Thread: 5 lug conversion question

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! SpeedWorks's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 miata; current build
    Thanks Given

5 lug conversion question

Ok, so i've been looking around alot and still haven't found all the information I would need.

I know that I can use protege 5 front hubs on the rear and I can use rx7 hubs on the front with some machining and a sleeve.

What I can't find is what brakes would be the easiest to adapt to these setups.

I know this is a longshot, but i'm asking to see if anyone has complete information as to what parts total would be needed to do a full 5 lug conversion on an NA.

I need to know brake rotors, brake calipers and hubs used. I'm hoping someone has figured a way to do this will all off the shelf parts.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone RustRat's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given
    I've seen RX7 FC 4-pot calipers used with adapters on 4-lug hubs. So I guess you could use the whole brake assembly of an RX7 for the fronts. Again, I "guess". Never tried that. Never seen it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Apologies for the thread hijack, but may I ask why?

Drives
    '91 miata; current build
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by RustRat View Post
    I've seen RX7 FC 4-pot calipers used with adapters on 4-lug hubs. So I guess you could use the whole brake assembly of an RX7 for the fronts. Again, I "guess". Never tried that. Never seen it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RustRat; I too have seen setups running the RX7 calipers with adapters with the 4 lug hubs. I actually have a custom made setup using VW Corrado rotors and FD RX7 calipers for the front for one of my project cars. I just picked up another project so I would like to do a full 5 lug conversion, but i'm trying to do it as simple as possible with as many off the shelf parts as possible from other cars.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    Apologies for the thread hijack, but may I ask why?
    HarryB, I knew someone would ask why. There isn't a real reason other than because I want to. Why do Honda guys do 5 lug conversions, and the answer is because they can. The car that would get this needs just about all the parts I would need to do a conversion as it is so if I can change over to 5 lug now, why not.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpeedWorks For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (05-28-2017),HarryB (05-28-2017)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by speedworks View Post
    rustrat; i too have seen setups running the rx7 calipers with adapters with the 4 lug hubs. I actually have a custom made setup using vw corrado rotors and fd rx7 calipers for the front for one of my project cars. I just picked up another project so i would like to do a full 5 lug conversion, but i'm trying to do it as simple as possible with as many off the shelf parts as possible from other cars.

Harryb, i knew someone would ask why. There isn't a real reason other than because i want to. Why do honda guys do 5 lug conversions, and the answer is because they can. The car that would get this needs just about all the parts i would need to do a conversion as it is so if i can change over to 5 lug now, why not.

if you decide to go 5lug. I have first dibs on your wheels. They are mine.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    That covers it! Do you have a specific PCD in mind? I remember a guy at locost forums doing so a while back, searched a bit and here's what he came up with:

"I purchased 2 front hubs from a '95 Plymoth Neon and they were a direct fit onto the miata front spindle. The only thing needed to make these work is a spacer that would sit beneath the axle nut, as the wheel bearing on the inside of the front hub isn't as thick as the miata's. I think the spacer needed to be 6-7mm or so. The flange offset is also slightly different, changing the track width."

Drives
    '91 miata; current build
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
    if you decide to go 5lug. I have first dibs on your wheels. They are mine.
    Sorry my friend but this would be for my second miata that I just picked up. My wheels are not going anywhere. I will be making wheels for the 2nd car as well though.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    That covers it! Do you have a specific PCD in mind? I remember a guy at locost forums doing so a while back, searched a bit and here's what he came up with:

"I purchased 2 front hubs from a '95 Plymoth Neon and they were a direct fit onto the miata front spindle. The only thing needed to make these work is a spacer that would sit beneath the axle nut, as the wheel bearing on the inside of the front hub isn't as thick as the miata's. I think the spacer needed to be 6-7mm or so. The flange offset is also slightly different, changing the track width."
    Thanks for this info. I'm looking to go 5x4.5 or 5x114.3. I'm going to try using the protege 5 hubs on the rear and i'll figure out the brakes from there. Then i'll go to work on the fronts with a simpler setup hopefully