminum lug nuts(that are much larger physically) and valve stems...

...they were only 15 ounces! So 7 ounces(over 0.5lb) of weight savings just from lug nuts! That is pretty cool in my humble opinion. I am also going to weigh and measure both tire/wheel combos but have to go back for the oem 15'' 5 spokes/tires tomorrow and give a total weight savings difference.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 08-07-2020 at 04:58 PM.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (05-09-2017),JamieH (05-09-2017),MiataQuest (05-15-2017),Paul B (05-08-2017),tsingson (05-09-2017)

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    New wheels look amazing Chad, but it now screams for lowering!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-09-2017),Paul B (05-09-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    @HarryB: Thank you, Harry! You are so right...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (05-10-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    05-09-17: I am thoroughly enjoying the new wheels/tires! Misfire feels like a proper Miata now with some good sticky tires!! I went and picked up the 15's from Discount Tire, so when I got home I measured the 15x6'' NB 5 spoke w/ 195/55/15 Yokohama Y580....

...30lbs according to my cheap home scale. Then I took off one of the 14x7 +19mm Enkei RPF1's w/ 195/60/14 Falken Azenis RT615K+ and weighed it...

....26lbs, which considering the 14x7 RPF1 is supposed to be 8.6lbs and the tire(according to Tire Rack) is 19lbs makes me think the scale is probably off by a pound or so. Still a 4lb difference per corner isn't bad, imo.

I also picked up a cheap push button for a temporary horn but couldn't find a good spot to put it that would make it easily accessible in the even of an emergency. So I decided to just get a pnp hub.

Looked up MiataRoadster.com and checked out the Daikei unit and called to speak with Bill to see how soon I could get it and he said a week since it comes from Japan but he said he had Works Bell hubs in stock and about $25 cheaper. I said I would check it out and let him know. Looked up CircuitSports site to ensure the V2 quick release would work with it and found that it had to be a 70mm PCD(Momo pattern) and fortunately the Works Bell hub(tall/3'') has both patterns, so I ordered it.

I know some might think it is silly to eliminate the air bag then get so worked up about not having a horn but I can't tell you how many times using the horn has kept someone from hitting me, it is a must have in my opinion and just as important of a safety item. Anyone need a slightly used CircuitSport 55mm hub?

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

MiataQuest (05-15-2017),NCGreasemonkey (05-10-2017),oldgrayleather (05-10-2017),Paul B (05-09-2017),tsingson (05-09-2017)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    05-09-17: I am thoroughly enjoying the new wheels/tires! Misfire feels like a proper Miata now with some good sticky tires!! I went and picked up the 15's from Discount Tire, so when I got home I measured the 15x6'' NB 5 spoke w/ 195/55/15 Yokohama Y580....

...30lbs according to my cheap home scale. Then I took off one of the 14x7 +19mm Enkei RPF1's w/ 195/60/14 Falken Azenis RT615K+ and weighed it...

....26lbs, which considering the 14x7 RPF1 is supposed to be 8.6lbs and the tire(according to Tire Rack) is 19lbs makes me think the scale is probably off by a pound or so. Still a 4lb difference per corner isn't bad, imo.

I also picked up a cheap push button for a temporary horn but couldn't find a good spot to put it that would make it easily accessible in the even of an emergency. So I decided to just get a pnp hub.

Looked up MiataRoadster.com and checked out the Daikei unit and called to speak with Bill to see how soon I could get it and he said a week since it comes from Japan but he said he had Works Bell hubs in stock and about $25 cheaper. I said I would check it out and let him know. Looked up CircuitSports site to ensure the V2 quick release would work with it and found that it had to be a 70mm PCD(Momo pattern) and fortunately the Works Bell hub(tall/3'') has both patterns, so I ordered it.

I know some might think it is silly to eliminate the air bag then get so worked up about not having a horn but I can't tell you how many times using the horn has kept someone from hitting me, it is a must have in my opinion and just as important of a safety item. Anyone need a slightly used CircuitSport 55mm hub?
    Pm inbound

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (05-10-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    05-15-17: It is funny how adding a part(s) can show the short comings of another. Originally traction was limited by the tires due to the all season Yokohama Y580's and now with Falken Azenis RT615k+, traction really isn't an issue BUT I have now found that the clutch is more than likely a stock clutch(leaning towards it being a/the stock clutch since it only has 110k miles) or a worn aftermarket unit as it wants to slip at times....oh well guess the hard launches and 'power shifting' will have to be kept to a minimum until the clutch is upgraded.

The other day I was looking at Aidan aka aidnadj's build thread and was admiring his RacePak that his roadster is equipped with and while I would love to do one....given the price...I don't think that will happen. I was chatting up Adam aka Revlimiter and brought it up and how I liked the LED shift light's. Adam said he just so happened to have a LED shift light that he bought YEARS ago and never got around to installing it and would sell it to me if I wanted it. I said absolutely!

I asked Adam for some more details and pics of the unit and he 'did one better than that' and gave me a link to a thread that Flyin Miata posted about it, https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=210165 . It turned out to be a Datatool RevLight made for motorcycles back in the early 2000's and had been out of production since 2004! What are the odds that Adam aka RevLimiter has a sequential shift light called a RevLight! I thought that was too funny and wanted it that much more!

Money was sent and in true Revlimiter fashion Adam had the package out the next day and said he included a surprise! Which was no surprise because Adam always gives goodies but it is still exciting each time to see what it is, although it is usually a Hot Wheel...you never know what you are getting and who doesn't love getting more cars!

The package came in today and as usual Adam packaged it as if it was a present for a special occasion, like so....

....as a husband this really puts to shame pretty much every wedding anniversary present that I gave my wife in the 9 years of being married in regards to the packaging....but lets keep that between us.

What is in side all this lovely wrap?

As usual Adam out did his self and included some Revlimiter coasters, stickers, HiChew and two Hot Wheels...a 1985 Honda CRX(love these and had a '90 DX with a B16A swap myself) and...wait what is this....a Miata??

From the headlights and taillights it appears to be a 1999-2000 NB1 Miata circa 2000, very cool!! Thanks a lot for the NB1, Adam!

Now onto the reason for the package in the first place, the DataTool RevLight sequential LED shift tight with DataTool's instructions, Flyin Miata's instructions and everything else that came in it originally including some 3M alcohol wipes!

As you can see in the last pic it had a frame that you can remove it from and then it is flexible, again a neat feature in my opinion. Will hopefully get it installed later this week!

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (05-16-2017),JamieH (05-15-2017),tsingson (05-16-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    05-19-17: Had the day off from work so I took advantage of the extra time to install the Datatool RevLight. So obviously the first thing was to figure out where to put it. I had already thought about it and it didn't take but a few minutes in the driver seat looking at possible locations to figure it out....I spy with my little eye the perfect location....

...do you see it? :dunno: This help...

....doesn't it look like it just belongs there? I think so. This pic shows just how perfectly it fits...

....then with just a few cuts with a box cutter there was a place for the wires to pass thru.

After that came wiring it up which was pretty easy and I just followed Flyin Miata's instructions found on this page: https://www.flyinmiata.com/support/misc_installs.php

Up next was the 'hard part', programming it. It literally took me at least an hour. Really not sure why it took so long....it just didn't seem to want to cooperate. I read the instructions at least a dozen times and they are pretty simple and straight forward so maybe I am dense....either way I finally got it, see for yourself.

There is six green LED's and it is programmed for the last one to light up at 4500 RPM's and then there are three amber LED's and the third amber comes on at 6000 RPM's...

...and then there are two red LED's and the second red comes on at 7000 RPM's...

...since you can only program it in increments of 500. It also has three different light modes that include cumulative, sequential and individual. The above is sequential which I found o be the most effective visually. The last 'dimple' on the display is a light sensor to dim the lights at night.

I have only driven a few miles but I REALLY like it. I will need to get better 3M double sided adhesive because it was the strong stuff and is a few years old and doesn't seem to stick to well.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 05-19-2017 at 08:46 PM.

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

91BRG (11-19-2018),HarryB (05-20-2017),JamieH (05-20-2017),MiataQuest (05-20-2017),NCGreasemonkey (05-19-2017),Paul B (05-19-2017),RustRat (05-19-2017)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Very cool!!!!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (06-25-2017)

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    That looks GREAT!!! I'm so glad it finally found a home. I bought it back in my competitive CSP Solo2 days, but it just never found its way onto Sharka.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (06-25-2017),HarryB (05-23-2017)

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Plus looks right at home with the F1 theme!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (06-25-2017)

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast