Thread: Miata Shift Knob Compatibility Chart

Idling - Listen to it purr... Irishguy's Avatar
    Drives
    White 1995 Miata
    Thanks Given

Miata Shift Knob Compatibility Chart

New guy here. I've been lurking for a while and finally going to start posting. This looks like a nice forum.

I've been thinking about switching from my Nardi leather steering wheel to a wooden wheel and thinking about switching from my aluminum ball shift knob to a wooden one (along with a wooden parking brake handle) to kind of carry on the theme.

While I was searching around I came across this chart that shows the thread diameter and pitch of various cars:

https://www.rpmoutlet.com/shift-knob-thread-pitch.htm

I thought it might come in handy for other folks searching for possibly compatible (vintage) shift knobs for their Miata.

Interesting that the Miata shares shift knob thread diameter and pitch with both the Geo Storm and Ferrari.

Hopefully this will help someone else.

Edited for clarity.
    Last edited by Irishguy; 12-26-2017 at 10:36 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Irishguy For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (12-27-2017)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    You have to take account for the taper on the stock shifter. Some shift knobs won't fit if the hole is too deep, regardless if the pitch is correct.

Drives
    White 1995 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thank you Jesus.

Seriously. Thanks for making that point. I guess I wasn't trying imply that all would fit, only that that chart at least shows which knobs had the same thread diameter and pitch.

I know some folks search for Mitsubishi Eclipse shift knobs.

A vintage Ferrari knob might be pretty cool with the right wheel.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I fit a Mazdaspeed shift knob from an RX-7 on my NA shifter, but I had to cut about 6-8mm off the aluminum base of the knob because of that taper.

Drives
    White 1995 Miata
    Thanks Given
    I've got a vintage wood steering wheel made in Italy by SWM off of eBay so I dug through my old Miata stuff and came up with a first generation Nardi knob from a 1991 BRG and a Parking brake handle both of which I refinished years ago. So I'm going to add a touch of wood to the all black interior of my Miata for a change of pace.

I'm thinking through some ideas to add a little weight to that shift knob though, because it's a little light. I may start another thread on that and another thread on vintage steering wheels, because I know there's a lot of expertise here on the forum and I feel myself being pulled down that rabbit hole...